The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Trailering - break-away or non-break away halter?

I have to bring my POA up to Tuft's next week, and it is about a two hour drive.

Is it better to trailer in a break-away or non-break away halter? I'm assuming a break-away, but it has been such a long time since I've trailered her.

Thanks
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I trailer in breakaway everything! My trailer ties are the ones with velcro (Equips???) that are AWESOME. And my horses' halters all have breakaway fuses or I go with leather....
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

Breakaway breakaway and breakaway.

I say breakaway as well.
    Yes, I ride a pony. No, he would not be ideal for your child. No, he is not a re-sale project...

Thanks! Break-way it is...

Just did this discussion on Sunday:
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=199428
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    Breakaway breakaway and breakaway.
    Why do I want breakaway anything? I tie my horse in the trailer most of the time and when I back him out of the trailer I tie him securely to the side of the trailer with absolutely no breakaway anything..

After going through extensive large animal rescue training, I trailer with 2 halters on. The bottom halter is non-break away, but is not attached to anything. The top halter is break-away, and that is the one I tie with. If heaven forbid there was an accident and my horse broke the top halter, there would still be something on his head in case he escapes, or needs other assistance. Call me paranoid...
    Cindy

Shadow:

For starters, a horse can fall down in a trailer and the driver not know it.

Your horse would hang himself and be dead at your next stop.

Or you could have a wreck, break your leg and not be able to get to the horse to cut him loose.

Mali has the best idea by far, although I admit I had never considered that.

I always have a spare halter in the tack compartment. I will put it on the horse in the future.

CSSJR

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

I do a substantial leather halter, which could be cut off in an emergency, and then a cotton leadrope with a "weak link" (baling string) at the trailer end. If the horse falls in the trailer, or something else disastrous happens, the weak link will break, but the horse will still have the halter and leadrope on, which seems like the best idea to me.

I had a horse go down once with one of those bull-snap nylon trailer ties attached to a leather halter. Nothing gave way, which is why I went to the weak link method.

And I always have a spare halter and rope in the truck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow14 View Post
    Why do I want breakaway anything? I tie my horse in the trailer most of the time and when I back him out of the trailer I tie him securely to the side of the trailer with absolutely no breakaway anything..
    Shadow,
    This has nothing to do whether my pony ties or not. I just wanted to know the safest way to trailer her - In case of a fall, unexpected fast breaking etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow14 View Post
    Why wouldn't you want breakaway?

If my horse was tied to the side of a trailer and for some reason got frightened or whatever may be the case and decided to pull back I rather see the horse be able to breakaway or have me release a quick release not then watch the horse fight with the trailer while pulling back. This goes for the same thing in the trailer.

Also, if the horse was pulling back or fell and nothing gave way the horse could twist around while still being securely tied and get tangled somehow, hung or perhaps break their neck.

Guys I must lead a sheltered life. I have never experienced a horse going down in a trialer in 50 years and I trailered alot. I never heard of people accepting horses that wouldn't tie solid, I don't know a horse that doesn't tie. Sitting on the side of a busy expressway tacking up a horse tied to the side of the trailer I certainly don't want a breakaway anything.
    Maybe alot of you have bad horses because you set them up to break free.
    If I am in an accident and my leg is broken so I can't get back to my horse then he and I will just have to wait until assistance comes.
    What if a horse freaks out and starts going up, rearing in the trailer and breaks free and goes up and over the divider. My guy might be on the other side.
    NO I will tie short and solid and if he tries fighting it he will get nowhere.
    Again I must really be seltered living where I do since none of these problems are familiar to me.
    Must be because I am Canadian??
    If my horse so much as moves a foot I know it in the truck and a horse scrambling certainly would alert me.
    So you have your twine strings, your breakaway everything and if most of you live as long with horses as I have consider yourself lucky.

Like Shadow, I've just never worried about it. I use a rope halter and the same lead rope for everything. When I put my horses in the trailer, I just slip the lead through the ring, I don't knot it. I do this mostly to keep the rope off the floor and out of their pee.

I haul in a Slant load gooseneck trailer. When the horse is in his stall and the panel shut. He is not going any where. When I walk the horse in, I slip the end of the rope through the ring and pull the rope through the ring as I get the horse to walk up while I shut the gate. When I take the horse out, I reach over and collect the rope and lead the horse out. There is no worry about tieing or untieing a knot.

My horses are polite. They wait to be backed out of the trailer. They know, they always come out of the trailer and get tied to the side of the trailer. Where I tack them up. My horses have spent many a night tied to the side of my trailer. They don't pull back.

In my life time, I have seen a couple of horses go down. One was friends new horse that was tied to the side of the trailer and when I tightened the cinch, he dropped like a rock and started thrashing. A tug on the slip knot and he was free of the trailer. But his thrashing didn't stop until I got his cinch undone. And that was the real trick, trying to loosen a cinch on a horse going nuts. If he had been wearing a break away halter and it had released when he went down. I would of had no way to control him while I tried to get to his cinch.

One night while Elk hunting I heard a loose horse trot through my camp. Thinking one of my horses had come loose, I got up out of my sleeping bag and went out. It's 10* and I'm standing there in 8" of new snow looking at my High line. I count 1-2-3-4 horses. Now wait a minute, I only brought 3 horses. The loose horse trots around to the front of my friends Toy hauler trailer and drops and rolls. He rolls under the tongue of the trailer, get cast and smacks his head on the underside and knocks himself out. Standing there in my underwear and unlaced boots I had slipped on I tried to roll the horse out from under the trailer hitch. I successfully rolled him over just before he woke up. He jumped up and ran off. He didn't have a halter on. I had no way to restrain him. Did he get loose because he had a break away halter? Or did somebody just not fasten the halter on tight. At any rate, somebody's loose horse was wandering around at night causing trouble.

I want my horse to stay where I tie them.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
    My horses are polite. They wait to be backed out of the trailer. They know, they always come out of the trailer and get tied to the side of the trailer. Where I tack them up. My horses have spent many a night tied to the side of my trailer. They don't pull back.

I want my horse to stay where I tie them.
    Honestly, you are not that unique. Guess what? That is my expectation too, whether it is my 17 year old show hunter (ex race horse) or my 2 year old TB that I am showing on the line. And I don't kid myself that I am that special either...

Oh, OK, like most people who don't camp, mine haven't spend the night tied to the trailer, but like every hunter who spent time at an A show, he knows a LOT about being tied up all night long. Every A hunter around is pretty good at that, it's not like they magically get braided at 6AM, ya know!

That said, yes, I do ship in a leather halter. It won't break easily, but it will break. And I do use a tension free quick release snap at the trailer end of the trailer tie (versus at the horse's nose) and I do use a proper quick release knot whenever I am tying them. Because I also want them to stay where I put them, but I'm not so misguided as to forget that shit happens, and its nice to have a backup up plan.

So while I don't think I will be using two halters on the average horse I ship, I certainly will not mock that suggestion, I'll just file it away and hopefully if I ever have a situation where i think that may be a useful addition to the process, I will use it. Ditto for tying with a twine link. It's not my first option, but you know what, it may have a time and place in my future, just as using an unbreakable halter and lead has a time and place in my past and I am sure I will use it again before I die.

I try to remember there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    I'm sorry... Did I just roll my eyes out loud?

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    Why wouldn't you want breakaway?

If my horse was tied to the side of a trailer and for some reason got frightened or whatever may be the case and decided to pull back I rather see the horse be able to breakaway or have me release a quick release not then watch the horse fight with the trailer while pulling back. This goes for the same thing in the trailer.

I repeat. Why do I want my guy to be able to break free and run through the camp or onto a busy expressway. Why do horses tied properly break their necks??? Once a horse learns he can escape by pulling back you will never totally break him of the habit. NOne of my horses ever learned the habit in the first place so they have always been good solid tiers. I have left horses tied for 3 days at a ride without a problem. None of them every learns to pull back even in if something scary happenss. Scary as in letting off firecracks right beside the trailer by some ignorant people. Yes the horses dance around but none leans back and tries breaking the neck rope.

You will really hate tying a horse by a single hind leg and staking him out to graze. Poor thing could panic and run off yanking a hind leg clean off
    I also hobble, another stupid practice that will get my horse a broken leg sometime. NO WAIT A MINUTE. My horse doesn't read these forums and learns all the bad things he might do.

If you take a no nonsense approach to everything and just do it your horse learns to accept whatever you do calmly. Anything.
    Last night I plugged a really noisy compresser right beside 3 horses to blow up someones car tires and I expected the horses to jump around a little. But you know what?? NOt one of the 3 seems to care and calmly stood watching me work. I don't tip toe around the guys, I don't accept anything but good quiet behaviour either. My guys are better for it.

I haul in a leather or breakaway. Though I love the idea of the 2 halters on the horse I will have to remember that next time I haul my horse.
    While in all the years of having horses hauled( I admit I know how to but am a chicken about hauling so I dont figure it is safer for my horse and others on the road) I have never had a problem during the actual hauling. I have had a horse which I still think 25+ yrs later who must have gotten stung by something after she was hooked up. This was a horse who would self load and exit in a calm fashion etc. Anyway I hooked her up just like always was on my way around he trailer when I heard an awful noise and the next thing I know she came flying out of the back of the trailer. As soon as she exited the trailer she went about 10ft back and just stood there snorting at the trailer. Her halter in several peices was still in the trailer. It went before the release snap did. She was a tad sore after and a bit hesitant to go back into that particular trailer.

Another senerio last yr and a very laid back local show.. So laid back it was easy to fall asleep on the horse.. A horse in a 'very pretty' purple nylon halter who was next to the trailer tied started going nuts. Nylon halter on horse. Anyway the horse freaked at something pulled and pulled lost his footing and his legs went under the trailer. the horse was tied short so it coldnt really get all the way down or back up. I was not stupid enough to get to cloes to 'watch' what was going on but from where I was standing it looked lke someone connected to the horse went to try to get the horse back up somehow. I do not know what hit the person but the ambulance arrived shortly. The horse finally was let loose and it was not a pretty sight. I figure if the horse had a breakaway or leather halter on perhaps the horse would have broken free rather then end up under the trailer thrashing about. And someone may have been hurt some but possibly not as much and hte horse would not have had blood running down its legs. I do not know what happened to either the person or the horse.

Id rather be sfe than sorry..A broken halter is eaiser to replace and get out of a trailer then a horse with a broken neck and/or dead..
    Friend of bar .ka

I use a nylon halter with ties that has panic releases. The panic releases give easily, and the horse will still have a halter on.

I haul in a two horse bumper pull, so if a horse fell down I would know immediately.

I suppose the very safest thing to do is haul loose in a box stall with head bumper and leg wraps and bell boots.

I haul mine untied in a slant load with the bars up but the windows open. They have hay bags on long trips and nothing on short trips. Closer to home they are like old dogs in the car- those noses start poking through the bars- we're home guys, we're almost home!!!

Horses I don't know well- I either haul loose like that wearing halter and lead over their back, or tied to a loop of haystring if I wonder if they'll be stupid about what happens when I open their divider.

If you want to tie her, I'd recommend tying a good stout leadrop and halter to a loop of haystring. Should - God forbid-you get in a wreck and one got loose on the side of the road, or you need to unload in a hurry in a bad spot- Truck fire anyone?- I just think it's wisest that they be wearing an unbreakable halter and lead rope- for easy catching and securing.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    I have to bring my POA up to Tuft's next week, and it is about a two hour drive.

Is it better to trailer in a break-away or non-break away halter? I'm assuming a break-away, but it has been such a long time since I've trailered her.

Thanks
    I use two halters.
    A nylon halter with a break away or leather halter on top.
    That way if anything happens, (horse pulls back, trailer wreck and so forth) there will always be a halter on his head for catching. : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!