The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bowler Hats are not fashionable?

Hey y'all - just read in my new Dressage Today that Bowler Hats are no longer considered fashionable and Judges prefer Top Hats instead. I'm talking about 4th level and below. Would you agree? I was just thinking about buying a new Bowler Hat for this show season and now I don't know if I should.
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Who cares if a bowler is popular or not, get what you like. I think the shortie top hats make people look like Eliza Doolittle, and I'll die before I willingly wear one.

I wear a top hat and I am not a huge fan of the bowlers. However, just a personal observation, they definately look better on some than others. I think you have to have a certain shape head to look good in one.

Personally, I think the bowlers are not so flattering, haha. How do y'all feel about top hats at 4th level and below? I know some people say that you should only wear them with a short coat if you've shown at the upper levels or are a pro or whatever. What do y'all think about that? Haha, slc, I love the top hats = ) I just find them more flattering than the bowlers.

please do not buy into the "judges don't like" crap

wear what you have / like within the rules

When dark navy coats started showing up I had one judge getting all interested in " is that black of navy" every ride

either she was colorblind or a bit too preoccupied with the wrong thing

personally I want a very dark green ( hunter) shadbelly

someday
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

If it makes a difference to the judges what you wear on your head, then they'd better make a rule about what it's going to be.

Otherwise you are being judged on your fashion sense and not your dressage.

If it's gonna be a fashion contest I give up now! (Can I wear my robe and slippers?)

You had best not be the slightest bit overweight if you want to wear a bowler. They tend to compound the problem.
    Top hats are formal wear and should not be worn with short coats.
    http://www.filmposters.it/imgposter/...nlioeolio2.jpg

My recently retired guy was the equivalent of a Canine Good Citizen. I wore a soft derby when showing him, because unless he dropped dead under me, the chances of him doing anything to toss me were next to zero. I wore it because in 90+ temps, it was a lost easier to handle than a helmet. Now I'm riding my bebe, I don't care how hot it is, I WEAR THE HELMET. lol That being said, I never liked the *)&(% thing's looks on me. I had a friend who looked quite elegant in hers, but I looked like Malcom McDowell in Clockwork Orange. The derby is now retired until bebe is, oh.....22 years old or more..... Unless someone wants to buy a used one? About a 7-1/8 size ( I could check).

Bowlers make most people look like the Pillsbury dough boy on horseback. Very few folks can get away with wearing them. Back in the day, Lynn Jones looked stunning in hers.

Ewwwwww, I absolutely hate bowler hats, but suit yourself...

bowlers are fashionable if you are a 13-year old showing 4-H saddleseat classes.

Wear what you like... but I hope that what the judges really prefer with a short coat is approved helmets.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I think 98% of judges don't care what type of hat you wear (or what saddle you have, etc.). But bowlers/derbies are hideously unflattering on almost everyone. I would never wear one. Hunt cap, helmet, or top hat.

Well I am glad someone said it and not me. Bowlers look terrible on anyone with extra pounds (including myself) and tend to make you look short and squatty. Awful! Then again, I have seen several tiny people who are wearing a top hat that almost covers their eyes which isn't much more flattering. They look like somone stepped on their head.
    "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" -Winston Churchill

Default top hat?

I am an adult amateur showing 3rd level this weekend and have been told by two different professionals to wear my top hat with short coat (I previously evented this horse so I didn't get to figure this stuff out through the normal avenues, ie. experience and personal observation ). Is this not correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Top hats are formal wear and should not be worn with short coats.
    http://www.filmposters.it/imgposter/...nlioeolio2.jpg
    Well then you'd better tell that to all the FEI trainers in southern CA who don't feel like changing their hats everytime they get on a horse. There is no rule against it.

Quote Originally Posted by rp4241 View Post
    I am an adult amateur showing 3rd level this weekend and have been told by two different professionals to wear my top hat with short coat (I previously evented this horse so I didn't get to figure this stuff out through the normal avenues, ie. experience and personal observation ). Is this not correct?
    Wear your top hat, I usually wear mine even at 3rd/4th level, it's tiresome to keep changing. If I'm riding something a bit squirrel-y or young, out comes the helmet though!

To the OP, personally I think the bowlers are ugly, but it's legal to wear one so get what YOU want.

In the big dressage countries in europe it has been a tradition for a very long time, to wear a bowler with a short coat, and a top hat only with a long coat. a dressage bowler looks fab on anyone from my POV.

class
    Bowlers are fashionable if you are a 13-year old showing 4-H saddleseat classes.
    Haha. I would have to disagree. Usually 4-Hers don't wear it correctly for SS fashion. It looks better if the derby is worn at an angle from forehead to top of bun and with a tight and shapely brim. But I have noticed in dressage its worn straight across the head with a very loose brim and the crown is sometimes the wrong height and shape for the person's head both factors are not very helpful in the flattering department. But thats just a bit off topic .

Most of those hats, agreed look goofy as hell on a straight, but I have a collection of mini hats and they are all worn on a cockied angle and they are cute as hell. (think in the horse world sidesaddle and the hat- it just works)

Not sure anyone would ride like that sans sidesaddle peeps but it is cute as hell.

Besides I thought you are there to be judged on your riding- not your hat-

What about a hunt cap, is that tacky?