The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Forging - what's going on under there???

I've recently put shoes on my pony, and now I can hear forging going on under me!!!! In the past I have had a horse that forged very occasionally but I had that comment once on a dressage test......

This thought leads me to believe that I can fix this as a rider This is
    a green horse, and I'm not the world's best rider. Just looking for some suggestions. I intend on bringing this up with the farrier as well!

THANKS
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

There are a couple of reasons he may be forging (well there are probably more then a couple but here's my 2 cents); Firstly he may be strung out and unbalanced OR secondly he may need his toes rolled ie his toes are too long.

Talk to your farrier and instructor to see which is more likely.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSprats Mom View Post
    There are a couple of reasons he may be forging (well there are probably more then a couple but here's my 2 cents); Firstly he may be strung out and unbalanced OR secondly he may need his toes rolled ie his toes are too long.

Talk to your farrier and instructor to see which is more likely.
    Well he LITERALLY just got the shoes on Friday put on by a natural balance farrier. This is actually the first time he's HAD his toes rolled. It's made a huge difference in his movement.

He's more than likely strung out AND unbalanced I will pay better attention tomorrow and see if I can pinpoint it exactly.
    Sarah in New Hampshire

If you trust your farrier knows what he's doing (and alot don't) then it may be him also adjusting to shoes if this is the first time.

Personally i don't like them to forge even if strung out and will have my farrier correct it.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Agree with JackSprasts Mom.

I don't like rolled toes. I prefer squared off toes if you need to have the hoof breaking over sooner.

If the horse is young, green or unbalanced they should be shod accordingly. If he is forging, then usually squaring off the hind shoes/toes for a quicker breakover behind is what you want.

You don't want the horse forging.

The horse is actually barefoot behind - squared toes with a bit of a roll to them (to bring the breakover back).

Will send an email to the farrier and see what his advice is....Wondering if it's too soon to judge, considering I've ridden him 2 times since he's been shod for the first time....
    Sarah in New Hampshire

Long toes in front - slower breakover
    Short toes behind - quicker breakover
    = forging
    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
    NO! What was the question?

It also has to do with the individual horse and how he tends to break over in front versus behind, naturally.

The pony in question is naturally built downhill. He's about an inch taller in the butt than in the front. I'm wondering then if this has to do with conformation at all???? We're really eventers but the dressage is very important to me! We're just now starting the canter work, but he's pretty solid Walk / Trot. Last fall we did two 2-phases where we scored 64% & 66% on the dressage portion of the 2-phase.

He's an ex-plow horse - used to plow fields on the farm! He *does* go in to "plow" mode where he "bears" down and trots like he's plowing. I don't think that's what was happening, but I bet if I lighten the forehand he'll forge less, no?
    Sarah in New Hampshire

Conformation is always the issue with any of this stuff.

Yes, lightening the forehand should help, BUT ... the concern would be that if you are jumping he may come down and overreach and step on the back of his front heels ... that could cause an injury, as in cracking the wings of the coffin bone or cutting the bulbs of the heels severely, etc.

So, best to figure out if getting the toes of the front feet to break over even sooner might help.

I thought getting the back feet to break over sooner helped, but I have forgotten for sure, so ask a good farrier or vet in case your farrier isn't real experienced with this type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by joharavhf View Post
    T I don't think that's what was happening, but I bet if I lighten the forehand he'll forge less, no?
    Works for me when my horses start to forge!!! I know I'VE let them get on their forehand.

NOW, the question is does pony just forge under saddle?

Quote Originally Posted by gailbyrd View Post
    NOW, the question is does pony just forge under saddle?

Now THAT is the golden question, huh??? I'll have to find out and if so I guess I'm a crappy rider
    Sarah in New Hampshire