The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How common is it for barns to double rent their stalls?

I have never done this but I was wondering how common it was for boarding barns to double rent a stall. In other words, you would have 2 boarders for one stall. So, one horse would stay in during the day while the other was out then at dinnertime do a switch so the outside horse was in at night and the one in was turned out at night.

Seems like it would be more work for for the workers to keep that stall clean 24/7 and also you'd be using more shavings and hay so can't imagine how much more of a profit you would be getting.

But I'm curious if there are barns out there that do this.
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

I've never heard of it being done but all I can say is that sooner or later both horses might need the same stall at the same time and then you've got a problem.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Don't you turn horses in during the bad weather?

I always keep mine in during inclement weather. But I was wondering the same thing. And what if one of the horses needs stall rest or what if the owners are out at the same time and need the stall?
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

There is a big h/j barn nearby that does that. I think it is appalling. Especially since we have to deal with such nasty weather 6 months of the year...hurricanes, tornadoes, torrential thunderstorms (daily in the summer), not to mention the heat.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Having worked in a barn that did this occasionally, yes, it's basically a lot of extra hustling and headaches for the barn staff. We never had bad enough weather to keep horses in, or at least the owners never deemed it so. If one of the horses needed to be on stall rest, we just found another stall to put the second one. Big PITA all around and I would never keep my horse at a barn that did it.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    They're not just for racing!
    nowthatsatrot.blogspot.com

It is appalling. That is how my horse got flu that ruined his whole show season- the boarding barn rented his stall in June to someone who came for an event. They turned him out during the day and he was back in at night for a long weekend. The horse who came for the show had flu, left snot all over the stall which the BO never disinfected or cleaned properly and my horse got it, as did half a dozen others, when my horse was turned out with them. By the time he had recovered enough to travel anywhere with him, it was 8 weeks later- September, and the season was done.

One of the things that convinced me to find my own place is that BO's can do this sort of thing without even asking you- as he pointed out, I was paying for stall board with turnout, and my horse was getting this...and he correctly asked me to PROVE that my horse catching the flu was from the sick horse who had shared his stall- like how do you prove it?
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

A barn I was at in the past doubled up on stalls. They did NOT double up on board. They had several youngsters who lived out for the most part, but certain times of year they would put the youngsters in the stalls during the day while the stalled horses were turned out. They usually did this during times they really wanted to work with the youngsters, so it it was nice for them to be stalled for a bit. I had no problem with this practice, as the stall was cleaned before my horse was returned for the night, and if there was bad weather and the horses were to stay in, the youngsters just stayed out.

I would of had a problem if they were "double dipping" and collecting two boards for one stall and I did not have the option to have 24 access to that stall (like I said, if my horse needed in, youngster was booted out).

Honestly, I think it happens more often than you know, especially when barns have a lot of absentee owners. There are plenty of weekend warrior owners who would have no idea if their horse was (happily) turned out all week and another one in the stall they're paying for...BOs know this, and in a pinch, some will "double dip."

On the honest side of things, I think this is done more frequently at big breeding farms (mares come in to foal and/or be bred, then go back out full-time; babies come in to be started, then go back out), and at big lesson barns/hack stables (whatever horses are needed for the day get to come in, while the others stay out).

Actually, I wonder why some barns don't just go ahead and make it an option for boarders to share stalls, as long as the details are spelled out regarding who gets it when, and what happens when one is injured and needs to be in 24/7. It could generate additional income for BOs if, say, a shared stall goes for 1/3 less than a private stall (I wouldn't say half, because both horses still need all their feed and the stall will actually need MORE bedding/cleaning since it's in constant use). It could be a good deal for everyone.

I know a barn that allows owners of multiple horses to do this, and for the most part it works well. One is in during the day and out at night (with shelter), and the other is in at night and out during the day. It can work, as long as there's a plan for what happens if BOTH horses need to be in at the same time, or if one needs to be in all the time. As long as that aspect is covered, and both horses are known to be in good health, why not?

I have seen it done and it worked out fine. The BO allowed boarders with more than one horse to let those horses 'share' a stall. The boarder had to pay more than the board for the one horse but less than board for two horses. Stall got cleaned twice a day. But, because of the way the barn was set up and horses got fed, it was not too big of a deal.

I would be ok with this as long as I knew this was happening. I would be MAD if my BO was doing it and not telling me. I would be LIVID if outside horses where coming in and using my stall like that and I didn't ok it.

As to the horses staying in during inclement weather, they don't melt when they get wet. And lots of horses stay out 24/7/365. And I have always been told, leave horses out in the worst weather, they will take care of themselves. So, the horse that is supposed to be in stays in and the horse that is supposed to be out stays out.
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

I've never seen/heard of it done "honestly". I guess if you signed up for that situation, it's not a big deal. I do know of a case where a boarder was paying for 3 stalls....and found out that on a regular basis, her horses were left out over night or two of her horses were put in one stall and one in the other so the BO could use the space for her horses. To me, that's stealing. 'Course, I'm biased cuz I was the boarder.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

If it's done it needs to be in the boarding contract. When you board, you're paying for that stall. To be used when you need it/want it. It's similar to renting a storage unit...you don't want to get there and find other people's stuff in your unit.
    As long as the boarders know and accept it, fine. If they're not given the option of accepting it or not...bad.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Arrow

The boarding barn down the street from me does it ll the time - and the owners do not know. They count on the weekend warrior type riders that show up Sa & Su only. Then their horse has a stall - other times they are out 24/7 rain snow flies heat - come what may. If the boarder comes during the week and there is a horse in their stall they say "oops" mistake - sorry - and then go right back where they were the next day. There are 28 stalls 50 odd horses almost all are boarders. Many boarders rarely if ever come out. They ride their horses use their stuff and no one seems to mind 9 times out of 10 = but of course they do not know......I wonder if they can count.....
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"