The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Horse Colors . . .

So as I was sitting mindlessly videotaping reining runs today I got tired of counting seconds the riders wasted between movements (I don't think the rule books mean 13 seconds (average) when it says "hesitate") when I heard someone refer to the horse in the arena as a "chocolate palomino." OK, so when I was a kid in the Dark Ages there were far fewer colors than there seem to be now - black, brown, bay, palomino, chestnut/sorrel (depending on the TB or the QH registry), Paint/pinto - tobiano or overo, gray, red (or strawberry) roan, blue roan, dun, buckskin. As someone who grew up around and showed palominos, palomino was ONLY a variation of gold with no dark body hairs and a white (no more than 15% dark hair) mane and tail.
    So I started listing in my mind all the other colors I've heard over the years - I'll bet you've all got some, too. And of course the minute I sat down to list them I've already forgotten a bunch I had in my head . . .

BAY
    blood bay
    mahogany bay
    black bay
    yellow bay

GRAY
    dapple gray
    rose gray
    flea-bitten gray

PALOMINO
    chocolate palomino
    smutty palomino

PAINT/PINTO
    tovero
    sabino
    rabicano

DUN
    All kinds of variations of this, but only one sticks in my head - my one daughter's old event pony is a red dun and some one - very seriously, mind you - told me one day that he's not a red dun, he's "apricot" dun.

The ones you mentioned pus:

Buckskin

Cremello

Perlino

Champagne(aren't there three or four variations of this gene??)

Overo

Tovero

Smokey Black

Roan (two or three different types here as well??)

Smokey Cream

Grulla

Silver (is this a modifier or a seperate gene??)

Dunskin

Dunalino

Brindle

I don't consider Sabino to be a seperate "color" but more of a marking or pattern, even if the horse is completely white. Somewhat ditto Rabicano. It's a pattern of white hairs in the coat but an occur on different base colors.

I'm sure there are some I've forgotten
    Last edited by jilltx; Apr. 12, 2009 at 09:23 AM.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

What I see not mentioned.

Tobiano

Bay Roan
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

All the different Silver Registries:

-Silver on Black

-Silver on Bay (My horse's colour )

-Silver on Brown (Seal)

-Silver on Chestnut

Link for pics etc.
    http://www.dilutes.iinet.net.au/silver_register.htm

Coloured Registry for Australia. Has all the 'Odd' colours
    http://www.dilutes.iinet.net.au0

I've also heard of steel grey, honey chestnut, liver chestnut, red chestnut and a ton of others I cant think of right now.

LOL! In my mind there are:black
    brown
    bay
    chestnut
    grey
    odd colors: roan
    paint/pinto
    buckskins
    palaminos
    albino

Quote Originally Posted by mandalea View Post
    All the different Silver Registries:

-Silver on Black

-Silver on Bay (My horse's colour )

-Silver on Brown (Seal)

-Silver on Chestnut

Link for pics etc.
    http://www.dilutes.iinet.net.au/silver_register.htm

Coloured Registry for Australia. Has all the 'Odd' colours
    http://www.dilutes.iinet.net.au0

I've also heard of steel grey, honey chestnut, liver chestnut, red chestnut and a ton of others I cant think of right now.
    I was continuing the list based on genetic colors, not color descriptions. Steel grey, honey chestnut...are still the BASE colors with a different appearance. Liver might be the exception and flaxen chestnut.

Thanks for adding tobiano, I could have worn the OP listed it.
    ~Jilltx~

And there are advances with knowledge. We had a chocolate palomino pony that according to science isn't palomino at all but silver dapple (silver on black base).

Interesting, nightsong.

I just started the grasp the "dilutes and double dilutes" then someone threw "Champagne" on me in all it's forms.

I usually need someone to explain it to me like I am three at times.

I don't remember, is "grulla" actually a genetic color or a type of roan? See, now I'm getting all confused again.
    ~Jilltx~

Isn't grulla a shade of dun? We had one here with really well-defined primitive markings. I forgot about all those shades of chestnut!

Yes, grulla is considered a dun.

Grey
    Chestnut/sorrel
    Black
    Bay
    Brown
    Palomino
    Buckskin
    Smoky Black
    Cremello
    Perlino
    Smoky Cream
    Red/Claybank Dun
    Dun
    Grullo/Grulla
    Classic Champagne
    Sable Champagne
    Gold Champagne
    Amber Champagne
    Red/Strawberry Roan
    Blue Roan
    Bay Roan

Not as common, but you can have many countless combinations of the above (for example a chestnut horse with a creme gene, dun gene, and roan gene would be a dunalino roan)

You can have Overo, Tobiano, Tovero, Splash, Sabino, Rabicano patterns on any of the above

There are the various appaloosa patterns (leopard, blanket, snowflake, varnish, etc)

Plus there are other modifiers like silver, sooty, smutty, flaxen, mealy... which affect various colors.

