The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My horse is allergic to himself

or to his own sweat it seems. He breaks out in hives every time he sweats. Doesn't matter if he has just had a a bath or hasn't had one in months. Any thoughts out there?

Maybe a low level of steroid when he is going to sweat? Ask your vet.

My friend had a horse that was allergic to everything, including his own sweat. She just kept him clean, cool and always covered. She didn't give him any medication, but he was retired so keeping him from sweating wasn't too hard.

When my horse was having a lot of trouble with his allergies, he would also break out in hives more frequently when he sweated. It wasn't that he was actually allergic to his own sweat but that the increased blood flow to the skin surface caused him to be even more sensitive than usual. Rinsing him with cold water when he was sweaty helped him tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by equusus View Post
    Maybe a low level of steroid when he is going to sweat? Ask your vet.

My friend had a horse that was allergic to everything, including his own sweat. She just kept him clean, cool and always covered. She didn't give him any medication, but he was retired so keeping him from sweating wasn't too hard.
    Well, I guess that precludes me from ever riding the beast.....

Even in the pasture this week he's be sweating (and getting hives....)

Quote Originally Posted by Montanas_Girl View Post
    When my horse was having a lot of trouble with his allergies, he would also break out in hives more frequently when he sweated. It wasn't that he was actually allergic to his own sweat but that the increased blood flow to the skin surface caused him to be even more sensitive than usual. Rinsing him with cold water when he was sweaty helped him tremendously.
    yeah, that's what I do (except in the winter when rinsing with cold water isn't such a good thing to do...)

How did you solve your allergy problem? Was is food or environment?

THis guy doesn't seem to matter what I feed him...

Perhaps allergy testing and allergy shots would be helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Perhaps allergy testing and allergy shots would be helpful?
    Thanks, it's on the list of plans, but nobody around here does it. I'll have to make arrangements for him to travel. Just looking for others with this experience.

Also, I've heard lots of conflicting info on testing and shots. Any experiences out there for severely afflicted ponies?

Default have had good experience with testing & shots

I have two mares with various allergies and have had good experience getting them tested and giving them desensitization shots.

There are some antihistamine meds out there that you may try - I think the effect varies by horse so you'd want to consult with the vet your approach.

In our area the horses often have multiple allergies - if you can reduce the load on one (e.g. tree pollen) it may help to reduce the overall sensitivity of the horse to all, with less severe or less frequent symptoms
    Forward...go forward

I'm sensitivity to a lot of mosquito bites and spend most of the summer covered in welts of various sizes. When I'm cold they are invisible but if I get hot or sweaty they come back, sometimes bites that are 3 or 4 weeks old will swell up into huge welts again, like I was just bitten. And they itch like crazy every time they swell up- I hate mosquitoes! Cold water, ice or cooling off makes them go away again.

My doctor (who is a close friend) told me that was impossible then saw it happen a few times and told me to try cortisone cream. It doesn't work any better than cold water so I just stick with that.

Anyway my vote is for something that is causing a local reaction but his body can handle it until he gets hot at which point the swelling and itching comes back.

We have a dressage rider at the barn with a horse like this. They work together throughout the year and show in the spring/summer/fall as well. Rinsing with cold water, keeping him cool and adding falx into the diet have all helped. When the itching goes beyond that in the sweltering heat, she gets him a steroid shot and that does the trick.

It may not be the sweat so much as the heat, this is not horse related but I personally have serious problems with hives and the heat and being hot makes it a lot easier to react to things that usually would not give you hives. Then once your body starts reacting it starts overreacting to EVERYTHING. You need to try to stop the cycle, my horse is also prone to hives, and a shot of dex helps him the most.

Have you considered trying spirulina? It might just help and be careful with vaccinations in the future. Do not use 3, 4 or 5 ways and space them apart. I would also avoid Fort Dodge vaccines.

There's research data that suggests that vaccinations can trigger allergies! http://www.curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=1379911

I would do some extra research and be very, very careful about allergy shots. A friend's horse foundered from them.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny59 View Post
    How did you solve your allergy problem? Was is food or environment?
    We opted for serum allergy testing with my guy. It's not as accurate as skin testing, but it was cheaper and more available for us at the time. He tested positive for 23 allergens, including corn, oats, molasses, most grasses, and several other pollens and insects. We changed his diet as best we could. That seemed to ramp down his inflammatory response enough for him to deal with the other allergens. I'm still very careful about what products I use on his skin, but he hasn't had a serious case of hives in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    I would do some extra research and be very, very careful about allergy shots. A friend's horse foundered from them.
    I doubt that very much.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    Have you considered trying spirulina? It might just help and be careful with vaccinations in the future. Do not use 3, 4 or 5 ways and space them apart. I would also avoid Fort Dodge vaccines.

There's research data that suggests that vaccinations can trigger allergies! http://www.curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=1379911
    That's a bit of a leap. Yes, it's well known (certainly not the secret that your blog site claims) that foreign proteins can cause an immune response. It's also well known that it is often the carriers in the vaccine that cause these problems. But the leap to vaccines causing food allergies or general allergies?......bad site, poorly presented.....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

OP, you can search on the forums about Spirulina. I bought 2 #s of it to feed to my (respiratory) allergy pony....it has done NOTHING to help him....but it sounds like it's better for skin type allergies.

My horse won't eat it, it's gross, and I have about a pound left of it if you want me to send you some!!!!! If you pick up shipping I'd be happy to send you the rest free of charge!
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

THanks all, I think I'll try some spirulina. I bet he doesn't eat eat! Right now he's on an elimination diet.... Too cold for cold hosing....

Probably will get tested and shots....