The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which would you use?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mare Magic

14 43.75%
  • Moody Mare

4 12.50%
  • Either

0 0%
  • Neither

3 9.38%
  • Another product - please describe

11 34.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mare Magic vs. Moody Mare

Okay, you mare owners or those familiar with these products. Going to try to post a poll. Ahem, here goes.

I am not sure, isn't it the same thing?

No, the Mare Magic contains mostly raspberry leaves and is a lot less and you feed less.

The Moody Mare contains:
    Active Ingredients Per Scoop: Rosemary, Basil, Dandelion, Marigold, Vervain

Inactive Ingredients: Alfalfa, Chamomile, Golden Rod.

BTW, neither of these products have Valerian Root, which seems to sometimes be a wonderful thing (from what I've read) and sometimes causes negative reactions (what they are I don't know!).

Bumping, hoping to get some feedback before OT's over. Yes, have called vet for advice, but no word yet.

I tried Mare Magic and saw a huge difference so I then started to order just raspberry leaves from bulkherbstore.com for an incredibly cheap price. My OTTB has been on the stuff for over a year now and I haven't seen her once uncomfortable when she comes into heat - in fact you can't even tell when she's in heat. Now she wasn't one who got bitchy or anything like that - she would would rub her hips/sides on the walls of her stall horribly to the point where she'd have open sores (small ones). You could tell she was hurting - I even took her into the vet clinic and had everything inside checked out! (Yes she was fine/normal).

So plain raspberry leaves are what I'd try first .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I tried several things on Sierra. I tried herbs, but she flat out REFUSED to eat! If I fed it in her stall, she wouldn't touch her food at all! If I tried hand-feeding her, she wouldn't take it. If fed out in the field, she'd chase after another horse, stealing their grain, making them eat her supplements. Some of those come in a liquid form, but she won't take a liquid on her grain either. Same reaction. The vet tried Depo Provera twice and that did nothing! This past Feb. the vet had me try ReguMate. It's been the MAGIC drug for Sierra! The ONLY thing that has worked on her. Yes, it's a liquid, but at 12cc per day, the stable hand just squirts the syringe into her mouth and she takes it. For some reason, she dosn't mind that, but won't take it in her food. Go figure......

She was VERY bad in season - going in all winter long and before starting the ReguMate, she was going in every 2 weeks (I couldn't make this up). She would put people into walls if you were grooming her. You needed to keep a crop to wave at her so she'd move over. Didn't want to work - would squeal if longed (still does sometimes, but much more willing) and very lazy - all woah, no go under saddle! She'd stop constantly to squirt (like every few minutes). She was B-A-D! Now? She's much more focused, willing to work, nicer to be around. It's really helped her.

Thanks a lot. I was hoping to stay away from Reg if possible!

I know a lot of people don't like using ReguMate. It is controversial and has both it's positives and negatives. That's why I saved that for the last straw. I had my concerns about using it too. My vet insisted on doing a physical before dispensing it. I just didn't know what else to do with Sierra. She's so difficult with meds and supplements.

Mare Magic = Pure raspberry leaf. I just buy bulk raspberry leaf at herbalcom.com
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Last year, I had Tess on Mare Magic and Quiessence. She was able to focus really well during her heat cycles. After she got sick, I had to totally change her diet. Now, she is only on Quiessence. It seems to be doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    I tried Mare Magic and saw a huge difference so I then started to order just raspberry leaves from bulkherbstore.com for an incredibly cheap price. My OTTB has been on the stuff for over a year now and I haven't seen her once uncomfortable when she comes into heat - in fact you can't even tell when she's in heat. Now she wasn't one who got bitchy or anything like that - she would would rub her hips/sides on the walls of her stall horribly to the point where she'd have open sores (small ones). You could tell she was hurting - I even took her into the vet clinic and had everything inside checked out! (Yes she was fine/normal).

So plain raspberry leaves are what I'd try first .

How much did you feed? I'm very interested in the idea of buying bulk raspberry leaves....

Why did you decide to take Tess off of Mare Magic and leave her on Q?

I've had my mare on Mare Magic on and off for about 4 or 5 years (like others, I just buy the raspberry leaves in bulk, now--much cheaper!); just 1 heaping scoop (standard size) per day--a "loading dose" of about twice that for a week or two might be helpful.

It seems to help somewhat, and since the price is right, there is really no downside.

Also, keep in mind that Moody Mare contains Vervain, which "tests" if you are planning to compete...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by Daatje View Post
    How much did you feed? I'm very interested in the idea of buying bulk raspberry leaves....
    I feed about two ounces a day - I add it to her grain along w/ water so it sticks and she eats it right up. I just use one of the 1-oz scoops I have from another supplement.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

What you use depends on whether your mare has problems during her heat or throughout her cycle. My understanding is that raseberry leaf is good for during heat problems. Chaste berry works better for over all irritability. I'm currently using ground Chasteberry (1oz), Magnesium (1100 mg) and a herbal trace mineral supplement.

(Don't ask me what's in it. I asked my herbalist aka the witch doctor if the horse needed anything and that's what he put her on. He does this weird energy work and works with herbs. I remain skeptical, but he fixed my shoulder when western medicine had fired me and fixed my menstral cramps that I've had for the last 35yrs so I don't try to understand it. I just enjoy the benefits)!

I found some Magic Mare today. Just put one scoop in a mash to get her started re the taste. Will start loading with 2 tomorrow. Are you supposed to cram as much in as possible or just kinda put them in the scoop without that extra step? I wanted to try the raspberry leaves first. A person who recommended the Moody Mare said she liked that it had valerian root in it but it doesn't. It sounds like that out of most of the ingredients in these products could have negative effects. Do you know what those might be?

Talking I use raspberry leaves for my gelding--

I used mare magic first , but then switched to buying in bulk so much cheaper.

It has helped my gelding so much.
    Supposedly raspberry leaves is high in magnesium.
    Regardless it helps so much.

My horse is typically hot and spooky --- Now he is hot and smart---- watch out Jumper Ring!!!

My mare had been on Regumate when she was showing per my trainer's request. I did not find it to really help. Her symptoms came out in being spooky and irritable even on the Regumate. I bought some Moody Mare and tried it. I had good luck with it for her. She is more even and you can rarely tell when she is in season. I actually buy the herbs in bulk and just mix my own version for a considerable savings. I thought the vervain was ok to use for showing? I actually mix mine with Valerian. We don't show any longer, but I like having a horse that is more level headed and basically the same horse every ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariequi View Post
    I found some Magic Mare today. Just put one scoop in a mash to get her started re the taste. Will start loading with 2 tomorrow. Are you supposed to cram as much in as possible or just kinda put them in the scoop without that extra step?
    I fill up my 1-oz scoop without packing in down - so it's very fluffy. I feed about one scoop fluffed up so it's almost like two scoops leveled off - hope that makes sense!

I used Moody Mare on my horse from the time she was about 6 until 12 or 13. I tried Hilton Herbs first but didn't like it. She didn't have a problem with her cycles, she just seemed to have a problem focusing. The Moody Mare seemed to help her focus and keep her calm. It made her much more rideable. As she got older, I gradually took her off of them and she's been fine. She's 20 now. Don't know anything about the other product so I can't comment.