The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions for my mare?

She is a 13 year old, 15.2 hand, TB mare who I have been eventing for almost 2 years. She is a very athletic jumper and a reasonably nice mover. She is base narrow in the front and tight-rope walks when ridden. She can be marish and at times a sensitive and unforgiving ride which gives the rider little margin for error. She is very sound and has good TB feet.

I'd like the baby to gain height, better movement, steady temperment, and a better front end.

Any suggestions?

Here are some pictures of her (sorry I don't have any better confo shots!).

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...ember08077.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/DSC_1302.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...n/DSC_1243.jpg

PS. I love Herzensdieb for my mare but I'm worried that the two of them might produce a bit of a handful temperment-wise!

Just something to think about....

Would you be happy if the foal turned out to be a carbon copy of your mare - in every way?
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co

Default Ironman is a great match

You can never go wrong with Ironman...he's the sweetest stud I've ever met and passes it on. He's got great movement and many of his children will dable in hunters before moving on up because they are conformationally correct and their movement is to die for. He also has children in dressage and eventing. He has a great head and neck set and passes that on as well. Many of his offspring's owners are ammy's and have no problem in breaking them out (with a little help). I have the privilege of seeing many get broke where I'm at and in many cases they will w/t around the ring within the first days of being undersaddle. See ironmanonline.com for more info.
    Noteworthy: worthy of notice or attention; notable; remarkable. —Synonyms: distinguished, outstanding, significant. AKA Ike (aka Hurricane Mike).

Quote Originally Posted by Waterwitch View Post
    Just something to think about....

Would you be happy if the foal turned out to be a carbon copy of your mare - in every way?
    Yes, I wouldn't mind. She can be difficult but she is amazing. My UL event trainer said that it was a shame I didn't get her as a 3 or 4 year old and has always encouraged me to breed her. I do want a colt though!

Have you looked at Cabalito? He stands at Marsh Pond Farm now I believe.

I have a 2 year old filly by him (out of an opinionated ammy hunter mare). She has the BEST temperment. He improved on the mare's size and movement as well. Love, Love, Love Cabalito!
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

I think there are plenty of stallion choices out there, but I would select from whatever breed registry your mare gets into. If you are going to breed to a warmblood, I think you want registry papers on the foal, not some birth certificate. I appreciate that you can't ride papers, but having them can make a difference in a sale. Even if you don't think you are going to sell the foal, always keep that possibility in mind.

So research the registries. Most take JC papered TB. If you don't have the JC papers, there still are some that may accept your mare. Some folks breed to an registry stallion and go to an evaluation that same year. Others wait for the foal to be born and bring both. Personally, I prefer to bring the mare open and get the comments from the evaluators. But whatever the case, begin with the end in mind....a foal with registration papers.

Quote Originally Posted by mcorbett View Post
    Yes, I wouldn't mind. She can be difficult but she is amazing. My UL event trainer said that it was a shame I didn't get her as a 3 or 4 year old and has always encouraged me to breed her. I do want a colt though!
    Ok good! Then you might consider one of the Irish stallions - most will tone down sensitivity, there are several with very good fronts (assuming you mean necks set in higher with nice shoulders) and a handful with bigger, more expressive movement.

One horse you might want to look at is Rhyd's Sea Quest. He tends to throw taller, he has a great front, and moves and jumps well. There are several nice youngsters by him starting their eventing careers here locally. Last time I heard he was standing this season at Equine Reproductive Concepts in Virginia.

I also second Brandenburg's Windstar, and would normally suggest him for an upper level prospect out of a TB mare, but some of his youngsters can be a bit sensitive (though ENORMOUSLY talented!). Not sure what the combo would be like with a very VERY sensitive mare.
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co

Quote Originally Posted by Waterwitch View Post
    I also second Brandenburg's Windstar, and would normally suggest him for an upper level prospect out of a TB mare, but some of his youngsters can be a bit sensitive (though ENORMOUSLY talented!). Not sure what the combo would be like with a very VERY sensitive mare.
    I would never send a sensitive mare to Bounce. He is a lovely stallion, but the offspring I've personally known have been pro rides. I would put him in the same category as Riverman. They are athletic, beautiful horses, but tend to throw sensitive and often "hot".

