The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Rolex entries break-down

31 TBs, 12 ISHs, 13 WB, 3 TB cross, 1 QH. 1 of unknown breeding.

4 mares.

Average rider age: 34.8 years.

Breed breakdown (and at least two were wrong in the COTH Rolex preview, so I put in their real breed). My categories are a bit arbitrary as there were some WB which are part or 1/2 TB:

US-bred TB: 18
    Irish TB: 4
    NZ TB: 2
    Can. TB: 2
    British TB: 1
    Argentine TB: 1
    Australian TB: 1
    German TB: 1
    Uruguayan TB: 1

TB Cross: 3 (Opposition Buzz, who was listed as British TB, but is in fact part Trakehner; Ballynoe Castle RM; Manny)

Irish Sport Horse: 12

ISH/Selle Francais: 1
    Selle Francais: 2
    Swedish WB: 2
    Belgian WB: 2
    Holsteiner: 2
    Canadian WB: 1
    Canadian Sporthorse: 1
    Oldenburg: 1
    Dutch WB: 1

Unknown: Ghost of Hamish (GER)
    Last edited by Blugal; Apr. 18, 2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Forgot some WBs! And categorized Carousel Quest.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Carousel Quest is by the Holsteiner stallion Carousel who is a son of Caretino and stands in the UK. Not sure about the dam's side.

I thought Ghost of Hamish was one of those undocumented Irish-breds. Gnep would know.

Thanks! I looked up Carousel Quest in the Britsh Eventing Database but there was no info there. Also no luck with Ghost of Hamish, who was listed for the Olympics as unknown sire/dam.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Carousel Quest is on the BE site.

This is Carousel.

Opposition Buzz is by Fleetwater Opposition out of a crossbred mare by successful event sire Java Tiger (TB). So I'd say Trakehner-TB-Irish (something heavier than TB) probably. This horse is a very unorthodox jumper (overjumps, hangs legs) and isn't typical of either side of his family but he's become an excellent event horse.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Carousel Quest is on the BE site.
    "New evidence shows that Blugal is blind." Oy.
    Blugal

This is so much fun!

Any idea how many of the TBs are purpose bred and how many are eventing as a second career or who got pulled from a pasture to event but were destined for the racetrack?

Also, any cinderella stories that I missed by not reading the coth rolex edition?
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

My Rolex preview issue hasn't come yet.

But one thing that has been very common in the past is for very high percentage, but not pure bred, TBs to be listed as TBs when they really aren't. It's probably more common with British horses than US bred ones, but Winsome Adante was always listed as a TB and he wasn't.

I'll be interested in seeing if I can track down all the sires and dams on the JC site when my magazine does finally come.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Winsome Adante was always listed as a TB and he wasn't.
    What is he? jhodkin's site says his sire was TB and his dam sire was TB (don't know about her dam).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Not sure of the actual percentage, but he's either an eighth or a sixteenth Arab down on the bottom. with RID down there also.
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/winsome+adante
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

IIRC, Winsome Adante's dam had a bit of Arab in her.

Now that I think about it, one of my mares is listed as a TB if you look her up on the USEA search tool but she's really *only* 13/16ths TB. Not sure how or why this happened.

Well, no, scratch that. All three of my girls are listed as 'Thoroughbred' with the USEA. One actually is a full TB. One is the above-mentioned TB-with-a-bit-of-Dutch-and-Irish. The other is 1/2 TB, 1/2 Akhal-Teke. If you look them up, they're all TBs. (I know I didn't sign them up as TBs, I like to be accurate.)

So I think this is a 'primary breed' situation. The USEA search tool gives you whatever you listed first. Not entirely accurate but probably fixable if enough people want to get more complete info.

Oddly enough, I had a similar experience with AERC (endurance org). We registered my 4 year-old as Akhal-Teke x TB -- and then AERC registered her as TB x Akhal-Teke.

Which brings me to this question: What's the preferred term for a not-quite TB? If you say 'sport horse', that tells you zippo. If you call your 13/16ths TB a Dutch WB or Holsteiner or Hannoverian, you're not giving away too much more about your horse's breeding. Is 'TBx' a better description?

Thanks for the info. Yes, I like TBx for describing them. But that is probably because I love TBs.

Awesome info... THANKS.....do you have any average ages on the horses?

Quote Originally Posted by eyesontheground View Post
    Any idea how many of the TBs are purpose bred and how many are eventing as a second career or who got pulled from a pasture to event but were destined for the racetrack?
    Quote Originally Posted by boppin along View Post
    Awesome info... THANKS.....do you have any average ages on the horses?
    Um, how about you guys do the work this time? The internet belongs to everyone...

(Blugal is a law student. She's supposed to be studying tortes and stuff, not running stats for the horsey fantasy league. Do not encourage her.)

Here's a nice article this morning on Wonderful Will.
    http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/765465.html
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Why is Ballynoe Castle not listed as an ISH? That seems odd.
    He is by the Belgian WB stallion, Ramiro B, out of an ISH mare.

He is listed in the COTH preview as Belgian WB x Irish TB.

And JER's right, I'm not doing any further analysis of the Rolex horses... I have too much real work to do!
    Blugal

He's an Irish Sport Horse. His dam is not in the GSB and is an ISH. He was bred in Ireland to be a sporthorse, so he's an ISH whatever way you slice it.

Um, how about you guys do the work this time? The internet belongs to everyone...

(Blugal is a law student. She's supposed to be studying tortes and stuff, not running stats for the horsey fantasy league. Do not encourage her.)
    LOL, I will take your challenge! Blugal! Keep studying!!!

I will report back on what I can find.

(I thought maybe blugal had some insider info that I did not have. I am thinking maybe she just did what I would have done...google. )
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    And JER's right, I'm not doing any further analysis of the Rolex horses... I have too much real work to do!
    And yet an hour later, she's still showing as online on COTH...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Which brings me to this question: What's the preferred term for a not-quite TB? If you say 'sport horse', that tells you zippo. If you call your 13/16ths TB a Dutch WB or Holsteiner or Hannoverian, you're not giving away too much more about your horse's breeding. Is 'TBx' a better description?
    Partbred TB? Three-quarter bred TB? I've heard both used for TB-with-a-dash-of-something-else.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!