The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

and a deep-seated saddle on him literally squeezed me out of it in trot and blocked me totally in canter, I couldn' t follow the enormous movement of the horse.
    I think that for someone only riding a couple times a week, there is NOTHING wrong with deep seats and big blocks to help train the body into position.

When I first changed to the Ancient Passier, I felt like I was flopping all over. It took probably almost three months to become really COMPETENT in it. But my position is soooo much stronger now, and more correct.

There's nothing wrong with "help" for the casual rider. It is better to be 'helped' into a correct position than to continue strengthening the wrong muscles in the wrong position...

But Solero's quote is RIGHT ON.

There's also a point where you need to have a little more room to adjust position for different movements when training them.

I didnt know you could get a TC dressage any more. I am MADLY in lust with his jumping saddle. THANK GOD I have no use for it, because I certainly can't afford it. But I have never set my hands on a more beautiful piece of useful art. The leather and workmanship are To Die For, and the balance is impeccable.

One other design element which can very much affect feel is having half or Owen panels rather than full panels. Even on a deeper seat, the effect will be to sit the saddle better on the wide back, and achieve closer contact without 'hollows' behind the front/bottom 'edge' of the panels.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

French monoflaps, such as Butet and Devoucoux have very open flat seats. I have had Devoucoux Makila on a trial for 2 weeks now, and I am in love with it. I have literally tried every possible custom saddle maker available in California, and have not felt better in any saddle.
    I have to mention that my Butet did put me in a chair position, but Devoucoux does not do that, although I did have to go a full size up, but this saddle feels simply amazing.

My first saddle was the Collegiate Jessica (good times). It was pretty flat, but my mom rode in an old Passier Nicole Grand Gilbert (early 90's) and I thought THAT was a FLAT saddle. I thought my old Prestige Grand Dressage was flat too.

i have two that i keep going back and forth on selling because flat saddles can be hard to find. i spent most of my life doing h/j and like flat seats and little to no blocks.

i have a ctd le parcours (this was stubben's 2nd/cheaper line, i think) and a max hopfner ahlerich.

right now i ride in a wintec 500 and found it a happy medium of not too deep and removable blocks.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

What about the Amerigo Close Contact Dressage saddle. I have not had a chance to try it on one of my horses yet but it felt amazing sitting on it in the store.

Let's not forget the Frank Baines Capriole. Very well balanced in addition to flat.