The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What to Wear to an interview at an H/J Barn - UPDATE - Job Offered

**See Last post on Page 3**

I realize I may already know the answer to this question, but I thought I'd ask just the same.

I have an interview tomorrow for a local H/J barn and wish to present a good first impression.

I figure a clean pair of jeans, clean boots, and a nice long sleeve shirt (not necessarily a blouse) would be sufficent.

I don't have a resume geared to my equine experience, but should I sit down and create one just in case? And references have been requested, is it prudent to offer that of my current BO and perhaps a RH I've previously worked with?

I've been at this Job Hunting thing now going on 3 weeks with very little luck. (I began looking really back in March when my Mgr informed me of my impending lay off.) So, I'm desperate for any type of gainful employment in order to feed my brood (2 horses and 4 dogs).

Thanks again for the help.

~Kerri
    Last edited by VAHorseGurl; Apr. 10, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Clean jeans, boots, and a nice long sleeved shirt would be fine (think polo or button down). If the job involves riding of any sort, I would have some riding gear along with you -- but don't come dressed to ride.

I personally would put together a resume of your equine-related experience to either bring with you or fax/email over ahead of time.

Your references sound fine, but don't forget to ask your references if it is all right to use them. You should ask them before giving out their name and number as your references. Preferably, your references are someone you've worked for in the same capacity or someone who is knowledgeable about your skills in this particular area.

Most importantly - GOOD LUCK!

I would go slightly more "dressy" than what you mentioned.

Chinos, collared shirt (long sleeve polo, perhaps) and clean and polished paddocks or Danksos. A tailored vest or zip-up jacket, weather depending.

I would dress like I was showing a jumper on the unrated day of a rated horse show.

But I'd wear chinos rather than jeans, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I would definitely make up an equine resume. It is an important item to have at your fingertips. Include references and phone numbers, if possible.

I think clean jeans, clean boots, belt, and a polo is classic and you can't go wrong. I've worn this to interviews before.

What are you being interviewed for? A management position? Groom? Rider?
    If you are going for a management position I think ExJumper's suggestion of chinos is a smart move.

I don't have any advice to add, but I did want to wish you luck!!

I work for a big farm and do a lot of the steps up to hiring new employees- ie field phone calls, get resumes, check references, etc.

Jeans, polo and clean paddock boots are the perfect uniform and it is pretty much how the majority come dressed. Definitely do a professional looking resume, it makes a huge difference. Also, make sure you tell your references that you are using them as a reference. I hate calling someone when they have no idea what I'm talking about when I check references.

For the interview itself, make sure you have read up on the place you're going to interview at- believe me, we can tell if you know what we're all about. Ask questions- think of some ahead and have them planned out.

If you want, feel free to PM me and I can go over some more hints
    I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
    If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

Thank you both for the tips.

Chinos do sound more appropriate, thank you for that ExJ. I don't have a long sleeve Polo or a button down, what do you suggest then? I'm a rather large busty woman and neither of those shirts are flattering on me.

As for my references, I assure you I'd never dream of using them without prior permission, I have a call into both currently and am awaiting a response.

As for the resume, I couldn't begin to remember the name of the few barns I've held PT positions at over the course of the last 15yrs (while horseless). How do I work this resume thing with that fact?

The last barn I worked PT at is long since dyfunct and I can't being to remember the name of the lady who ran the place. I worked PT at a Dressage barn in Ansbach, Germany, but that was back in 1990.

If anyone has a resume I could use as a follow along example, that would be much appreciated!
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

Quote Originally Posted by VAHorseGurl View Post
    I don't have a long sleeve Polo or a button down, what do you suggest then? I'm a rather large busty woman and neither of those shirts are flattering on me.
    Hmm... I just think you need something one step above "nice t-shirt."

Do you have a nice preppie-ish tailored vest? I'm not sure what the weather is like in VA right now, but would a sweater be too warm? Then you could just run to Target and get a polo, or to NY&C and get a button-down and it won't matter whats going on under the vest/sweater, but you'll still have the class of a collar up top. As long as the chesticles are covered you won't see any gapping or anything unflattering.

