The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Sundowner gripe.

Was doing spring cleaning on my trailer Wed. It's a '99 Sundowner Valulite. We bought it last summer in almost new condition. The woman that had it bought it new and used it maybe 10 or 15 times. It has that spray on floor covering under the mats and because I'm paranoid, I started picking at it because I wanted to actually see the floor. Well, somewhere along the line, that obviously worked loose from the aluminum and was holding dirt, moisture, you name it. Ripped the whole thing up and the floor is a corroded mess. Not sure it's to the point where it needs to be replaced. (Maybe one small section) But it does need really well cleaned to get all that crap off. What's the best thing to clean it with? Anybody else had similar problems? What did you do? I called Sundowner and they don't feel the need to do anything as it isn't under warranty anymore.
    “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

At the very least I would remove all of that liner or whatever it is and have the floor thoroughly acid washed, and then check the whole thing. You might need to go ahead and replace it.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Just this week I saw a trailer that had corrosion problems with the aluminum under the floor mats. Some holes had worn right through the floor. But then the wooden floors rot, so they all have to be checked regularly and maintained. It is not a case of what you can't see can't hurt you.

Once you've done whatever needs to be done to make the floor sound again, I suggest getting Line-X or RhinoLiner or the like sprayed on to the floor to protect it.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Once you've done whatever needs to be done to make the floor sound again, I suggest getting Line-X or RhinoLiner or the like sprayed on to the floor to protect it.
    That's basically what was on there before that caused the problem. It was a spray on thing and looked to be well sealed to the floor. Apparently not. I'm hesitant to do that again. I'd rather be able to see what my floor looks like.
    “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

I found out a long time ago from a friends experience that urine will eat right through aluminum..something the trailer companies are not very up front about. The very best flooring is made out of recycled tires...and into plank like boards. They have a lifetime warranty...but then again - you still have to keep your eye on the frame of the trailer!

I would not trust any spray on liner though...as I cannot imagine anything like that holding up to a shod horse constantly adjusting his body on a trailer ride.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by LR1976 View Post
    That's basically what was on there before that caused the problem. It was a spray on thing and looked to be well sealed to the floor. Apparently not. I'm hesitant to do that again. I'd rather be able to see what my floor looks like.
    The Rhino Liner doesn't come off - it is used instead of a bedliner in pickup trucks and it is very tough. You spray it so it creates a complete seal around the edges, so there is no way for water to leak in.

I would also use rubber mats on top, to provide cushion to the horse and to protect the floor further.

We had this problem with an aluminum floor as well, but ours was replaced under warranty.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Default my liner is lifiting too

I found a chip and when I explored I was able to lift it -just like a bed liner for a truck. So it can and does separate.

I'm actually getting nervous about using my trailer -which I have been reassured is ok. This whole thing is just awful
    Live life to the fullest-ride a standardbred!!!

I called Sundowner and they don't feel the need to do anything as it isn't under warranty anymore.
    Well, the trailer IS ten years old! Ten years is about time to expect some maintenance to be needed on the floor.

I like a wood floor in a trailer, easy to see and check out and easy to replace when needed.

Well - it's a ten year old trailer. It's going to need work!

My liner has lifted up where I got a bit too eager with the power washer. So mine is going to need some work done on it this summer. Oh well - it's a ten year old trailer. My truck is the same age and it needs some work too.

Except that liner has not lifted up - I had the bed sprayed when I bought it. The bed has rusted where the liner was gouged - so a liner does protect the metal but it's certainly not perfect. If moisture gets to the metal it will rust/corrode. Period. My bed has got some rust on it. And the powder coating under my truck bed supports has flaked off too and it's rusted. Oh joy oh rapture. More scraping, sanding and repainting for me this summer - plus my fence needs to be repainted. Bleh. I'm getting too old for this sh**.

Even if a trailer or vehicle has not been moved or used much it's still going to rot, rust, corrode or otherwise decay over time - no matter what it's made of.

Wish that wasn't the case but there it is.

I'll be curious to see how those Rumber floors hold up over time. A lady let me walk through her brand new... Hawk? I think. It had those floors and she really was enthralled with them - said they would last forever.

I just had a new floor put in my trailer - wish I had explored the idea of the recycled tires, darn. They would never rot. Do they have any flex in them?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I just had a new floor put in my trailer - wish I had explored the idea of the recycled tires, darn. They would never rot. Do they have any flex in them?
    The trade name is rumbar. You need to install on 1 ft supports and it is pricey.
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Now, my mechanic (who told me that the frame of my Sundowner is rusting at an alarming rate) told me that my floor looks GREAT. It has the Suncoat, which I really like. Its the piece of crap frame that is the trouble...

Dreamcoach makes a rubber floor with steel rods through it. Wonder if its like the Hawk rumber floor...