The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet when you ride?

Voters
317. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rarely, and only when it's required by the rules.

22 6.94%
  • Sometimes, depending on the weather and my mood.

10 3.15%
  • Most of the time, but I'll still occasionally ride without one.

41 12.93%
  • I always wear a helmet, and will not get on a horse without one.

244 76.97%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Helmet poll: Do you wear one?

Curious about the helmet-wearing practices of dressage riders. Many people I know (eventers) only wear a helmet when jumping or going cx, but usually not for flatwork. I was one of those kids that refused to wear a helmet on my bicycle, but oddly enough wear my helmet close to 100% of the time I'm on my horse (it's become so routine that I almost feel naked without a helmet).

So, how strict are you about wearing your helmet while on a horse?

After 2 serious concussions (wearing helmets), my head needs all the help it can get (that and my mom used to work in brain injury rehab). I also will not let others get on my horses without one.

I wear my helmet 100% of the time. A few years ago I had a bad accident. The helmet definitely saved my head. I insist anyone getting on my horse have one on or they don't ride. I also only buy the brand of helmet that made it through the accident with me. I figure that brand was good enough to save me once, they deserve my loyalty.

I don't do upper level dressage so I'm not sure about the rules/ expectations; can you wear a helmet up to the highest level? If so do judges frown on it?

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    After 2 serious concussions (wearing helmets), my head needs all the help it can get (that and my mom used to work in brain injury rehab). I also will not let others get on my horses without one.
    This is exactly how I feel. I've taken 2 really nasty spills and gotten concussions while wearing helmets. I had my old mare trip up a bank coming out of a water jump and popped me off. It wasn't even a hard fall, but I hit my head just right. The other time, the horse I was riding slipped on a wet patch of ground right after a jump, and all 4 feet came out from underneath him and we went down. I don't even want to imagine how bad it would have been if I wasn't wearing one. I wear a helmet EVERY time I ride. My trainer doesn't allow people to ride on her property without one.

I always ride with a helmet. I feel naked without it.

Best helmet related saying I ever heard: If you think your hair is more important than your brain, it probably is.

ALWAYS! I would have been dead or a veggie 4 times over if I didn't.

YAY for safety!

I have to admit I wasn't great about wearing mine until I came off this spring and landed on my head. I did have a helmet on. Still knocked myself out and ended up with a concussion. Had I not been wearing one??? Anyway, it'll be a long time before I get back on without one!
    “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    I don't do upper level dressage so I'm not sure about the rules/ expectations; can you wear a helmet up to the highest level? If so do judges frown on it?
    Yes... and no.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Another accident victim...I would be dead had I not had my helmet on.. I am sure of it

I always ride with a helmet. Not only for my own safety, but I have 3 daughters and the kids tend to do everything the parents do (e.g. swear, drive too fast, wear safety gear).

I think it's better to wear it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    you are never too good a rider to have something bad happen and need a helmet. All my bad falls were doing flatwork
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

The last time I came off, which was the only time I have ever been unseated by my OWN horse, we had just finished some trot work, came down to a walk, I gave him a long rein and turned across at E. Right at X, he ducked and went right. I stayed left, and when I saw the saddle a foot away from my bum I was shocked! I landed on my hip, shoulder, then HEAD. My horse just stood there like, ummm... why are you on the ground? It was so random! But I'm thankful that I never ever ride without my helmet. I am living (thanks to the helmet) proof that freak accidents happen when no one thinks they will

I never rode my upper level horses with a helmet... I always rode my ottb with a helmet.... the ones I break I always wear a helmet....

my method makes no sense what so ever and I'm sure it is not the smartest to follow.

I always wear my seatbelt... but I'm being honest here... horses past a third level-ish training I don't think I've ever worn a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    Yes... and no.
    So why don't you ever see people doing Grand Prix tests in a helmet? or am I just not looking in the right spot? Anytime you see people on magazines (Practical Horseman, Dressage Today, etc) they never have helmets on if they're doing dressage. If so many people say they do why isn't that reflected in the image of the sport?

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    I could have posted this! Part of the double concussion club too
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    Best helmet related saying I ever heard: If you think your hair is more important than your brain, it probably is.
    I learned this to be true the hard way, unfortunately. One breezy, cool, March Friday afternoon I decided to ride without a helmet because I was going out that night and didn't want to mess with hat hair. My hair at the time was really long and took a long time to start from scratch. We were just going to a super quick WTC just to stretch and then really work the next day.

Did I mention it was a breezy, cool, March afternoon? Long story short, after the mare decided to try out for the bucking bronco brigade, I ended up lawn darted off her back, landing on the top of my head which resulted in a concussion (#5), broken C-7 in my neck and a big, fat bald spot on the top of my head where it hit the ground.

The helmet wouldn't have saved me from the fracture, but it sure as hell could have saved me from the concussion and loss of hair.

I never, ever, ever, EVER ride without a helmet...even if my new mare is as safe as kittens.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    So why don't you ever see people doing Grand Prix tests in a helmet? or am I just not looking in the right spot? Anytime you see people on magazines (Practical Horseman, Dressage Today, etc) they never have helmets on if they're doing dressage. If so many people say they do why isn't that reflected in the image of the sport?
    I would say that is mainly because the majority of the upper level riders you see in magazines are not here voting in this poll I think the board is made up of mostly lower-mid level riders (myself included) who are just more likely to wear a helmet than ULRs (dressage only). It's just not popular as an ULR to wear one.

I'm in the "every ride, every time" category myself. I hope that if I'm ever able to show at upper levels, I continue with that thought. I've had a couple close calls before (both jumping and not) and it's just not worth the risk.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

None of us are an island. We all have people who depend on us - and family and friends. To me, not wearing a helmet is the most selfish thing you can possibly do. Riding is a dangerous sport, and responsible people will take every precaution they can. Sure, things still may happen, but by not wearing a helmet you are thinking only of yourself and have no regard for anyone else in your life. If a life changing event would happen, you are not the only one who will be affected, and if it all could have been avoided by wearing a helmet, how do you think your family and friends would feel? Try thinking about it from everyone else's point of view, not yours.