The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Haul in Fee Gripe

Filling out the first show entry of the year at a venue that is very close to home. Classes are 45.00 plus 10.00 qualifying - no problemo. Then I get to the haul in fee.......$35.00 per day . This doesn't make me very happy, but I suppose it's the penalty I must pay for living so freaking close (I know, I know - insurance, maintenance, blah, blah...) Then I see that I can rent a turnout paddock for $50.00 for the weekend . Um..... I'm hauling in for 2 days which is $70.00, so the paddock is cheaper than the haul in fee - even if I don't use it.....this doesn't make sense - $35.00 per day?
    It's all fun and games until someone pulls a shoe....

Check carefully-the paddock can probably only be rented if you get the stall as well. Pinehurst perhaps?
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

That's an expensive haul-in fee. Most of ours here are $15 a day or so.
    "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Pie View Post
    Check carefully-the paddock can probably only be rented if you get the stall as well. Pinehurst perhaps?
    Pinehurst - yes. I went through the entry info and they seem to have left a bit of a loophole to exploit muuuahahahhah
    It's all fun and games until someone pulls a shoe....

I've reached the point where if they charge a haul-in fee, I take my show $$$ elsewhere. Ditto for most office fees. I found it amusing that one not-so-local recognized show advertised "No office fee." They filled their entries almost instantaneously. When I'm paying $55 to ride INTRO B (ForPetesSake), I am NOT paying haul-in fees, nor am I going to shows that are 1.5 to 2 hours away AND charge a haul-in fee. It's getting like the local rapid transit system. When they raise fares, they lose riders ... and the answer to that is - raise the fares again! Nope. If I'm going to a show it better have a reasonable/no office fee and no haul-in fee. I'm neat. I clean up after myself. If they have some that don't, make a note of who doesn't clean up after themselves and refuse their entry the next time. Don't penalize me.

I am certainly not advocating the huge sums charged when hauling in to a recognized show.. But.....I have to say that with out the show manager/organizers/volunteers...there would be NO shows.. So much work goes in to such a "thankless" job.. I am just happy there are shows to attend and that someone is willing to put them on

Almost all the bigger shows around here charge haul in fees AND office fees. The show last weekend cost me $167 for ONE CLASS! Haul in fee, drug fee, office fee, qualifying fee, class fee, OUCH! And most of the bigger shows are charging $30/day to haul in, or $150 or MORE for a stall for the weekend. PLUS $35 office fee. Did I mention OUCH? And FEI classes are $55/class. And they wonder why turnout at the shows is down?
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Shows here almost all charge you for stalls whether you use them or not. Haul-in isn't an option. I don't really know why, although at the big show barns, there is enough trouble with people loading trailers in thoroughfares at the beginning and end that I can see why they might want to restrict the in-and-out on busy weekends.

Office fees drive me a bit nuts. We are now paying upwards of $30 in office fees at Schooling and Off-season shows. And the office staff is almost always volunteer! We also do a lot of ribbon recycling and class sponsorships...I really dislike that office fee. If it is costing more money to run the shows, reflect it in the class costs...don't tack on a fee that everyone knows is ridiculous.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by FriesianX View Post
    . . . . or $150 or MORE for a stall for the weekend. . . .
    Doesn't sound so bad to me. My daughter evented (I know, not pure dressage) from about 1993 to 2003 or 2004 & we OFTEN paid $100 a weekend for a stall in this general area way back in the mid-1990s. I had organizers tell me they were charging the actual cost of getting temporary stalls set up & taken down at that time.

What always amazed me at Pinehurst, where it's all permanent stabling, the first weekend would be an A show and stalls were $70/night. At the C show the next weekend, the exact same stall was $35/night! (That of course was about 10 years ago!)

There is one show that I know of that if you don't get a stall you have to pay a 'showing out of trailer fee' the thing that really me off is that they never have enough stalls for everyone showing! If you are going to require that people get a stall or pay a fee (which the showing out of trailer fee is only I think $15 less a day) you better be able to provide stalls for every entry!

