The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question To wear the Shadbelly, or, not to wear the shad. That is the question!

So, i'm qualified to ride in a local winter circuit finals in a couple of weeks, and I was considering whether or not it would be appropriate to wear my shad. These shows are unrated, however they are quite popular and you *do* have to qualify for the circuit finals. I'm qualified for the pony medal and children's hunter finals. The finals for the medal (obviously id wear my reg hunt coat for this) is a course and a flat phase and then a work off with top 4, etc. The hunter finals is a 2-round classic. So i'm wondering about wearing my shad for the hunter classic. They have a couple of non-finals classes that day for regular exhibitors, but I won't be showing in those. This classic is one class with no first-round from another class. My pony will be all braided up. So now I'm wondering, can I go ahead and wear my shad for the classic? Normally, I wont wear my shad unless it's an A or AA show, but even though this is unrated, my pony and I go to A shows, as well as the ponies we'll be competing against at the finals. This is not really a backyard-locals show series. I guess I'm considering that a shad could possibly be acceptable there because I have confirmed that most of the hunters/eq horses will be braided. Sure, you can get braids at any level of shows, but for the most part, you don't see them other than at A's. This show is also sponsored by Pessoa. Every winner of each hunter and medal final gets a saddle and then there's coolers and bridles and saddle pads, etc. I'd say it's fairly substantial of a show. Theres a $10,000 mini prix at level 6. Theres a gamblers choice. I'd say it's a decent sized show with lots going on. (this is my jusitifcation and self-reassurance that a shad would not be over-the-top )

Then again, I'm always looking for more chances to get use out of the shad (but don't we all??) and I could be totally wrong in thinking it would be acceptable at this show.

So, I was thinking, should I just keep it in the trailer in case I see any one else wearing one? Should I wear one irregardless? Definitely not?

And for those who are going to say I'm a junior so you don't think I should wear a shad anyway, well, I appreciate the input, I respect your opinion, but considering I already have a shad, there's not much help in your comments.

Thanks
    Last edited by superpony123; Apr. 18, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I have no idea about the Shadbelly, but wow!.. a pessoa saddle for each winner of a final!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whimsically Smart View Post
    I have no idea about the Shadbelly, but wow!.. a pessoa saddle for each winner of a final!!
    I know, right? I am impressed. They've given away *very* nice pessoa saddle pads at their winter shows for all the division champions. The owner of the barn (which hosts the show) is from Argentina, so I think he must have connections
    (|--Sarah--|)

Quote Originally Posted by superpony123 View Post
    I know, right? I am impressed. They've given away *very* nice pessoa saddle pads at their winter shows for all the division champions. The owner of the barn (which hosts the show) is from Argentina, so I think he must have connections
    That's awesome!! Good luck!

bump aaaaaaaaanyone?
    (|--Sarah--|)

I'd wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

The shadbelly is acceptable for a classic at a rated show, therefore, there is no reason it is not acceptable at an unrated show.

Regardless of rating, at any show, finals inlcuded; the horse and rider should be presented to the best possible letter.

This sounds like a great series, you're lucky to have one near you!

I think that since you have one, wear it!
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

yay ! glad to see no one (yet) thinks it's over-the-top. i mean, it's a pretty modest shad. It's black with the plain canary points, the lining of the tails are black (okay, i really wish it was a nice dark burgundy/red wine color, but it's not.) .. so i think it's fairly modest. But i don't want to be too over-the-top, don't want to look obnoxious, you know? buuuuuuuuuuuuut I want to wear it !
    (|--Sarah--|)

I would definitely wear it... sounds like a fun show

What's everybody else wearing? You don't want to be the only one-that can look pretentious. As long as you will not be the the ony one, go ahead and wear it.

BUT PULLLLEEEEEZZZZEEE BRAID at least the mane when wearing a shad. Please.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    What's everybody else wearing? You don't want to be the only one-that can look pretentious. As long as you will not be the the ony one, go ahead and wear it.

It says in my OP that my pony will be braided.

Yeah, i was thinking i'd bring it with me, and if i see anyone else wearing one, i'll put mine on
    (|--Sarah--|)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbradbury View Post
    The shadbelly is acceptable for a classic at a rated show, therefore, there is no reason it is not acceptable at an unrated show.

Regardless of rating, at any show, finals inlcuded; the horse and rider should be presented to the best possible letter.

This sounds like a great series, you're lucky to have one near you!
    I agree.

Wow, that's really exciting and sounds like a nice show series! I hope you win a saddle!

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    One of my pet peeves....At one of the circuits we show (MHSA rated but not USEF rated), there is one girl that wears her shad every chance she gets. I guess no one has told her how inappropriate is to wear a shadbelly when she doesn't bother to braid her horse or pony.

I say go for it and wear it. Unrated or not, it sounds like a great series!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Go for it! It's the Palermo Series right?
    Good show! Some great competition! Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    Go for it! It's the Palermo Series right?
    Good show! Some great competition! Goodluck!
    Yep! I <3 Palermo. Our barn is five minutes away, so it's really convenient, too!
    (|--Sarah--|)

I'd wear it. Sounds like a great schooling series- good luck!!
    Theater Majors only: Lead swap, lead swap, wherefore art thou, lead swap?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CraziiPonii

bump
    (|--Sarah--|)

I have to chime in here, sorry. Does the protocol at this show call for shadbellys? Especially if it's unrated, I'd leave the shad at home and save it for the bigger shows. It sounds as if you'd be wearing a ball gown to a high school Saturday night dance. If everyone else is wearing casual yet appropriate clothes and you show up in formal wear, it will put the spotlight on you for a miriad of reasons. You will obviously wear the shad as you're determined to do so regardless of what anyone says, however, it seems a bit inappropriate for an unrated show. It won't sway the opinion of the judge as far as your riding abilility, but might cause an eye rolling and the "what's this" thought. Less is always more.

Forgot to ask....what does your trainerthink?