The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Baby Pads!

What's your favorite baby pad? Mainly just wondering; which hold up the best, and which fall apart the fastest?

Bevals! i love mine. great quality for great price. I've got several. Probably five or six of them. they hold up quite well. i usually get a bunch each year at the beval sale, cause i'll save a couple of dollars. Not much, but i might save like $3.00 (hey, money is money, right?) since they're not that expensive to begin with ($7 i think). They are the basic baby pads, quilted, solid colors (white, black, hunter, navy), no fancy trim or piping, you fold it over, there are no billets, etc.

If you want the cheap simple fold-over kind in some color, I also have a baby pad by Roma which comes in fun colors. I have a pretty light blue one with chocolate brown stitching and trim. it's a fun punch of color. i would buy more because the colors are so pretty (light pink and brown, yellow and blue, etc.) but i do not need any more saddle pads!! (im definitely a saddle-pad junkie) that one was also cheap, $9 i think

there are also plenty of more expensive baby pads, if you want the thin-ness but need billets, dover makes some nice ones, as well as wilkers, i believe. those might be in the $10-20 range, though. lettia also makes REALLY cute ones with trim and embroidery, but those are about $20 and i'm too cheap to spend that much on a baby pad.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Thumbs up

I am particular to the ones made by Toklat. They are a bit more substantial and therefore wear extremely well. I've had a bit of a problem with the lighter ones rolling up under the fleece pad.

Dover's!!! I love that they are shaped a bit to be more comfortable for those high-withered beasties
    Y'all ain't right!

I'm not a huge fan of baby pads in general, but I like the ones made by Dover and by Bevals. Both are great.

I use Bevals. I have...several. They tend to accumulate because they are so affordable. They're nice, though.

bevals!!

I haven't tried any brands except Bevals and I love mine! They're only 10 dollars at my local tack boutique-shop and they hold up really well. I buy the black ones because they look really good on my chestnut and don't show nasty sweat marks. Also, I can just throw them in the washer and dryer and they never change.

Default Lettia

I love Lettia baby pads, especially the shaped ones. I always get mine from SmartPak and they do the cutest embroidery.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    Dover's!!! I love that they are shaped a bit to be more comfortable for those high-withered beasties

I agree. I have several baby pads from Dover and I think they have held up great.

I like the ones from Dover that come in the 3 pack. They are softer than most and hold up well.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    Amen. And, not even just the high-withered beasties - normal baby pads are flat flat flat, horse's backs aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by JenRose View Post
    I love Lettia baby pads, especially the shaped ones. I always get mine from SmartPak and they do the cutest embroidery.
    I LOVE Lettia baby pads! I don't really like saddle pads anymore since I've started using these baby pads. I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!! They are really easy to wash and great to ride in.

Quote Originally Posted by JenRose View Post
    Im going to have to agree with this!!!! I LOVE Lettia!!! I've had mine for 2 years... and it still doesnt have a thread out of place! Plus, I have the whale embroidery on it... and because its SOOO cute I ended up getting the matching Garmet bag, Boot Bag, Saddle Cover, and Bridle bag! hahahaha

My next one im getting is the piggie one!

I HATE folding pads over- underneath and it rubs the horse, over top and it looks like crap!

Love the Dover ones, and the Smartpak ones! Hate Roma, b/c they're the fold-over kind.

please excuse my ignorance (I'm still learning-new to all this), but what exactly is the purpose of a baby pad? I'm guessing they are for using with half pads? Just wondering cause nobody at the barn I'm at uses them...

Baby pads are quite thin, and are mostly used, IME, for keeping a half pad clean. When I was using a Saddleright pad, that plus a regular pad was TOO much, but I didn't want to put the wool right on my horse's back (didn't want to worry about cleaning it LOL) so I used a baby pad to keep dirt off the SR pad.

I personally prefer to use baby pads since I live in S. FL and since it gets hot enough as it is, I dont want to add the extra thick/heavy pads to my guys back which just makes him hotter. I use a baby pad and then a sheepskin half pad/gel pad so that he still has support

I like baby pads for most everyday riding We'll use them under a sheepskin half pad or directly under a well-fitting saddle. Like Individualblue07, I'm in an hotashell area and baby pads a just a bit smaller and thinner so (theoretically) they're just a bit cooler....
    Y'all ain't right!

Well, I complained about the weird size of half pads... now I've decided to make my own!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out, seems like an easy enough project.