Living in South Florida makes for a really tough show budget: Normal here for our "local" GMO - just paid $150 for the weekend for a stall, $45 for USEF level classes, $75 for FEI classes $35 for office fees, then all the rest of the fees - drug fee, etc. I think the haul-in fee is $50 per day.

They have definately priced many folks out but they really now cater mainly to the Wellington Seasonal crowd. The off season shows, May June & November, are less $$$ for a stall but still the same for the rest of the fees. Definately see more local folks at those shows. The January show that is 3 days long is $200 for a stall. We had to forego that show this year. Just too expensive. By the way - at every show we also have to strip the stalls when we leave or they keep your $25 additional stall deposit. This isn't the GMO's rules - apparently it is the County's rule that runs the park.

I do want to say that they are well run shows at a beautiful facility. Can't complain about that!
    Last edited by ellie_dq; Apr. 14, 2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Additional Info

I just sent my entries in for a show in Albuquerque, NM.

$35 per class, $10 for qualifying rides (riding in 4 classes, 2 qualifying rides)
    $75 for a stall Fri-Sun or $25 per day "grounds fee" if showing out of trailer
    $30 office fee
    $15 drug fee
    $7.50 per bag of shavings (no shavings provided)

So, I'm already $295 in the hole.

Motel will probably be $100 per night since the Expo center is in the elite "upper" section of Albuquerque's shopping district. $200 for gas (I'm coming from Texas/6 hour drive), and another $100 for food and other misc. things I will need during the trip.

Now let me add the $277 in USEF/USDF fees I paid earlier in the year. (Paying double fees to both registries in order to even be able to qualify for championships is horse shit BTW. )

WHEW! Now I know why I don't show much anymore. I'm not poor (not rich either) , but $1000 for a weekend show just seems a little too much these days.

I used to show "out of the trailer" all the time when I lived in the Midwest and I don't remember paying "grounds fees." But then I was eventing at the time and most organizers didn't charge for haul-ins unless it was a recognized event.
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Me and my friend showed two classes a peice this last weekend and it cost us 116 each! *ouch* =[ I really wish our town would put on English shows because we have western shows where the entry fee is $3.00 a class $1.00 for a number (which you can return it for your dollar or keep it for next time) and the speed classes with money payback goes up to $10.00 as the highest! They do have a hunter u/s class but I want the good stuff at these prices!! They always give ribbons up to 6th and the first prize winner will get a ribbon, trophey, and a general horsey item or a bag of feed from our local feed mill *nice* I would love to see these prices in our world you can't even school around here for less than 75 a schooling show and that's minus food and gas to haul =[

Just sent in my entry for the Rocking Horse recognized:

$45 per class + $10 for qualifying = $110
    $100 stabling for the weekend
    $35 office fee
    $15 drug fee

$260. Ugh! And it's not even a big show. When we did Wellington it was $370-$500 a show easy!
    "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" -Winston Churchill

Default Fees are Way out of Hand

The fees are ridiculous! I spent $700 just registering my horse and I with USEF, USDF, and our GMO, plus $300 for the show (without hotel!!). I'm a schoolteacher--I don't have that kind of money! These organizations (USEF, USDF, show sponsors) need to look at their internal bureaucracies and see what's eating the money because this is nuts.

Default Sigh.

And this is why I've come to the conclusion that I will never be able to afford showing. See you on the trails and in clinics but not in the show ring. (although I do volunteer at shows, usually scoring so I won't see you anyway)
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Default from the other perspective

Our local fairgrounds mandates we charge for stalls. I think they are up to 45/weekend. Shows add a little bit to the stalls depending on how much it costs them. Is it a schooling show? Smaller rated (less expensive judges and less expensive all around) vs large rated?

Remember, rated shows have to pay for judges (S and up are charging 450 or 500 per DAY).

