The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lord?

I understand that there are some issues to be considered if using the stallion Lord. I am interested in the Lord line and would like opinions of Lord on top. The mare is an Irish Sport Horse of the type as old German and Dutch mares...looking to produce jumper and eventer for market. Lord Capitol is in my area so I would be quite close to Lord in the pedigree. Thanks PatO

he tends to produce the bigger older style horses. and looking at the pictures of lord capitol i can assume that he will too. The horses are old fashioned and a little dumb. they have nice hind ends though. but depends on what the mare is like.

Default I understand that there are some issues to be considered if using the stallion Lord."

...any others with input? I am considering purchasing a gelding of this line and would love to hear what others have to say...positives or negatives.

Question Bump...Anyone else??

Any other thoughts on the subject?

I've ridden and worked with a few Lord horses and they're big and pretty, but kinda dumb. They can be a tough (read stubborn) ride and a bit much for an intermediate or small rider. Just the horses I've worked with (with Lord close in the pedigree), I'm sure they're are Lord horses out there that arn't like this, JMHO.
    Might want to try horses with Cassini lines- they are usually an easier ammy ride and still have a big, brave jump. Just a thought...
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...now where did I put those marbles...
    Secretary, WTF Registry

Lord Capital was in his teens when he came to MN, so I can't say what he was like as a young horse, but watching him at shows over the years, I would think he is not typical of the Lord lines. He is big and pretty, but also seems extremely intelligent and kind. One of the nicest dispositions I've ever seen and an impeccable work ethic. He is in his twenties now I believe and retired from showing. The foals I have seen have been very correct and sweet. I have only seen one out of a warmblood mare and she was lovely and not too heavy.

I'm sure Bill Nunn at Skyrock would be happy to put you in touch with breeders who have used him. I think Bill has some of his offspring as well
    Last edited by tuckawayfarm; Apr. 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo

Bill Nunn is a wonderful guy. He does indeed have young horses by him, I have seen quite a few that are lovely. I know he is very proud of the easy going natures Lord Capital puts on his babies. Call him! Better yet if you're close enough go visit his farm, you'll see everything from Lord Capital babies to successful show horses by him!

Team Nijhof catalog has Lord Z, a son of Lord.

Lord Z was an international competitor.

Can't be too slow in that league.

Lord was an international eventer. You are talking of putting him to an ISH - they event.

Default Luv my Lord Grand Baby!

I am the proud owner of a Lord Grand Baby - his sire is Lordship and I couldn't be happier I purchased him from October Hill Farm as an Event/Jumper prospect.
    At 3,(well, pretty much 4) he is super compliant with loads of talent! Knowing that all of his full siblings went to amatuers such as myself assured me that he would be pretty straight-forward to work with.
    Not sure what the "issues" are that the OP is referring to...but personality? talent? athleticism? My guy has loads of all that, I just have to start tapping it !

No personal experience but I'd always heard that Lord blood usually meant nice (Ammy) temperment.
    Sandy in Fla.

I had a holsteiner that had lord on his papers, his dam was Isabella and her sire was lord callando and his sire was lord.. so three generations? back

anyways my gelding was huge almost 18hh.. and he wasnt the sharpest tool in the shed to say the least.. I refer to him as the reason why warmbloods got the name "dumbloods" he was fancy though just not an easy ride at all!

Don't know if three generations back counts - there are a lot of other horses that could have added to the equation. Lord is one of the pillars of Holstein breeding so doubt they would have used him so much if he was a dumblood. Lord Calando is still one of the top sires also.