The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nutrena Safe Choice feed - who uses it?

Currently, our barn is feeding most horses at our barn Strategy. There has been a little discussion about Nutrena's Safe Choice. Thoughts?? I don't have problems with my horses being hot on Strategy but they get very little (1/2 lb twice a day) and are outside in a small paddock. Both get a little round easily.

Any comments would be great.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I did use it until I found out it is not manufactured with a fixed formula. The ingredients change from bag to bag. There is another thread here on it. The tags from the bags also seemed to differ from area to area if I recall. Also the sugar/starch content is higher than the ideal. I switched to Blue Seal Carb Guard and am quite happy with it.

I use it and am completley happy with it. I've used it for years. It may not be a "fixed formula" but it's still in normal range. I am not fixated (sp?) with the formula. And for my horses, the sugar/starch content is ideal. I do not find it to be too high on that account at all. And I have to have my one guy on a EPSM diet of low sugar/starch. I like the fact that it does not have the "hot effect" as some feeds. My horses are thriving on it. It was a turn around for my older guy who could not eat senior feed as it was too rich for him. You will find people who love it or hate it, as with just about any feed you can find. All you can do is try it and see if your horse do well on it or not.
    R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

My TB gelding did horrible on it, I would stick with the Strategy... Some horses do not do so well with all the soy in it and my gelding was one. The BO at the barn I just came from ended up switching all of the horses from it but one because none of them would put on weight. Lots of Appendix's in that barn and some QH's. SafeChoice gets a big thumbs down from me.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Default Transitioning now

My paint gelding years ago did not do well on it.

But, Appy Princess is going into training next week, and it is included in her board, so last week i started to transition her- we'll see what we get!. She's a freak of nature as it is so not expecting any miracles to happen.

Mine have been on it for a couple of years as has my friend's. They all do wonderfully on it.
    It was recommended by our Vet and I wouldn't change to anything else.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Default TC feeds

hunter mom-

If you have horses eating such a small amount they most likely are #1 not being fed anywhere near what the feeding recommendation on the bag calls for and #2 are then being shortchanged vitamins and minerals and if they "can get round easily"..you should find more of a ration balancer or a feed that is lower in fat and more nutrient dense which can be fed in a smaller amount and will then meet their vitamin and mineral requirements. Safe choice says it is a 7% min. fat content, which at first glance sounds quite high and good (if you are looking for a higher fat feed) for your horse, but it sounds to me like your horses do not need that fat content and as stated before they really need something like 2.5-5lb a day to get their vit/min needs met. Since I work for Triple crown I'd naturally recommend you try out the TC lite iwhich is low in fat, high in fiber, lower in NSC than safechoice and has a feeding recommendation of only 1 lb per 500 lb of body weight, so if you have horses around 1000lb, they eat 2 lb a day and vit/mineral needs are met, plus TC feeds contain probiotics, digestive enzymes, organic minerals, yeast cultures and biotin in the feed. No need for additional vit/min supplements and you may be able to eliminiate other supplements that contain any of these ingredients. Depending on where you live you could also try TC supplements, Triple crown offers a 12 or 30% protein supplement that are fed 1 1/2 lb a day. These feeds too are low in fat, low in NSC and contain all the same ingredients listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry Chick View Post
    I use it and am completley happy with it. I've used it for years. It may not be a "fixed formula" but it's still in normal range. I am not fixated (sp?) with the formula. And for my horses, the sugar/starch content is ideal. I do not find it to be too high on that account at all. And I have to have my one guy on a EPSM diet of low sugar/starch. I like the fact that it does not have the "hot effect" as some feeds. My horses are thriving on it. It was a turn around for my older guy who could not eat senior feed as it was too rich for him. You will find people who love it or hate it, as with just about any feed you can find. All you can do is try it and see if your horse do well on it or not.
    According to this http://www.thehorseshoof.com/diet2.html, safe choice is about 26%nsc. BS carb guard is under 11%. To me that is a big difference. IT sure does make a difference to my mare. If it works out for you that is good, that's what we all want, a feed that works. It don't for me. And I also prefer to have my mare getting the same ingredients all the time. I would think it would be detrimental to someone who had a horse who was allergic to an ingredient, found it was not on the label, so began feeding it. Then they buy another bag, have already read the label do don't this time and end up with the horse having a reaction to the feed because the ingredient they are allergic to which wasn't there to begin with is now there. I more trust a company who is more reluctant to change their ingredients just because the cost of one is cheaper that week. But that is just how I view it, you know, we are all different. We are all striving to do the best by our horses. BS CARb Guard is working out very well for me, and BS is for sure a well respected , long standing company which is also just up the road from me.

That doesn't make much difference in my horse feed even though a relative works there but sure does help in other ways. Last week relative brought over 57 boxes of BS rounders, 76 of those square suet cakes for the birds, 10 bags of woodpecker feed, 7 bags of natural dog bones all for free. If a mouse chews into the box that they are packed in they throw them away even if the individual pkgs are untouched. That is something that greatly benefits the birds in my area, my dogs etc.

I do think you are very lucky that your EPSM horse does well on a feed with a nsc that high though as most I know of don't.
    Last edited by WaningMoon; Apr. 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added sentence

tcnhorsefeed - the fact they get so little is a concern for me. I worry they're not getting all the nutrients they need. That said, they're both fat and slick and shiny and have no problems (knock on wood) so perhaps I'm worrying about nothing.

