The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Crazy lady rides again

This is their latest BS plea. Someone please tell me that she made this plea from behind the prison gates or at the very least from her bed in the asylum.

You do not know this rescue and adoption program but it is going to have to close it’s doors if they can’t get some funding. There is a shelter challenge that is giving a way cash prizes to the programs with the most votes. Crossed Sabers does more horses than other animals but they also have dogs and cats in the program. They will take horses or animals from any state. They are a very small adoption and rescue and we hardly have any votes for them. So if you love animals and you want to see the underdog win please follow these steps it will only take a few minutes of your time to vote for them and you may be the last vote that keeps this program going. This is their web site if you want to learn more about the program. Please tell your friend to vote. Visit
    http://crossedsabers.com/
    The web site that you need to go to in order to vote is
    http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...Section_header
    Go to this web site you will see a purple box leave the shelter name blank, the country will show USA, select the state WV, the city is West Union, and click search. Select Second Wind adoption and vote. The next page you answer the question and confirm your vote and you are done. If you can please vote every day all the votes each day count even if you have voted the day before. Thanks so much for your support the animals that will be taken in need all the help they can get.

Please, PLEASE tell me that someone else wrote that as a twisted joke.

There are so many fabulous rescue efforts all across the country. I don't ever want them tarred with the Crossed Sabers brush.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Oh cripes. She just will NOT give up

Unhappy Don't see it any time soon

Well, she's been making a pretty darned GOOD living from it for so long, why WOULD she???

Look at Impi, the trakehner she has up for adoption..

... since when do dapple greys turn into white horses
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post

Ah....since when have they NOT? Almost all greys "grey-out"...aka...turn to white. I've been watching my guy go for a while now, although I think he'll be more flea-bit than flat-out grey.

What about Brandy Alexander-- grey "Norman" Horse - she advertised him for various adoption fees ranging from a low of $300 to a high of $1,500. First he was said to be in Arkansas, then moved to her place at a higher adoption fee. Last I saw, he was listed as adopted.

It is so hard to know for sure if you are dealing with a 'good' rescue through the internet. it's best to find a local organization to help -- one that you will have an easy time of visiting and verifying their credentials - JMHO.

How about Posey the stalky pintaloosa?

Eek. I remember Brandy Alexander going up for sale over a year ago at least; I knew about him through the medieval equestrian grapevine and he was originally "adopted" from there in the first place...

Wonder whose picture she's using of that nice chestnut jumper. I'm fairly sure that's not one of her "Mountain State Horse School" students and schoolies. d;

I think my favorite picture was of the appaloosa with the dressage saddle around his neck. Someone stop this woman, please!

Since the beginning of time. Ever seen a Lippizanner?

Default Nope she hasn't been stopped YET!

The ad above was suposedly wrote/cross posted by "Ruby Fleming" of Bridgeport, WV here's the link to the site where 1 of 2 came from: ASPCA Online Community

This is the other link ( I believe this is the original & done by C herself): Horse Show Central

More sorry naive suckers coming out of the wood work.

And "Brandy Alexander" aka Alex didn't end up leaving Arkansas until 12/08 when he was FINALLY adopted by a one J. Hutto of AL.

And for what should make good reading material...don't forget this site. This is where she is suppose to have her annual reports posted...the quarter is up & they are due to be posted anytime now!

http://www.wvsos.com/wvcorporations/Annual.asp

Cat,

They're forever known as grey horses, but all dapple greys turn white.

I have a fleabitten grey who started out as a dappled, steel grey youngster.

Oh, and thanks Laurie, for posting Celeita's begging. I never would have known about the contest if you hadn't. I voted for Days End Farm in Maryland!
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Cparkinson Guest

hello all,
    I agree that I would rather support a local agency, where I can go and see just what they are up to. It seems a tough call to vote online for a place that may be slugging a lot of hype, and no truth around.

