The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Research paper topic- American horse breeds

Hello! I am writing a research paper for school and my topic is American Horse Breeds. I am going to pick 4 breeds to talk about, and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on popular american breeds. I am doing Mustangs and Quarter Horses for sure... I just need 2 others. Thanks!

Not sure I would consider mustang to be a breed...

But anyway, some suggestions -

Morgan
    American Saddlebred
    Missouri Foxtrotter
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Appaloosa
    Paint
    Saddlebred
    Standardbred
    Morgan
    Missouri Fox Trotter

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I think I might do:
    Quarter horses
    Appaloosas
    Saddlebreds and
    Morgans

Thanks again!

AQHA
    APHA

Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    AQHA
    APHA

Thanks!!

I vote Standardbred and second place American Saddlebred.

The standardbred has an incredible yet overlooked history in North America... like Stanford University... was the beloved standardbred farm of Leland Stanford and his wife. They produced some of the great racing lines we see today mostly from their main stallion Electioneer (sired by Hambletonian, dam Green Mountain Maid). After Leland passed away, his wife continued the farm for almost a decade but sold the last of the historic bloodstock to help fund the creation of Stanford University in honor of their son who passed away.

The famous Dan Patch- a true national sports hero- in an era before we really had sports heros! Who toured the country showing off his speed to the fans of all ages. How many horses can claim to be a household name!

All right, all right, I'll shut up now

Morgans are my faves

Also...

Tennessee Walking Horse
    Kentucky Mountain Horse
    Florida "Cracker"
    Pony of the Americas
    Moyle (the horned horse )
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Nokota
    Nokota
    Nokota
    Nokota

oh and did I mention Nokota? An old breed with a new name.

www.nokotahorse.org

The Nokota horse has been around for over 100 years having descended from Sitting Bull's war and buffalo ponies and early settler's horses. The Native Americans didn't name their horses as a breed but various regions of the country the Native American nations had their own distinct breeds, a type if you will which for one created the Appaloosa, named by the Europeans because of the region, the area surrounding the river, Palouse I believe it's spelled, feel free to correct my spelling but it went from the Palouse River horse to , Palousie and Appalousie to Appaloosa over time.

The Nokota horse was never named until the 1970's when the Kuntz brothers and Harvard researcher Dr. Castle McLaughlin currently an associate curator in anthropology of the Peabody Museum uncovered the history of this very rare American bred horse. They are indeed a rare find and according to Dr. Robert Utley former park ranger and historian, they are an important part of American history.

Appaloosa, how the Nez Perce developed the breed and it's importance in their life. Also, how after the Nez Perce unsuccessful flight to Canada (they stopped 5 miles short of the border), to avoid going to a reservation. The US government tried to destroy the breed by making it illegal to breed an appaloosa to anything but a draft horse.

Instead of doing "mustangs" pick Spanish Mustangs aka Colonial Spanish horses. They are the original and first horse of the Americas that all other American breeds descend from.

www.Horseoftheamericas.com
    http://americanheritagehorse.org/
    www.spanishmustang.org

If you are from Cali or have family there then you should do one on the Spanish Sulphur horse!
    Owner and enthusiast of the very rare California Vaquero Horse breed; the breed whose ancestors helped the Spaniards of California establish the territory of California.

Quote Originally Posted by appdream View Post
    Appaloosa, how the Nez Perce developed the breed and it's importance in their life.... The US government tried to destroy the breed by making it illegal to breed an appaloosa to anything but a draft horse.
    This explains why my foundation-bred App wore a draft horse halter and a WB bridle.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

American Saddlebred
    Morgan
    Appaloosa
    Tennessee Walking Horse (a bit of controversy there if you're interested, haha)

I personally would probably do the ASB and the Morgan because I really love the breeds and their stories. The Morgan breed has a very nice back story starting with the breed's first horse - Justin Morgan = ) I also love the ASB and have had several, plus they were used as cavalry horses back in the day and have an interesting breed development story as well. I have an Appaloosa right now, so that could be fun, and they also have a great history in the US. And the TWH has its fair bit of controversy if you want to add some juicy details to the paper. Just look up TWH-Big Lick on here or elsewhere.

Very fun topic! Can't imagine what I'd rather research besides horses, haha.

Well you have to do the Morgan as America's first "official" breed
    http://www.morganhorse.com/about_the_morgan/history/

Tennessee Walking Horse-- America's gaited all-purpose horse!
    Missouri Fox Trotters, Standardbreds, ASBs and Morgans are nice choices, too.

Florida Cracker and Marsh Tacky horses are also gaited and very rare.

Quarter Horses are so heavily promoted and advertised that they are too run-of-the-mill as a special report topic IMHO.

If I'm not mistaken Kiger Mustangs are a totally American breed.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post

Florida Cracker and Marsh Tacky horses are also gaited and very rare.
    Not all are gaited. They are a recognized strain of Colonial Spanish horses also, closely related to my Spanish Mustangs, and accepted by inspection into the Horse of the America's registry.

A lot of the Nokota horses can do the Indian Shuffle, a unique gait.

The American Cream Draft horse is the only draft breed from the US. Developed in Iowa in the 40's or 50's.