I'll admit that I have button down shirts that I can only wear UNDER other layers because I'm busting out of them...

A nice non-collared shirt would probably be okay -- it would just depend on the shirt.

Or a turtleneck sweater? Again, depends on the weather...
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by VAHorseGurl View Post
    Thank you both for the tips.

Chinos do sound more appropriate, thank you for that ExJ. I don't have a long sleeve Polo or a button down, what do you suggest then? I'm a rather large busty woman and neither of those shirts are flattering on me.
    How about a nice sweater then?

Can I just add:
    Turn you cell phone off before you even get out of the car.

That's one way to ruin a first impression, IMO.

Good Luck!

As for the resume, what you can do if you weren't an official employee (like, they weren't taking taxes out and all that) is just list that time as being freelance whatever. That's what I do for spaces on my resume where I worked at several barns at once--it would take too much space to write the barn names anyway.

I don't know if the really good resume people think that's a good idea or not, but I've been able to get some pretty awesome jobs with that resume so it can't be too bad.

I second the chinos.

Don't forget to send a hand-written thank you note after the interview!

So I have a question...

if the person applying has a well rounded equestrian back ground would you expect them to include that in the suggest resume or just stick to the relavent H/J background.

I personally feel that if someone is an excellent rider and is well rounded the better, just curious what others think about including all of that....

Quote Originally Posted by nlk View Post
    So I have a question...

if the person applying has a well rounded equestrian back ground would you expect them to include that in the suggest resume or just stick to the relavent H/J background.

I personally feel that if someone is an excellent rider and is well rounded the better, just curious what others think about including all of that....
    I'd say put it in, but remember you run the risk of tarring yourself with any negative stereotypes surrounding the breed or discipline. Be proud of where you've been and what you've done, but be flexible and willing to learn to perform to the new barn's standards. (and if that phrase works for you, use it!)

To the OP, if the barn is now defunct that doesn't mean that your future employer hasn't heard of it/know about it/know someone. Even if it was across the country. When I started re-riding my instructor interviewed me regarding my previous experience and lo and behold she had been acquainted with my instructor, knew the old barn, like that. My employer wants to see ten years' employment history with no gaps - so if I sat there unemployed I wrote it down. As "working in family owned business" of course, because my DH never was one to let a set of hands be idle if there was work to be done around the place.
    Good luck with the interview!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

From the bottom up...
    Polished paddock boots
    Khaki or olive chinos
    Button down shirt or long sleeve polo...(wear a sports bra, so there is no movement, and when interviewing with another woman, especially, compression is your friend)
    A fabric or fleece vest zipped up.
    Hair (if long) contained in a neat ponytail, or something workmanlike.
    Simple, small earrings, if you wear earrings...and just one pair
    Simple conservative makeup, like you' wear for a hunter class if you wear makeup.

Don't wear your cell phone. At all. No bangle bracelets...just a watch. Clean fingernails...
    Sounds like you have the idea already. Good luck to you!

Default Hay

I just want to add to the dress as everyone noted here. We interview and hire a lot of teenagers for jobs here. (I don't know your age group but...)

A big turn off as a potential employer is anything skin tight or any hint of cleavage or bellies. Leave that for outings with friends but not for a job.

I know you know this and all the above advice is terrific but again, keep away from skin tight, cleavage of any sort and exposed bellies or hips.

And if you get the job, still keep away from the above. It's just unprofessional in a work setting to me anyway...

Good luck!

PS: I'm so surprised at my local bank. The tellers show so much cleavage that I sometimes check where I am...bank or strip club.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Red face

Okay, I flipped out a little bit this morning. After spending time going through my closet and the local Sears and Pebbles, I have NO long sleeve Polos, or I didn't have this morning.

So, I headed into Warrenton this morning and knew Horse Country would have what I needed and yet, surprisingly, they didn't have anything in the women's section that would fit me.