Since they get so little, I wouldn't expect you to see any difference. We feed it here; I raised my app/perch cross on it. He is 17 hands at age 4, so I have no complaints! It is a good all-around feed.

And, tcnhorsefeed is right; 1 pound a day of ANY feed is way below what any manufacturer recommends feeding, so a vitamin/mineral supplement is definitely in order. I personally use MVP Mega Cell.

Is it me, or are these feed threads starting to get as inflammatory as the shoeing/barefoot threads...

To take this a little different route, assuming my girls are both roly-poly mares and that regardless of what grain, they won't need lots of it, what other than supplements can I do to make sure they're getting ample nutrients? They're fed brome hay. I have never really thought much about nutrition for them as they're boarded, but now...

My horse was not holding weight on Ultium, but after moving to a new barn at the end of January, where they feed Safe Choice, he has put on a LOT of weight and looks much healthier. So far I'm very happy with it.

I feed it to a few horses. It is lower in NSC than Strategy. And with regards to the formula being fixed, I thought the ingredients are fixed but that quantity may need to vary a bit if any particular ingredient is not providing enough nutritional content. I can't remember if SafeChoice contains alfalfa or not but I'm going to use it as an example. If Nutrena promises 14% protein and the shipment of alfalfa they use is a little higher or lower than it needs to be then the amout of soy might have to lowered or increased. Honestly, I can't remember what exactly is in SafeChoice.

I feed primarily alfalfa pellets with Equi-VM vite/min from Uckele. They get more lysine from the alfalfa as well as a bit from the Equi-VM. I do use SafeChoice for a couple of horses here and there and for one of mine that is sensitive to flax seed and can't handle the TC products.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

I wasn't mad about it. My horse was on it for a while, and looked OK. He was switched to XTN and finally Strategy (the XTN made him a raging lunatic) and looks wonderful. Excellent weight, beautiful coat, and plenty of energy without being nut.

This is the thread from a while back where we were comparing the list of ingredients from SafeChoice bags at our barns. Some are really different from others.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ght=safechoice
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    This is the thread from a while back where we were comparing the list of ingredients from SafeChoice bags at our barns. Some are really different from others.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ght=safechoice
    Really??? Maybe NYS has different rules or something, but all our ingredients are uniform and consistent. I have spoken at length to our district rep and he is able to trace any bag back to the actual vat it was mixed in and tell me who was working that day!!! Also, a while back someone posted about Nutrena manufacturing alfalfa pellets...I have spoken with the company directly and they do NOT manufacture them; I buy alfalfa pellets THROUGH my Nutrena feed dealer but they are clearly tagged as being manufactured in Ohio and are pure, dehydrated alfalfa. Period.

Personally, I was turned off to Purina a long time ago because a friend was using Omelene and her vet was horrified by it. I guess we all have our loyalties...

I have fed it for about four years now and just love it. Have had babies and adults on it and they did and still do fantastic. Honestly, I can't see feeding anything else.

Hunter's Mom, I would get a good vitamin/mineral supplement, add it in and see how it all goes. I use Mega Mag, which is good, but there are several others out there that are also good. Smartpak has a comparison chart of the supplements they sell, which breaks it down into ingredients and daily cost. That may be of some help to you.

Having used SafeChoice since it came out, and then having to switch because of health issues, I honestly think your experience with the product is going to depend on which mill is manufacturing it for you, and if they have made changes to the product. Our horses did great on it for years, the mill made some changes, and then the remaining horse on it developed a pot belly, not so great coat, and movement I didn't care for. We switched to Blue Seal Carb Gurad, and he is back in good form.

Good luck with your horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Altamont Sport Horses View Post
    And with regards to the formula being fixed, I thought the ingredients are fixed but that quantity may need to vary a bit if any particular ingredient is not providing enough nutritional content. I can't remember if SafeChoice contains alfalfa or not but I'm going to use it as an example. If Nutrena promises 14% protein and the shipment of alfalfa they use is a little higher or lower than it needs to be then the amout of soy might have to lowered or increased. Honestly, I can't remember what exactly is in SafeChoice.
    This is what I understood too!

And the different areas having different things still fits into this. The resources in one area might not be able to meet the nutritional requirements that the resources in another area might use. But the formula is fixed for that area.

NSC Strategy: ~30
    NSC SafeChoice: ~26

NSC Levels Regarded as "Low Starch and Sugar": 20

Both feeds are still not really regarded as Low NSC, but Safe Choice has good marketing in calling it "controlled starch formula"

Every feed is "controlled". I wouldn't really waste money on a feed that doesn't tell me outright what the exact level they are committing to when it comes to starch and sugar and their promotional claims.

To each his own...I know the feed works well for some, and it is lower than Strategy...but not by much.

Not Fixed formulas: The equine digestive tract is VERY sensitive. By swapping sources (even in amount) using "collective terms", a whole list of ingredients can be changed depending on what is cheapest in commodity prices. With this inconsistency, it is a slight risk that you are jeopardizing digestibility of nutrients from ingredient sources. Always look at the collective terms used and make sure you know what sources are included in that term. If all of the ingredients seem O.K. for your horse, go for it. If not, don't take the risk. In a perfect world, you would want the products to be fixed formulas and not least cost.