The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Banamine Injectable-given orally for colic-anyone try it?

A vet told me I could give Banamine Injectable solution to my horse orally if he colics. She said to give 11cc (based on his body weight).

Has anyone tried this before? I have always given Banamine paste. But the injectable is so much cheaper! I thought it would be a better way to go.

BTW, I only know how to give an IM shot, not IV, so I think that's why the vet suggested to give it orally.
    Love your horse like it's the last time you'll see him

I have given the liquid banamine orally for other reasons (not colic), but I think my thought on the cost was the same -- the liquid was cheaper when giving several doses over time. It tastes REALLY bad. Like you may never get a 2nd chance once they taste it the first time. I remember mixing it with peppermint oil to mask it a bit, but my horse still hated me for it. I didn't bother again and just got the paste as the hassle wasn't worth it. But my horse is pretty particular, so maybe not all would hate it so much (although I tasted a little and it was NASTY!).

Yes,
    I have given banamine injectable by mouth with the same results as IM, it takes about the same amount of time to be effective (20 to 30 min). The IM banamine shots can cause problems in themselves so I have opted for the "by mouth" method. Actually medicines get quite quickly absorbed by mouth, especially if given under the tongue.

Did you guys give 11cc for a 1200 lb horse?
    Love your horse like it's the last time you'll see him

Yes, I've done it. It works. My picky princess mare didn't have a problem with the taste.

I only use it in this way if I'm giving a course of banamine over several days and don't want to repeatedly do an IV stick.

I've done it. It tasted nasty, so the pony spit half of it out. It did stop the colic.

yes, thank G-d! though I can give im and iv shots, it makes my hands tremble and the longer I'm out of practice the harder it is for me to summon my resolve, I have an extreme aversion to needles.

when my horse coliced, vet says give 10cc im... I asked meekly if orally with the injectable would work and she said it works just fine and sometimes faster... so I just drew the liquid, popped the needle off the syringe and shot it in his mouth... I sort of wiped it down his tongue hoping the membranes would absorb it quickly.

35 minutes and he was farting again. It might've tasted awful, but horsie had other things on his mind and really didn't put up a fuss.

I've only ever given it IM so I can't answer that question but the dosage, per my vet, is 1 cc per 100 pounds.

I've given it orally quite a few times. I have a stallion that weighs about 1200 lbs. and I still give him only 10cc's (he hates injections and I don't always have my husband to hold a twitch on him for me so he gets it orally). It definitely takes pretty much the same length of time as giving it IM to take effect.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Smile

The dosage would be the same.

And even after all these years and all those injections, I still have concerns about i.m. Banamine. I have seen one or two infections, not my horses, but still I worry. And while I can do i.v., I'd druther not.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    It tastes REALLY bad. Like you may never get a 2nd chance once they taste it the first time. I remember mixing it with peppermint oil to mask it a bit, but my horse still hated me for it.
    Judging from our horse's reaction whenever I need to give Banamine orally, I think it smells as bad as it tastes so I fill the syringe and then dip the end in some honey and pull up just a bit into the end. It hides the smell and makes it taste better and is the only way he will take it.

Use this with ace too and haven't gotten any complaints from the peanut gallery.

It tastes REALLY bad. Like you may never get a 2nd chance once they taste it the first time.
    My horse might disagree with you on this one! I think he actually likes it! But then again I personally think my boy is a drug addict.

I used to give Banamine IM for gas colic issues until I read on COTH about the abscesses that it can cause so I started giving it orally. I mentioned doing it to my vet and heard her later laughing about it. For this plus additional reasons, she's no longer my vet.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I've been giving the injectable liquid banamine orally for years, and it works fine, and yes, the horses make faces at me, but I still don't have trouble if I have to dose them after that.

While my vet is coming out next week for the horses spring tune-ups so to say and I'll ask her then, but how much time should elapse between giving Banamine the 2nd time for gas colic issues? (Wow, talk about a run on sentence!!!)

A couple of times I've had to vet out because the first dosing of Banamine didn't get my boy over his issues and I know I'm not supposed to give it again for a while, but I was wondering if any vets see this, what the time line is between Banamine doses (orally). Or even if it's recommended. I can actually imagine that the vets might prefer that I didn't do a 2nd dose as it might be more than just gas colic.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I never would have thought to give it orally, but I did have a friend who used to fill gelcaps and take it herself. So I guess it does work. She also commented that it tasted horrible.

Nice to know since I have one gelding who HATES IV injections.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    While my vet is coming out next week for the horses spring tune-ups so to say and I'll ask her then, but how much time should elapse between giving Banamine the 2nd time for gas colic issues? (Wow, talk about a run on sentence!!!)

A couple of times I've had to vet out because the first dosing of Banamine didn't get my boy over his issues and I know I'm not supposed to give it again for a while, but I was wondering if any vets see this, what the time line is between Banamine doses (orally). Or even if it's recommended. I can actually imagine that the vets might prefer that I didn't do a 2nd dose as it might be more than just gas colic.
    \
    I very seldom administer a second injection (or oral) to a colicky horse. One of my few exceptions to that was a couple of chronic colickers that I've had over the years when I knew what their problem was. But while Banamine is a good cure for the common gassy-type belly ache, it will do nothing for impaction. I normally go ahead and call my vet out just to be on the safe side when the first one doesn't get the job done. As for time lapse between times, you should normally give Banamine no more than twice a day (12 hours) for relief from colics.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Yes you can give it orally. My vet clinic, Edisto Equine, has said OK to use it orally and it works. Especially for horses who are afraid of the needle.
    10cc for a big 16.2 portly wb.

You can buy the tubes of paste, but it's easier to use the liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    \
    I very seldom administer a second injection (or oral) to a colicky horse. One of my few exceptions to that was a couple of chronic colickers that I've had over the years when I knew what their problem was. But while Banamine is a good cure for the common gassy-type belly ache, it will do nothing for impaction. I normally go ahead and call my vet out just to be on the safe side when the first one doesn't get the job done. As for time lapse between times, you should normally give Banamine no more than twice a day (12 hours) for relief from colics.

Susan, thanks for the input. So far, knock on wood, all my guy gets is gas colic. There are times that I will hear him passing gas and it sounds like someone is letting air out of a tire! I just finished picking stalls and giving more hay and he dropped a 'load' and passed enough gas to heat my house. Well OK, not quite but probably enough to fill a bicycle tire!

As long as he keeps passing it, I'm happy but since May 2008 he's had 8 episodes of gas discomfort. With the exception of one, I was able to catch it and he was OK after his Banamine drench and 25-40 minutes on the lunge line at a walk and jog. I keep telling him NOT to do that cause he misses a meal and only gets hay. The other time I did have to call the vet out because he kept showing his discomfort after the initial Banamine dose and lunging. I had thought he was fine and went for dinner. I didn't hear anything on the intercom so I figured he was fine (he always paws to let me know ) and when I went out about 1.5 hrs later he was still curling his lip and looking at his sides. That's when I called the vet.
    Sue

I had always given it IM (before I knew the risks) or IV, but once I was at a friend's barn, she had a colicing horse and injectable banamine but only a really dull, dirty needle that we didn't want to stick the horse with. I remembered reading about giving it orally, so we gave it a try and it worked very well.

I almost always give it orally now as I don't have to give IV shots often (like, once every couple of years it seems) so I don't feel as comfortable giving them. It works just fine and I think it's easier to get in them than paste, you just have to be quick.

It tastes REALLY bad. Like you may never get a 2nd chance once they taste it the first time.
    Yup, that's what my vet said I give it IV or IM if needed.