The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up CAROUSEL VOTING - WE WON!! WOO-HOO! $100,000!

I know almost all of us had our first pony ride on a merry-go-round! The Paragon Carousel in Hull, Massachusetts is a local treasure and is always dismally short of funding for restoration of the animals and the historic pavilion.

Please take a minute and vote for the carousel to receive a $100,000 grant for restoration! You can vote once a day and just need to provide an email address (I vote TWICE a day because I registered two separate emails.)
    Please vote for the Carousel at www.partnersinpreservation.com to help the Carousel win $100,000.

We are delighted that today Partners in Preservation announced that the Carousel is one of 25 Boston area historic sites chosen to compete for ten $100,000 grants! You can see photos from today’s announcement at Faneuil Hall at www.paragoncarousel.com. Click on Help the Carousel Win $100,000 to see how beautiful you can help make the Carousel building.

Please vote once a day through May 17.
    Last edited by Guin; May. 18, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

The Shelby NC carousel is a success story. They ran all kinds of fund raisers for quite a few years. They even had an adopt a horse and anyone who sponsored one of the dobby horses could name it and then a brass plate was put on the back of the saddle with the name and sponsor. You can google and read all about it. Shelby NC was once a thriving town in NC, bigger than Charlottem but fell on hard times and still managed to save their carousel. There are not too many left in the US.

I love carousels. And I think the one in Hull is fabulous.

Hope this helps: http://equineink.wordpress.com/2009/...-a-click-away/
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I love carousels as well. It got my vote.

This is from an old carousel in Ocean City MD. We always vacation there in the summer and I just have to visit it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/...a14c768a_b.jpg

Did it. Thanks for the opportunity.
    I love carousels, too. You know the "Painted Ponies" coffee table book about carousel animals by William Manns? I got my first pony (real one) from Mr Manns for $60 about 45 years ago!

Woo hoo, thank you!! Remember, you can vote EVERY DAY for the next few weeks. I named my beloved pinto pony "Carrousel" way back in 1977. I had her from age 5 until she finally died of old age at 32.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Just voted. The carousel is in first place!

Thumbs up

You guys ROCK! My friend who volunteers on the board for the carousel LOVES you people.

Remember to vote every day!!

There is a carousel museum in Bristol, CT where they do a lot of restoration work for the carousels around the country. Perhaps this is where the horses and other pieces will be going? If so, they do beautiful work.

I loved Paragon Park when I was a kid. I'll vote for sure!

Thumbs up

You are all the best! I am going to Puerto Rico today for a week for vacation (woo hoo!) but will be voting from the internet cafe in San Juan. Thank you all so much and remember, you can vote EVERY DAY!

Just voted. We have slipped to second place.
    Guin, did you post this on the Massachusetts or General board of Equinesite?

No, I don't know about those boards. Feel free to do so!

I copied and pasted your original message over to the New England Equinesite board, and posted it on both the Generl board and the Massachusetts board. Maybe it will get the carousel a few more votes!

Wow, This is great. I rode that carousel many, many, many times as a child did i mention many? One of my favorite things to do. I would always go with my grandfather. Thanks for the Info!

I restore carousels for a living and have been doing so for well over 20 years. I did one horse for Hull as a "freebie" and always loved that machine (well, I suppose I love them all)
    Grants fund much of municipally owned carousels, and with the downturn in the economy, it's hit "improvement" grants really hard. One city I work for has $250 in the bank, not enough to fix even a rounding board.

So many view these grants as "fluff money", but realize you are supporting artisans concerned with preserving American artifacts that were never intended to continually run for 80 years.
    I take my work very seriously (after all, who else studies proper pigments & painting methods of 1910?) and don't just slap a coat of any color in acrylic enamels as some actually still do.
    And realize, it's a small US based business owned by a woman...you're not sending your dollars overseas!

Luckily, privatly owned carousels continue to budget "maintenance", but it's still a tough sell in this economy and I'm not looking forward to wasting my body of knowledge bagging groceries.

No second page for us!

Just voted. We are back in first place.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiSoo View Post
    I restore carousels for a living and have been doing so for well over 20 years.
    What fun !

I have always wanted a carousel horse for my entry way ... have not been able to justify the cost, though. And size might be an issue ... a girl can dream.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

I was always thrilled as a child to visit Cresent Park in East Providence, RI and ride the big black hoss. The huge Looff carousel (built in 1895) was saved in the '70s and still in operation. It is a National treasure:

http://www.agilitynut.com/carousels/ri.html

My favorite steed:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...2787GXqbMWShIJ

Confession: I still ride him on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiSoo View Post
    I restore carousels for a living and have been doing so for well over 20 years. I did one horse for Hull as a "freebie" and always loved that machine (well, I suppose I love them all)
    Grants fund much of municipally owned carousels, and with the downturn in the economy, it's hit "improvement" grants really hard. One city I work for has $250 in the bank, not enough to fix even a rounding board.

So many view these grants as "fluff money", but realize you are supporting artisans concerned with preserving American artifacts that were never intended to continually run for 80 years.
    I take my work very seriously (after all, who else studies proper pigments & painting methods of 1910?) and don't just slap a coat of any color in acrylic enamels as some actually still do.
    And realize, it's a small US based business owned by a woman...you're not sending your dollars overseas!

Luckily, privatly owned carousels continue to budget "maintenance", but it's still a tough sell in this economy and I'm not looking forward to wasting my body of knowledge bagging groceries.
    That's so neat! I love carousels, and you can tell the ones where the restoration work has been true restoration, as opposed to just slapping on some paint to make it look pretty.

I vote for Hull to get the grant, and then for them to employ you to do the work!
    Proud member of the EDRF