The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Deaths with Eventing... Info please

I am writing a research paper about the deaths associated with 3 day eventing - more of a long vs. short format paper. Can anyone point me towards some good articles on the subject? Also, is there anywhere that the number of deaths and reason are compiled?

Thanks

"Eventer's do it 3 ways in 3 days"

This BB is a great resource. Do a search or two.

That's two separate topics, really: deaths in eventing and long vs. short format. I believe the jury is still out, statistically speaking, on whether there is one format or another that is less "safe" in terms of deaths--are you talking about horses, riders? Do you mean 3 day eventing as in three day events, or the entire sport of eventing to include Horse Trials?

Clarity is job #1 with a research paper.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    That's two separate topics, really: deaths in eventing and long vs. short format. I believe the jury is still out, statistically speaking, on whether there is one format or another that is less "safe" in terms of deaths--are you talking about horses, riders? Do you mean 3 day eventing as in three day events, or the entire sport of eventing to include Horse Trials?

Clarity is job #1 with a research paper.
    That is what I'm doing the research paper on, is comparing the long format and short format to the number of deaths associated with each. So basically - comparing the number of falls before and number of falls after associated with the XC phase. And I'm just going to do the CCI's.

Here's a website that catalogues the rider deaths. It's a pretty inflammatory site, and doesn't separate short from long format, but it shoudl be easy to fill in those pieces of info: http://www.eventing.zzn.com/

You are going to find it difficult at best with US data. Tracking of incidents was poor at best and records keeping was non-existent years ago. At one point it was told to me that all incident reports were lost somewhere in the back rooms of the USEF. It hasn't been until the past 3 years that a standardized incident and tracking system was developed (with help from folks on COTH).

So, I would be very hesitant to believe any data from websites and other sources that list long and short format incidents outside the UK. BE has spent a tremendous effort to collect and analyze the data. Murray has published papers on incident statistics in various formats.

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by clivers View Post
    Here's a website that catalogues the rider deaths. It's a pretty inflammatory site, and doesn't separate short from long format, but it shoudl be easy to fill in those pieces of info: http://www.eventing.zzn.com/
    Wow that's a very sobering website.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    So, I would be very hesitant to believe any data from websites and other sources that list long and short format incidents outside the UK.
    Australia has been doing organised incident reporting for a number of years too.
    https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/items/08-027

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    Wow that's a very sobering website.
    That Web site was created by the family of a young lady who died eventing at Galway Downs and lost another daughter to a college riding accident. It was a horrible story, made worse by the fact that she shouldn't technically have still been on course and jumping when she died because she'd already had enough refusals to be eliminated. Accounts vary as to whether officials didn't do their job by waving her down or she ignored the people trying to stop her. Either way, the personal story is tragic but the Web site is anything but fair and impartial.
    It's one source of information, but I sincerely hope that anyone trying to do a credible research paper would double-check any information taken from that site with official sources.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    That Web site was created by the family of a young lady who died eventing at Galway Downs and lost another daughter to a college riding accident. It was a horrible story, made worse by the fact that she shouldn't technically have still been on course and jumping when she died because she'd already had enough refusals to be eliminated. Accounts vary as to whether officials didn't do their job by waving her down or she ignored the people trying to stop her. Either way, the personal story is tragic but the Web site is anything but fair and impartial.
    It's one source of information, but I sincerely hope that anyone trying to do a credible research paper would double-check any information taken from that site with official sources.
    NeverTime is being very kind. This website was created with a vendetta and an intent to inflame. This after naming everyone they could think of in a lawsuit (they also filed on the first daughter's accident). I'm surprised that it was even referenced in this thread.

However, it does show how someone can take advantage of a situation where little impartial research exists.

The website has an agenda, but I also think this information should be more readily available in other places. We need to regulate ourselves if we want eventing to remain a viable sport both in terms of attracting new members and keeping it as an Olympic competition.

Quote Originally Posted by vali View Post
    The website has an agenda, but I also think this information should be more readily available in other places. We need to regulate ourselves if we want eventing to remain a viable sport both in terms of attracting new members and keeping it as an Olympic competition.
    That site's list of deaths is basically a copy of my original list, compiled for this BB in 2007. As the site owner didn't ask for permission to use my list, I asked her to take it down and make her own. At the time I compiled my list, there was no such compendium available -- at least not via any of the eventing orgs, NGBs or FEI. I thought this was glaringly ignorant on their part.

I've talked to someone recently about compiling a detailed list of safety-related links to post on their website. Hopefully, we'll get that happening soon -- there should be an easy way to access the available information.

thank you all for your assistance, this has helped me to change my focus a bit. Instead, can anyone tell me where to find (or does anyone know?) how many deaths there were in 2004 and how many in 2005. if you know the total number of deaths for any other year since 2004 that may be helpful too. Basically, if you know any of the statistics for the number of deaths, can you please let me know? Should mention - for CCI's only. I already have the number of falls.

Not sure if this is of any use to you?

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2009...fety2009.shtml