TD at 250/day. Hotel, per diem, travel and often air fare for above. Sometimes show manager and show secretary are free, more often not. Then do you have to pay runners/scoring/scribing/office staff, or are they free? Ring stewards??? Rated shows have to have a paramedic, paid.

Hunter Jumper and Western can put MULTIPLE horses in the arena at one time. A hack class with 30 kids takes less than 7 minutes. You get the arena and judge all to your self. Most hunter flat classes are 15 kids easily at 15/each. You do the math!

I can provide costs for rated and schooling shows that I have personally done. Sponsors are cutting WAY back, as are most advertisers. I finally made a bit of money on a schooling show from October, but I had a reasonable cost for judge (450) with NO hotel and I did pay my scorer/scribe and ring steward, they each got 50 for the day. It was a long day, 78 rides. This show was at my own farm, so I didn't have ring/facility rental, either. Anyone who wants breakdowns of the costs, just email me.
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

wow! This reminds me why I have not shown much the past couple years. My horse is now seven. Two years ago I needed help with her so decided that I could spend for lessons or shows. I decided to work on my riding and bringing her along. Show money has been spent on lessons and clinics. I have really enjoyed it and it has been so worth it. I was thinking of taking her out to ride some first level tests this year. But maybe not. Think I will just keep taking lessons instead. The $400. I would spend on show fees is a good number of lessons here or a couple of great clinics. mmmmmm!
    Last edited by Baroquecoco; Apr. 19, 2009 at 09:33 PM.

PCW, those are all valid costs! I'm an accountant, I have done the numbers in my head more than once. For a show with three competition rings, figure 60 horses/day at $45 or $55 or $65/ride (some of our shows are now at $65 for freestyles and FEI rides, and the LOWEST I see is $45, I'm excluding qualifying fees since those go straight to USDF). So, figure an average of $50/ride or $9,000/day (let's say it is a 2 day show, so $15,000 to $18,000 for the weekend). Three judges (assume all are S judges at $500/day plus travel costs of $600/judge) will be about $4,800 for the weekend. Travel costs vary, of course. Add TD and EMT, another $1200 for the weekend. That leaves $9,000 to $12,000 for office staff, supplies (decorations, food, printing, ribbons, prizes etc), and other show staff. Generally, we do see a lot of volunteers at the shows - only at the CDI do we see paid scribes, generally, it is a very popular volunteer position. Our local GMOs are always recruiting volunteers - my friends and I have spent many a day scribing, running scores, ring stewarding, helping to set up shows, etc.

I do agree it costs money to put on a show - no question! But it is still a big cost to pay $150 for the use of a stall for two days ($200 for a 4 day show, gulp), or $35 to haul into a facility for a day. I wonder, in this economy, will we start to see that change a little? It really takes enough entries to make a show financially viable. Show managers will be hurt (badly) if they can't fill the rings - there is a huge difference between running a show with 60 rides/ring versus 30 or 40! And there are economies of scale in running two or three (or more) rings versus running one show ring - in which case, that single ring has to pay for the TD and EMT.

And I figure the stall fee or haul in fee is designed to cover the cost of renting the facility. And there is a cost to stripping the stalls afterwards - for sure! We hosted an inspection last year, I'm quite aware of the clean up work afterwards (and beforehand)

Schooling judges (L and even r judges) around here run closer to $200/day (give or take $50 either way) plus expenses, and some of the schooling shows are able to charge only $25/class and are doing quite well. I suspect that is where many competitors will head in a year when we are all watching costs. My big fear - if the recognized shows lose entries, we may see less of those shows - I'm not sure that is a good thing for our sport. Less competitors will mean higher costs for those who continue to compete - driving away even more competitors. A vicious cycle And it seems to reflect the bigger cycle of what is going on in our economy. Let's all hope for better financial times so $150 for a weekend stall doesn't seem to bad
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry