The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USEA Future Event Horse Demonstration @ Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event

The USEA Future Event Horse Demonstration will be held again this year in the Walnut Arena on Friday April 24th. We are scheduled to start between 12:00 - 12:15, during the lunch break. The following sires will have babies presented in the demonstration.

Welton Double Cracker
    Fleetwater Opposition
    Braveheart
    Feuertanzer
    Absolut 9039
    Heroicity

The horses will be presented In-Hand by Bruce/Staci Griffin & David O'Connor will be presenting his babies. Jo Whitehouse & Karen O' Connor will be commentating.

If you have been interested in getting your babies out to the FEH shows this is a great demonstration to give you an idea of what will be asked of them. Or if you are interested in how people are breeding for the future of our sport, come on out and join us for the USEA/ROLEX FEH Demonstration.
    Last edited by Kanga; Apr. 16, 2009 at 07:36 AM.

Kanga, how nice of you to organize this!

But looking at your list of youngsters, I'm really struck by the absence of a full TB.

A young TB is not a young WB (or TBxWB). Go to any in-hand show and you'll see that right away. But TBs are important for eventing and there are breeders out there who still persist in breeding full TBs for sport.

Sporthorse judges are not always good judges of young TBs. Flashy in-hand trot and body mass often (too often) trump quality TBs at in-hand shows -- and neither of these traits indicate much (or is it anything?) about eventing potential.

If full TBs are to hold their own in the sporthorse market, potential buyers, breeders and judges need to know what to look for in a TB. This demonstration would be a great place to talk about this.

(I hope I'll be there to watch. )

Default FEH Demo

Hi Jer,

I couldn't agree with you more. Next year I really hope to find some purpose bred TB's for this demo. We tried to get a Salute the Truth baby but were just unable to. I think there needs to be a pure TB in there also. That being said, if you are to look at the Welton Double Cracker lines there is lots of TB in there. My filly that is in the demo (even though she is Trak/ISH), is predominantly TB. Next year we are hoping that this demo will be taken to a new level and be quite a bit larger than this year or previous years. I would invite anyone out there to send me information on their horses in Dec/Jan time so that there is a larger variety of breeds representing the FEH and our sport of eventing.

At any rate, please come out to watch if you can!

Oh well.

I have a nice full TB 3 year-old (purpose-bred) but she's in NC.

'Predominantly TB' and 'full TB' are not exactly the same thing. I could give a demo on this using my 3 year-old TB filly and her 7 year-old half-sister (same dam, by Catherston Dazzler) who is 13/16ths TB.

At 3, the cross-bred had an impressive topline and a good layer of fat and muscle. The full TB has a very nice skeleton.

You really mean to say you can't find a suitable TB youngster in Lexington KY? That's like not finding a sheep in New Zealand or Guinness in an Irish pub.

Next year my TB filly will be 2. I'll be happy to bring her over.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Default FEH

DLee- Your ON! When we get closer, around Dec. is always a good time, please send me information on her and I DEFINITELY make sure we have a better variety next year.

JER- The boyfriend (he is the chair for the FEH in our area), actually picked the horses out. Leave it to a man and SEE what happens. Next year I'll make sure I do that part!!

Not having a full sport bred TB in this mix is a serious, serious over site--almost to the point of being insulting to those of us that own full TB youngsters bred for sport. That an appropriate one can't be found (or wasn't) for a exhibition in Lexington is nothing short of mind boggling. Considering that the single most represented breed in the weekend's 3-day competition is indeed the TB it makes me wonder if the whole series is more about a beauty pageant than actually identifying horses that can compete.

It is almost as disheartening as seeing that the only scheduled FEH events are all (5 of them) in Maryland.

I AGREE! I have a very nice 3 year old full thoroughbred gelding that I would love to campaign in the FEH series, but I am from the midwest and will not be traveling to the east coast for something so small. It's very discouraging!

Is it totally out of the question to try and rustle up a young TB for next week?

Yeah, it's short notice but this venue is one of the few opportunities for people to get together and talk about what makes an eventing prospect. Given that many, many eventers sort through the OTTB offerings for prospects, an FEH event like this could be a very helpful educational tool.

Once again, I AGREE! I have emailed "kanga" and offered up my 3yo for Rolex weekend. I'm willing to get him there, as I am a HUGE supporter of the FEH series. I have recently started my own small breeding program, and this 3 year old was my first homebred! I really would like to get him noticed!

