The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse hangs head down, stuck? Update pg.2

So I have asked vet and will call again tomorrow. A few years back, my horse was being ridden and went to scratch his nose. He could not bring his head back up. AFter about 5 minutes, he was fine. Skip ahead to maybe 6 weeks ago and it has happened maybe 4 times. I have found him with his head held real low. He doesn't seem upset by it. I don't necessarily get the feeling that his neck is stuck, but something else is going on. Today the girl working said he did it and seemed non-responsive? What the hell could this be?
    Last edited by shea'smom; Apr. 29, 2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Update

I dont know awhole lot about it, but I know of a horse with espm(sp??) who have episodes of a trance like lathargic state.

Thanks. I will look into everything. WE looked at him for neurological signs about 2 weeks ago and thought he might have some. He has a couple injuries in his past and we weren't sure if that was what we were seeing.
    I am getting scared.

Stroke? A friend of mine had a horse get loose one day out with my own horses. Her horse was a standardbred and mine were Arabs. Once caught (after over an hour loose) the Arabs cooled down in 15 minutes. I walked that standardbred for over 45 minutes trying to cool him down and get his pulse rate down. And he was pretty darn non responsive at the time. Talked to a vet about it and heat stroke was suspected. After that, this horse would literally stop in the middle of eating and stare into space for 10 minutes. And certainly, this was not typical behavior for him. He seemed to be ok once he snapped out of it, but he did that for years after that episode. He'd just go into a trance in the middle of his day and not much you could do could get him out of it. His head wasn't hung low or anything, it was the whole zoning out/unresponsive thing I was relating to.

WEll, I have owned him his whole life and he has never had heat stroke. He was hit in the head by a car about two years ago. He had stitches, but it honestly never seemed to bother him. My chiropractor thinks he could have a catch in his neck. But I would think if that was the case, he would appear worried when this happens.
    Also, he is ridden about 4 days a week and is actually doing quite well with his low level dressage.
    I was gone today and the worker just emailed me about this episode about an hour ago and now I am freaking out but don't want to call vet this late.

Well, he could have had a stroke anyway (unrelated to heat). I have no clue, as that standardbred was the first stroke I'd ever dealt with in a horse (not confirmed but suspected by vet). Hope you find out what's wrong with him.

Wanted to add, I myself had a stroke at the age of 22 and can attest to non-responsive zoning out moments.

I will definetly ask about a regular stroke.
    Dang, I am going to quite reading on the web, freaking out.

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    I will definetly ask about a regular stroke.
    Dang, I am going to quite reading on the web, freaking out.
    Seriously, COTH has made me so paranoid I forget to enjoy my horses Laughing but not joking.

It may not be as big of a deal as you think it is. I don't know, I'd have to see how unresponsive he was. It scared me the first time I saw that horse zone out. I pulled back his lips to check his gums and he was biting down on his tongue, still had a mouth full of food, and just literally nothing was there behind his eyes. It would last for several minutes and then he would start chewing and looking at you like 'What?'

He seemed fine under saddle. The episodes I witnessed were in the pasture eating his dinner or eating grass.

Sending some cyber hugs your way. Very interested though to hear if the vet finds anything so please keep us updated.

What about neck arthritis?

the chiropractor thinks that could be it. She keeps saying, remember he was hit by a CAR. I just emailed her.
    I am supposed to go to frigging Disneyworld next week. I've had two choke in two days and this and a cat attacked by one of my own dogs.
    I need chocolate and I need it now.

Sorry I can't give you any suggestions, but definitely sending some jingles your way it's nothing too serious.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Sorry I can't give you any suggestions, but definitely sending some jingles your way it's nothing too serious.
    Ditto this!

ETA- I wonder if it's not is neck, but something in his back? Nerve getting pinched maybe? Hope you find the asnwer.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Thanks. Chiropractor coming tuesday while I am out of town. She answered my email by7:30 this am, loff her, Sue Chandler out of Charlotte.
    VEt call next.
    thanks for the good wishes.

Arthritis seems like a reasonable guess to me. Truthfully, I'd rather have a vet look at it before a chiropractor (unless your chiro is also a vet). Arthritis (in the spine for example) can pinch a nerve and cause pain or a loss of feeling--I had an older dog several years ago who became somewhat ataxic and it was traced to arthritis in the spine.

I'd keep a log of when and under what conditions this seems to happen. Is it after the horse has been working for a while or at the beginning of the ride? Does it happen when the horse is hanging out in turnout or in the stall? Does bute have any effect? Etc.

Good luck.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Good idea, Posting Trot.
    It happens in the stall or field. like maybe putting his head down to eat triggers it.
    Funny, he is going really well under saddle. Can't figure it out.

He was hit in the head by a car about two years ago. He had stitches, but it honestly never seemed to bother him.
    He was hit in the head??

I wonder if there is something neuro going on. Especially given that you KNOW he had trauma to the head....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

the chiropractor thinks that could be it. She keeps saying, remember he was hit by a CAR. I just emailed her.
    I am supposed to go to frigging Disneyworld next week. I've had two choke in two days and this and a cat attacked by one of my own dogs.
    I need chocolate and I need it now.
    UGH...sending jingles that things improve and you can get a vacation. I KNOW how much a few days to chill out can really help!

Its called Ventroflexion, and is more common in horses than other animals. Have you had an ultrasound done on the nucal ligament?

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Its called Ventroflexion, and is more common in horses than other animals. Have you had an ultrasound done on the nucal ligament?
    Ditto this. When jet tried to pull his head back from between a pipe rail fence to avoid being kicked, he strained his nuchal ligament, and couldn't raise his head for about 2 weeks. (He'd try after the first few days but it would hurt too much to lift it so he'd just swing it up, then down.) He eventually recovered completely.