I'm a huge Silvio fan. He throws looks, movement, and brains. He stands in Middleburg, VA and it is worth the trip to see him in person. In the barn, you would never know he's a stallion and his babies have THE BEST DISPOSITIONS you could ever ask for. My filly from two years ago was second out of 9 at Upperville and my colt from last year is doing very well on the line this year. He is currently being prepped for Devon. The dam of the filly is a little short in the neck and I'm not thrilled at where the neck ties in to the shoulder. I wish it were a little higher. The mare also toes in just a hint and is tight through the shoulder. Silvio really stamps his neck, legs, and strong hind-end. The filly's legs are picture perfect and she came out with a huge stride. The dam of the colt has a plain head and her back is a little longer than I care for. Silvio prettied up the head and shortened the back.

The first two pictures are of the filly. The second two are of the colt. The last picture is of Silvio.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScandalousStandRightUpperville07.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	24634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScandalousFreeJump.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	24635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PreacherStandLeftSSFPerfect.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	24636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PreacherRibbonMarch26th09.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	24637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SilvioDevonBlueRibbon.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	24638  

Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

If you are not set on a WB, look at the Lusitano stallion Lusiadas (www.baroquefarmsusa.com/lusiadas.html). He is a lovely mover, amazing jumper, and has a wonderful personality. I have a yearling filly by him and out of my very sensitive mare, and I just adore my filly. She has more of his movement than her dam's, and is much more rational than her dam as well.

Any of his foals can be registered as half-Lusitano thru IALHA.

Have you considered a Connemara? They're hardy, have a lot of bone, and most are broader than you'd think. They could also help in the temperment department as most are fairly quiet and laid back.

There are several nice stallions standing that are just over pony height, so you could still get a small horse sized foal. Aladdin's Denver is 15.1 and throws height on most mares. I bred a 15.3 hd TB to him and I think the foal is going to make 16hd+. He evented through Preliminary. My number one suggestion would be *ArdCeltic Art. He's about 15.1 hds and was just approved with the ISR/Oldenburg NA Sport Pony Division. He won the Training Amatuer Division at AECs last year, and is now running Prelim. You can see him here: www.hiddencreekhorses.com . His first foal was born a few weeks ago (o/o a TB mare) and she's lovely! A very big filly.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

I am assuming that the OP is wanting an eventer .

I know that when my friends that event talk about hot/sensitive it is a VERY VERY different meaning/horse then what I look for in a hunter.... they need a much different horse. I would look for a stallion that has get out there doing the job, that are brave enough, talented enough, yet still manageable for you to handle.

I have to vote for Albarez. He's got the looks temperment, scope, movement, and great bloodlines to boot. His owner are super nice to deal with too.

Check him out at..

http://www.royalcstud.com/Albarez.htm

He's done hunters and is now starting his jumper career. They have a new video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWmbUeIPscA of him that is just awesome too.

My filly is just gorgeous by him too.

One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

Take a look at Navarone (Jus de Pomme - Armstrong). He has been crossing very well with the TBs and the eventers are liking them. Best temperament you can find and passes it to the foals. He is starting GP dressage this year and also jumps phenomenal. The Dutch don't have you inspect your mare so you will automatically get papers Register A, which is all the same as foalbook foals and the offspring can move to the studbook at 3 years old or older just like a foalbook foal.

Kathy
    www.majesticgaits.com
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Have a look at our stallion Pacific. www.osjs.com
    He himself is young and has just started competing, he is competing in dressage and in the jumper ring and will be in a couple of 3 day events this year as well. The eventers are loving him. His offspring are all turning out easy to manage and athletic and he seems to be stamping them all with his conformation.