Default judging the FEH

I looked through the licensed official book and noticed that there are none listed for event breeding or for FEH yet. The key to keeping this from becoming a dressage warmblood showcase will be the judging. Already it looks like a dressage breeding class (triangle format, and handlers from the dressage breeding world).
    I would encourage the organizers of the series to lean towards eventing background judges. For Example:The first year we ran the Fairhill FEH, we recruited Dennis Glaccum (who graciously volunteered for the pilot series show), he breeds, he has shown on the line, he has competed upper level and he has seen only a gazillion upper level horses. Those folks are out there.

I attended the demonstration last year and really appreciated the chance to see it done before I showed my baby later in the year.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in showing in the FEH series to contact a show organizer that is close to you, far enough in advance, and ask them if it would be possible to add it to an event.

I would talk to other owners/breeders of youngsters that you might be able to encourage to come, so that when you make this request, you can demonstrate that the interest is there.

That is what I did last year after the FEH at Champagne Run (which would have been a 12+ hour haul for me, when diesel was at $4 a gallon) was canceled. I had been very excited about bringing my baby to KY, but when that wasn't going to happen and I really didn't want to try for MD from FL, I contacted Alice, and Rocking Horse added the competition to their November show.

I don't know if it turned out to be worth it for the show to hold it, but she had one of the dressage judges willing to stay and do the FEH on Sunday morning, we had a great volunteer scribe and had the triangle set up in the dressage area and voila!

It was a great experience and though my baby didn't place well against some of her gorgeous competition, I was VERY proud of her temperment and it was a lot of fun to get her out and about and evaluated by a number of people whose judgment I trust (as well as the judge, of course!)

She has a really cool ribbon too, and the experience was awesome. I can't thank Alice enough for being willing to do it.

So, if you want to show your babies in the FEH -- ASK. Offer to volunteer, or round up enough people to make it worth their time.

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Not sure why my post was deleted...

-----ETA: NM, realized this was cross-posted and I had replied in the SHB forum, duh ---------

Anyway, it'd be nice if a replay of the youngsters and the comments was put online afterward
    Last edited by inquisitive; Apr. 15, 2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

Default TB added to the Future Event Horse Demo at Rolex

After much concern that a pure TB was not being represented at the USEA Future Event Horse Demonstration, we were able to add more time that would allow us to include another horse.

COTH's own JER will be bringing her 3 year old filly by HEROICITY to Rolex for our Demonstration. Thank all of you that have offered your TB's for this and we look forward to everyone coming out to watch!

Yes, 'tis true. My 3 year-old TB will be there.

However, Glenbaer is doing the hard work of actually bringing her there -- this is big effort on short notice but an FEH demo without a TB is almost like, to quote Billy Bob Thornton, mashed potatoes without the gravy.

I assure you all that my TB filly is a very typical TB filly. Nice bones that can be seen from back row, skinny neck, etc. But both parents are race-bred TBs from good sport horse lines who produce quality sport horses.

So yeah, if you want to spot my filly Nina, just look for the skinny one.

And please, please show up for this demo! Kanga et al. have put a lot of work into making it happen and it should be very informative.

Little Foal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    And please, please show up for this demo! Kanga et al. have put a lot of work into making it happen and it should be very informative.
    This is wonderful. A big "thank you" to Kanga and everyone else involved! Its also great that there's a full TB. Hopefully, TBs in eventing will be one thing that stays preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Hi Jer,

I couldn't agree with you more. Next year I really hope to find some purpose bred TB's for this demo. We tried to get a Salute the Truth baby but were just unable to. I think there needs to be a pure TB in there also....
    Steuart would have really really loved to bring one of his 3-year old Salute The Truth sons this year, but he's got a clinic in Maine that weekend, so we couldn't do it. JER - good luck with your Heroicity baby!!
    Last edited by Erin Pittman; Apr. 17, 2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: wrong state!
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Default FEH

Hi Erin,

Keep this in mind for next year. If you have a 1 -3 year old next year by Salute the Truth, send me the information around December and I will make sure he/she is in the demo next year.

Thanks!!

Kanga,

Maybe we'll have an addition to the line up for 2011! Mommy had her date Yesterday!

Johanna
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

Default FEH

Johanna,

How fun would that be!!! My fingers are crossed, QHEventr just bred to my boy Gaelic Opposition. If all goes well she will have the first baby on the ground by him in this country!

Back to FEH, come out and join us. I really think this is going to be the best demo we have had to date!!