Seriously though, how does a person find a good riding stable to take lessons? What kind of criteria and questions should I be asking them---to find out out well they treat the animals and so on? Thanks, Chris.

I hope Alex (Brandy Alexander) got a good home. I really considered trying to "adopt" that one, but my vet thought the retained ownership clause and some of the other stuff in the adoption contract was "just too over the top." She advised me against it. She also said she hadn't heard any good things about some of the rescues on the internet-- especially the ones that are always asking for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Cparkinson View Post
    Seriously though, how does a person find a good riding stable to take lessons? What kind of criteria and questions should I be asking them---to find out out well they treat the animals and so on? Thanks, Chris.
    Chris, the first thing you need to determine is what kind of riding you want to do.

Do you want to learn dressage? Hunters? Jumpers? Reining? Barrel racing? Or do you just want to take general lessons?

If you're a rank newbie, you're going to want to start out on safe, quiet schoolies. A reputable barn/trainer should have those.

You need to tour the place, and see how the animals are treated and how they're housed. Do they look content and in good body weight, or are they thin and look miserable? Do they have saddle sores from ill fitting tack, or are they sleek and shiny? How do their feet look? Are they well maintained, or do they look long, ragged, and illkempt?

If the horses are stalled, are the stalls and water buckets kept clean? If they're pasture boarded, do the fields appear to be raked/picked, or are there mounds of manure everywhere?

If the horses and their surroundings look good, by all means ask the trainer's philosophies on training. Discipline is important, but abuse is obvious and will show up fairly quickly.

There's no ONE right way to train, but all good trainers have similar methods, and their horses turn out to be happy and well adjusted mounts.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Interesting... I found this thread when doing a search on Crossed Sabers Fraud since I was bored at work today. I had forgotten I ever registered here...

But, anyhow... I was searching because quite a few years ago, I 'adopted' an older Arab mare from them. A few years after I had her, I had some trouble keeping weight on her. I was honest with them and let them know and they accused me of starving her to death! Threatened me with fines and all this... even though I had vet records to show I had the vet out and was doing what I could for her. She told me that I needed to be feeding the mare 30lbs of grain a day!!! And if I wasn't willing to do so, I needed to return the mare as per the contract. She also copied me on slanderous e-mails to other people telling them I was a horrible person and starving this mare. I contacted a lawyer, who wrote a letter and all of the sudden she said I could keep the mare, free and clear. Go figure! So, if I really was starving this horse, it was OK that I keep her?!? So, I was just curious if more stuff had been going on recently with them... Oh, and if anyone is interested, the mare passed away last Spring at 30 years old.

Instead of complaining about this crook all the time - why not keep filing complaints with the IRS and the state AG?

A few here or there are easily dismissed. Especially by the IRS - don't get me started.

But there are thousands of posts about this and other fraudulent horse rescues and it's way past time for something to get rid of the bad apples.

I can smell that bad apple from here and the stench makes me retch.

http://www.wvago.gov/takeaction.cfm

http://www.irs.gov/charities/article...131651,00.html

Matter of fact, why not do this (contact the relevant state AG) for each and every fraudulent horse charity all y'all are aware of?

Tell your friends to do the same. Keep filing complaints. Especially if you've adopted a horse, been harassed, had to retain or consult an attorney, if the rescue has misrepresented its tax exempt status, fails to provide you with required documentation upon demand, is horse dealing, or is in any way acting illegally or inappropriately.

I want the good rescues to keep operating and get the resources they need - and I want the bad ones shut down.

If there is any group of people that can help make that happen it is the posters on COTH. Maybe if a concerted and organized effort is made... some good may come of it.

Not only did I write a lengthy letter to the IRS which included documents from them which stated they were a non-profit, I also called... this was years ago. I started to feel like no one would take me seriously and gave up... which was why I had searched just the other day, to see if more people were having problems and if something was actually getting done.

Mudder: read through this thread from Oct. '08.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=171198

And where it started for us COTHers back in 2006: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=69766
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.