So, I ended up with an all white, long sleeve, very expensive Polo shirt by 3XDRY (at least that is what the tag says). I am planning to wear my now cleaned Ariat Paddock boots and my clean, no tatters, jeans that fit me well, no bulging or appearing to be too tight.

I am working on creating a resume, not that I have any names except for the very first barn I worked and owned my first 2 horses at, back in the middle 1980's. But I'm working hard on it and will stop by Staples to print it out and I'm doing a bit of research on the barn it's self. THANK YOU for that tip and I plan to turn my cell phone off before I even get out of the car.

I realized something this morning, I was not prepared to work in a Show barn and still not sure if I am prepared. I'm a large woman, with a large bust and for living smack dab in the middle of Horse County, it is seemingly impossible to find something that fits me and flatters me and not reveal my bulges.

THANK YOU every one for the tips and suggestions, I really appreciate it and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning. **fingers crossed**

~Kerri
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

Have you been told whether or not you'll be expected to ride as part of the assessment process?

Personally speaking, I think definitely NOT jeans. Smart slacks and flat clean jodphur boots are ideal. With a shirt and sweater or quilted tabard vest.

I'd also say you should always put your jods and riding hat and boots etc in the car in case they want you to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach Two View Post
    From the bottom up...
    Polished paddock boots *cleaned my Ariat paddock boots this morning*
    Khaki or olive chinos *went with clean, nice fitting jeans*
    Button down shirt or long sleeve polo...(wear a sports bra, so there is no movement, and when interviewing with another woman, especially, compression is your friend) *went with a long sleeve white polo, so no sports bra (it's blue), but I totally understand about compression*
    A fabric or fleece vest zipped up. *very large busty women, a vest does not look appropriate nor does it fit well.*
    Hair (if long) contained in a neat ponytail, or something workmanlike. *long hare is neatly put up in a spiral braid.*
    Simple, small earrings, if you wear earrings...and just one pair *just removed my large silver balls and replaced with a smaller pair of cz's.*
    Simple conservative makeup, like you' wear for a hunter class if you wear makeup. *don't wear makeup.*

Don't wear your cell phone. At all. No bangle bracelets...just a watch. Clean fingernails... *watch is on the fritz, so I won't be wearing that, I don't wear bracelets I have man wrists , and I keep my nails cut short and clean all the time. *
    Sounds like you have the idea already. Good luck to you!
    For the ones who wasn't sure of my age, I'm 37 and have been in the Customer Svc, Administrative field now for 15+yrs, so my appearance is always neat and never overly revealing, I agree that that is tasteless.

I'm a large woman, standing at 5'9" and weighing in at 200lbs. with a very large chest, so that is where I have a problem finding flattering clothing that fits me properly.

So, from all the advice given, I do believe my current appearance is suitable regardless of chosing not to wear chinos. *fingers crossed*

Again, THANK YOU every one!!
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Have you been told whether or not you'll be expected to ride as part of the assessment process?

Personally speaking, I think definitely NOT jeans. Smart slacks and flat clean jodphur boots are ideal. With a shirt and sweater or quilted tabard vest.

I'd also say you should always put your jods and riding hat and boots etc in the car in case they want you to ride.

Thomas,

I am not expected to ride. It's a miniual barn job; mucking, turning in/out, feeding, etc.

And I'm sorry, I do not have jods or a riding hat as I've not ridden English in nearly 15yrs. And I didn't apply for a 'riding' job with this barn.

I'm pretty sure that my current attire is sufficent, being unemployed with 6 animals to feed and not having a lot of spare money laying about, I simply cannot afford to invest in an entire new outfit for a barn job. Purchasing a $103 polo was painful enough and budget stretching to the limit.

I realize that is not the attitude to have at the moment, but should I happen to be blessed with this position, I will surely give them 110% effort in all that is asked of me, I'll be on time and cleanly dressed for a good day of hard work. Also, I will not be ceasing my search for a full time Administrative position within the Government sector, that is what I am used to doing.

Again, thank you Thomas, I do appreciate your input.

~Kerri
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the