The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trainer Info Help---Please?

Alright- maybe some of the racing folks here can help me out via PM.

I have Storm Gulch as many of you know. I bought him from Charlestown racetrack from a fellow poster/trainer on this board who now posts here too .

I am currently on the get-go to try and track down some photos of him in his racing days. He ran on the Derby Trail in his early racing years before being injured somewhere along the line....he came back to race until he was 8 though! My problem is that he had some very well known trainers in his early racing years which is going to make it extremely difficult to track down some pictures of him. The only thing i have to cling to right now are a few videos i found of him racing. I would really love to at least track down one win photo of him from his racing days to have.

I am going to list the names of his trainers that i know of from his paperwork that i have signed and documented here. Let me know (those of you who can look stuff up) if i missed anyone. If anyone has any contact info, address(id be happy to send snail mail too), email, phone #(although i do not want to call someone and bother them as i know trainers are busy folk). If any of you know these trainers, if you could drop a word to ask that would be more than appreciated. Anyways- PM me if you have any ideas as to how to track down the previous trainers/owners that are listed on his papers.

Steve Asmussen
    Michael Tabor
    Lebrechaun Racing/Management Inc.
    Loren G. Cox
    Bridget Sipp
    Louis Martinaitis
    The name David Hicks also showed up with the Sipp Martinatris partnership

He won 31,225 on 10/323/02 in an MSW at 6 furlongs at Keenland.
    On 5-31-04 he won 10,200 alowance at 6 furlongs at suffolk downs
    8/30/04 he won 5,400 6 furlongs at suffolk
    8/3/05 he won 3720 at 6 furlongs at suffolk
    another on 8/13/05 for same amount at 6 furlongs at suffolk
    8/29/05 he won 4,800 at 6 furlongs at suffolk
    on 8/4/06 he won 4,920 in 51/2 furlongs at TDN.
    on 9/29/06 he won 6,496 at 5 1/2 furlongs an mountaineer.
    Im not sure if everything was every recorded on his paperwork but i highly doubt it just by looking at it all. Some of it is kind of chicken scratchy and hard to read so im doing by best

This horse ran all over the place. Keeneland, Santa Anita, Penn, Mountaineer, Charlestown, Thiseldown, Arlington, Suffolk, and im not positive where else off the top of my head. He did run in the Sham Stakes at Santa Anita where i believe he was injured in that race. He came in dead last (very far back) and i believe that was his last race for a yr after.

Any help would be greatly appreciated- thanks for everything!

You can get the win photo by simply contacting the track photographer at the respective tracks where he has won.

im not even confident of where he has won. or if his photos still exist. hes 9 now.

His wins are listed on the back of his papers. The date and the track will be listed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    im not even confident of where he has won. or if his photos still exist. hes 9 now.
    for a few bucks you can purchase his lifetime PPs from equibase.com

(if you can't make out all those chicken scratchings, anyway).

But the ones you have, you could contact those tracks for photog information
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

His trainers probably won't have his win pictures, anyway. Buy his record off equineline or bris for $8 and contact the track photographers.

hey all-

i heard back from his first owners/trainers and they believe that they might have his first big win photo from keenland. The problem is that they had a fire a few years ago and believe that the win photos may have been lost in that fire. They are going to let me know in a few days if they find it or not.

How exciting !

You should get in touch with the track photographer at Suffolk Downs, Chip Bott. You can contact him by email, which is listed on his website. He's a nice guy and was very helpful to me when I was trying to get a racing photo of my filly (the closest she ever came to winning was finishing second by a nose.)

You will need to tell him your horse's name, the date of the race he won, and the number of the race that day (which can be found on a lifetime past performance report.)

hey all-

i heard back from his first owners/trainers and they believe that they might have his first big win photo from keenland. The problem is that they had a fire a few years ago and believe that the win photos may have been lost in that fire. They are going to let me know in a few days if they find it or not.

How exciting !
    You'd be even more excited if you looked up his dates he won and called the track photographer and ordered new pictures rather than spending time tracking down all the owners to hope they have the picture.

Farmgirl, not quite sure what you mean by you don't know where he won. You have various dates and racetracks where he won, or, if they were just places and I did not read closely enough, just go to brisnet.com or equibase and get the past performances (pps), for a small fee as some has already suggested. Then, just call the various track photographers and likely you will score a few pictures.
    Far quicker than calling up the old owners/trainers and less time consuming for them since, if they are successfu,l they have boxes of these photos.
    Last edited by Calamber; Apr. 23, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

thanks barnfairy! dick- im working on it...breath. I was just excited that they were actually willing to dig up the actual photo. Like i said...these photos would be older and probably non existant or thrown away by photographers by now. The newer races could be easier to track down

thanks barnfairy! dick- im working on it...breath. I was just excited that they were actually willing to dig up the actual photo. Like i said...these photos would be older and probably non existant or thrown away by photographers by now. The newer races could be easier to track down
    If I made my living selling photos, I certainly wouldn't throw away old film when there's bound to be several hundred requests a year for old pictures...just an educated guess.

im going off what ive been told. i heard that its harder to track down older photos

His wins should be on his papers. If you buy his lifetime past performances, I'll be happy to try to dicipher them for you. In his early career he was at Belmont, I remember him racing here. He probably won here but you'd need a date for them to look him up.
    Asmussen's operation his huge and you might not have success. Michael Tabor (owner) lives in Monaco but I do run into him at Saratoga sometimes. (Don't think that this means I know him, I don't, but I know who he is and do know some people that know him.) I'd be willing to ask him but he co-owns the huge Coolmore operation soo again, he may or may not be able to put his hands on pics. You might try calling/emailing Coolmore in KY. If they bred him, they may have baby pics someplace.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

he was bred by Nursery Place and im guessing was purchased my Mr. Tabor as a yearling or somewhere in there. I had a bleeder report from early in his racing from arlington park from asmussens barn.

I think you'll be amazed at what former owners are willing to dig around and send you. I claimed an old tough horse and I've recieved pics in the mail from two former owners of him in his younger days.

im going off what ive been told. i heard that its harder to track down older photos
    From the 70's and 80's yes, but I'm guessing your horse isn't 25 years old?

Horses that ran in the "digital age" have pics stored on servers someplace. Older stuff is hard to get but since it's all digital now, filing and keeping pics is fairly simple and compact.
    I'm sure that Storm Gulch as photos out there.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Jerry Bailey sent me a win photo from 1976. So don't lose hope. If he had that many wins, there's a photo somewhere.

thanks so much everyone. Like i said his first owners/trainers are digging through photos that were saved from a fire. I just heard back from the suffolk photographer. He has 5 win photos of him. Ill be getting all 5 . Its time to start making a nice photo album. Thanks for all your help.