Then there are the ways people describe the visual expression of the color genes, even though the horses may be genetically the same. Bays can be mahogany bay, dark bay, blood/red bay...

Greys can be rose grey, dapple grey, flea-bitten grey, etc depending on their stage of the greying process and their genetic base color.

When you consider all of these things and the way they can be combined and layered genetically... there are almost limitless color possibilities.

I have, at present, a grulla mare
    http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...=BoAug2_08.jpg

and a dun appendix QH. The latter is registered as red dun, but he's really just a dun. Though I overheard someone passing us on a trail ride saying to riding partner, ah, that's a nice red dun. But no, really, he's just a dun.

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=100_1818.jpg

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...evLukeXP08.jpg

My recently deceased qh was listed as buckskin on his papers but he, too, was a dun.

Does red dun look pretty much like sorrel (chestnut), except you can see the stripe on the back?

Okay, so the chocolate palomino really did look like the silver on brown on that website! Pretty horse. So the sire & dam would have had to have which dilute to end up like that? And are they like duns where they have to have a parent with the factor?

Duns (at least as far as Norwegian Fjords are concerned) come in various color:

Brown Dun (yellow body with black/dark brown dorsal stripe) 90%
    Red Dun (yellow body with red dorsal stripe) 3%
    White Dun (white body with black/dark brown dorsal stripe) 3%
    Gray Dun (gray body with dark dorsal stripe) 3%
    Yellow Dun (yellow body with yellow/nearly invisible dorsal stripe) less than 1%

The percentages are the approximate distribution of the color variation in the population of horses registered with the NFHR.

here is another dilution gene

Pearl
    http://www.homozygous-horses.com/pearl.html

Choc and smutty palo are the same... it is caused by the smutty/sooty
    http://www.theequinest.com/horse-col...-sooty-smutty/

Here is a good page with modifiers and everything
    http://www.weberpages.com/horsecolorgenetics.htm
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

The thing about black horses is funky too. There's Bay Black and there's True Black.

Bay Blacks are really just bay horses that are REALLY dark. You can tell them by the brown on the muzzle.
    True blacks have only black hairs on them (with white markings of course). Fresians are true blacks. True Blacks are harder to find than Bay blacks.
    Iron Star Equestrian

Heels Down, Eyes Up, Plan Ahead

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Equestryn View Post
    The thing about black horses is funky too. There's Bay Black and there's True Black.

Bay Blacks are really just bay horses that are REALLY dark. You can tell them by the brown on the muzzle.
    Of course, you might need to own that horse for 365 days to figure out if he was a true black or just faking it. I had a dark bay/brown horse that as a stallion even had that blue sheen to him. And if he was clipped or had a spring/early summer coat on him, he looked pretty darn black even as a gelding. But around late summer when his winter coat came in he got a bad case of "mule mouth", revealing his true colors.

Right now I have a very red chestnut TB youngster who has a rabicano roaning on his flanks and a skunk tail, but this mane and tail are a good strong dark liver with a lot of black. It's not such an unusual combination or color, except for TBs. I haven't seen too many livers in teh breed, never mind really red livers, and to add the roaning on top of it - kind of unusual. He's 2 and still hasn't grown out the silver tail top - I kind of hope he doesn't , although right now it's a bitch to match a fake tail (and he reallyreallyreally needs one)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Within Chestnut there are many too...

Red Chestnut
    Liver Chestnut
    Flaxen Chestnut
    Bright Chestnut

For bay.. there are more too
    Bright Bay
    Dark Bay
    Mahogany Bay
    Coppery Bay
    Blood Bay
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

Quote Originally Posted by Equestryn View Post

True blacks have only black hairs on them (with white markings of course). Fresians are true blacks. True Blacks are harder to find than Bay blacks.

I have had this arguement so much lately, since I do have a true Black OTTB Gelding.

People constantly tell me he's not a true black.. but he IS a true black. He has no brown at all around the muzzle. He does bleach out all over.. to a reddish or even a yellowish color in the summer but retains his black muzzle.

He is a OTTB BLACK gelding! People also say a black gelding loses his true black...once gelded. I don't think so in my horse's case.

The only thing he has that isn't black are a few white hairs on his face, one tiny white patch on his left hind, and a few scattered white hairs on his flanks.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design