The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any ideas about insect control in the yard (not barn)

I'm totally anal about fly control in my barn and do a good job of keeping them under control. But every year, I am absolutely destroyed by bugs in our patio. I'm terribly allergic to the noseeums (sp?) and actually had to go the doctor a couple of times last summer for prednisone because my reaction was so bad.

I live in Southern California in a valley where it gets really, really hot. We have a beautiful pool I can't even use because of the flippin' bugs. And our entire house is designed AROUND the darn pool area so it makes me nuts to not even be able to go out there unless I'm in long pants & long-sleeved shirt (with collar up). Ironically, down at the barn I'm in shorts and a tank top all day.

We have this gorgeous eating area next to the pool overlooking the horses down below and I can't even enjoy it! And our summer nights are spectacular (not that I'd know, since I'm hiding inside).

Any ideas? If I thought the darn fly misters I use in the horses' stall would work, I'd put them everywhere.

Thanks!

The noseeums are bad here, too, in early spring- and they bite me, but I don't react as you do. Experiment with some of the heavy duty repellants( Cutter's , Off, great woods and the camping heavy duty stuff). A Bounce dryer sheet seems to work on the horse,
    tucked in the browband or girth. Some of the clothing brands, LL Bean, have repellant in the fabric of shirts and shorts . Hanging some of those misters around may not be a bad idea, actually. Have you tried the Yard Guard sprays that you can use around your property? Hope you can find a solution.

I haven't tried these yet as it's still cold here but ... I bought some stretchy bands impregnated with insect repellant at Tractor Supply (TSC). I'm thinking they might be useful - you can wear them on your wrist or on your ankle.

Another idea might be one of those auto sprayers that operates on D-sized batteries. The insect spray I buy for the auto dispenser says it is FDA approved for use in day care centers & other such places. The dispenser squirts a little spray every 15 minutes & a can of spray lasts a month. You are supposed to hang them over 6 feet high & no closer than 10 feet to food. I have been told these auto sprayers are very useful for keeping flies & other bugs out of the house if you install one over each outside door. I haven't tried that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    Another idea might be one of those auto sprayers that operates on D-sized batteries. The insect spray I buy for the auto dispenser says it is FDA approved for use in day care centers & other such places. The dispenser squirts a little spray every 15 minutes & a can of spray lasts a month. You are supposed to hang them over 6 feet high & no closer than 10 feet to food. I have been told these auto sprayers are very useful for keeping flies & other bugs out of the house if you install one over each outside door. I haven't tried that yet.
    We use these in our run in sheds and they work well. Might be something for the OP to try. We plan on putting some over our deck this year to see if they work with the no-see-ums which are a problem in our part of VA. Also wanted to ad that the "mosquito magnets" seemed to cut down on the number of no-see-ums on our property (as well as mosquitos of course).
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgreymare View Post
    We use these in our run in sheds and they work well. Might be something for the OP to try. We plan on putting some over our deck this year to see if they work with the no-see-ums which are a problem in our part of VA. Also wanted to ad that the "mosquito magnets" seemed to cut down on the number of no-see-ums on our property (as well as mosquitos of course).

I do use those misters in the stalls and they are great (the "DD" battery ones). Those are what I was actually thinking of using up in the pool area.

What are mosquito magnets? They sound promising!

Thanks.

We used to have a Garden column in the newspaper that had lots of folks recommend a garlic based yard spray. They all said that after using it they had almost no mosquitos at all. Maybe 1-2, in areas that they could not go outside at all before. Perhaps you can do a search for a mosquito spray that is garlic based. These were many organic folks and had children, city yards, wanted to avoid chemicals. I think it needed reapplication on a regular basis, but results were quickly visible. Everyone was real happy with the results.

I was always going to try it, but never ordered any. Sorry, no brand names to help you.

I love my battery powered sprayers! Use it for the weeds under fencing, works for long times on only one set of batteries. I think I went thru 10 gallons before needing new batteries. So MUCH less work than the old pump sprayer for quantity jobs.

Locally, we have seen a lot of success with the Mosquito Magnet machines. They attract with heat and CO2 I believe, so bugs think they are warm bodies with blood.

Especially popular with the barn owners who live near the State Parks with wetlands. Husband is a Farrier, and has noticed a definate difference in mosquito population outside their barns. These folks have had their barns screened, the bugs were so bad, and you beat off bugs on your way to or from the barns before. They joked about having more exercise, having to empty the Magnet bug traps so often, but said it was WORTH it to reduce the bugs. Some have a couple Magnets running, but they needed more coverage of their farm for usable area to work or ride outside.

Not a cheap bug remover, but seems to work very well.

Would just setting up a fan work? Obviously won't work for the whole yard, but maybe just on the patio area? Just haveing the air blow on you should keep the small bugs away.

No one has seemed interested in the insect repelling arm bands but I went & got the packaging so I'll tell you about them anyway. The ones I bought are from Evergreen Research with a phone of 800-523-1256 & a website of www.bugbutton.com

Package claims they last 200 hours after the seal is broken - unfortunately all three are in one package, no individually sealed. But they were cheap - maybe $3 or 3? Something like that.

I have wondered (haven't tried it) if you could unbuckle the cheekpiece & slip it up over the bridle near the ears. If it would work for a horse, it would be nice.

The active ingredients are Phillipine Geraniol Oil, Indonesian Lemongrass Oil, & Citronella Oil. I know Geraniol is in the spray forumulation I mentioned in my post above.

i think fans everywhere are the way to go--stalls, barn aisle, pool and patio. the horses will appreciate a huge box fan too--you'll find them all there when it's bad out.

Use a propane fogger, like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Fountainhead-B.../dp/B0001AUFAO

I got mine at Lowe's as well as the fogging liquid.

My property in Florida has a pond and a jungle. When I first moved in, I couldn't be anywhere on the property without getting multiple bites, both noseeums and mosquitoes and I'm very allergic. I started fogging in the early morning and at dusk every day, paying attention to places where the bugs like to hide/rest, (on leaves, sheltered sides of buildings, corners, etc. Now, I only have to fog every few days. The fog doesn't knock the bugs down instantly, but within a few days of diligent fogging, you will notice that there are no more bugs and you can cut down on the frequency. You have to fog when it's a little cooler so the fog hangs around for a little bit, then it rises and dissipates in the air. If it's too hot when you fog, or windy, it doesn't hang around long enough to contact enough of the bugs.

I use the auto sprayers in the barns, but I have found that fogging them once in a while (when the horses are out) gets rid of spiders, etc. I also fog my manure pile and that eliminates flies. My horses are happy all summer. No swishing tails here.

These ideas are GREAT!!! I can't wait to try them. Then just let the little buggers (literally) come and visit! It's been quite pathetic that the best place to be on our property is the horse barn (well, not pathetic in terms of being a horse lover, but for those occasional rare moments when I have a spare second to actually sit down).

I have to laugh whenever I remember what I thought buying a horse property would be like. I envisioned lazy mornings drinking a second cup of coffee. Or afternoons sipping wine by the pool . Or evenings spent looking at the stars.

Right.

Still, wouldn't trade it for anything.

You could try dusting the area with Diatomatious Earth.

A few guinea hens or a couple of banty hens would take care of the problems. And make a few more. LF