The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone clinic with Jeff Cook?

I was wondering what you all thought of him. I saw him at the Equine Affaire and watched all of his clinics.

I asked about his clinic schedule. I forgot when and where he said he would be in Ohio? Any help on his schedule would be great, as well as what you thought about riding with him and was it worth the money?

Jeff is great to work with. He is a fantastic clinician. He is picky about proper turnout - he was GM's assistant - but he rewards effort and is super nice and approachable. I was fortunate enough to assist him in a couple of clinics - I got to set the course with him and hang out in the ring. I would have loved to have ridden, but that wasn't an option at the time.
    Grab hold of any opportunity to clinic with him - it is well worth the money.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I have heard good things about him. I'll be doing my first clinic with him the first weekend in May at Lochmoor stables in Lebanon Ohio. Findeight has all the details.

bhrunner06 was there at the equine affair with one of her horses. I'm sure she'll give you an update at some point in the near future.

I did enjoy the clinic and got a lot of good information from it, some different things to try. I thought the horses and riders were top notch. Riders all had great Eq and very fit athletes. He put the Jumper riders through the ringer and boy did they work. Horses were very nice and fit.

I loved to hear his stories about the riding trends he notices in different areas of the U.S. and in Europe.

I did speak with him twice and he was very approachable. I just wanted to hear what he thought about some of the training that our trainer does with us and he said we are right on track and he agrees with the things she is does with us. That is nice to hear.

I live on the boarder of Ohio and thought it would be worth it to go to a clinic.

My daughter did a clinic with Jeff last year and quite enjoyed it. He is very approachable and adapts the exercises to each particular horse/riders needs. He is VERY particular about turnout, and things that would bother GM, will bother Jeff.

awesome.

He is excellent. He quickly, correctly and perceptively noticed little problems my horse and I were having, AND helped me fix them.

tidy...sadly I didnt do the clinic!! Too many things going on!! Also didnt want to do the 2 days there at 4 ft, then have him home 1 day, and leave today for a 3 day george clinic at 4ft! so, oh well! maybe next year!! I have heard he is great though!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Default jeff Cook Clinic

Jeff gives an excellent clinic; he is able to see exactly what you and your horse need- he is very approachable. of course, (I am older-) and have known him since he was about 7 years old- but he was very nice yet expected you to follow his directions- He grew up in the Pacific Northwest-He tailors his clinic and comments to the appropriate level. I gave him riding lessons when he was 7 or younger.

Jeff Cook is one of the BEST TEACHERS you will EVER ride with. I have taken clinics from him since I was 14( 40 now) and lessond with him when I was in Flordia( 20 years ago) Don't miss the chance ... Have fun...He has good old fashion horsemanship, that is forgotten these days, or is never taught.
    Gates Equestrian
    National Champion Dan Patch sire of USEF/USHJA winning ponies!
    [url]www.gateseqsmfponies.webs.com/

Took my first REAL lesson at Hunterdon with Jeff (had previously been riding at County owned barn). In one lesson I went from being a kid thats never had a SERIOUS lesson to taking my first jump and being able to do a small course. He performed a miracle.
    Hes incredible.

I really enjoyed the clinics I took with him. He is a very pleasant, positive instructor, yet he is also challenging. The last clinic I had with him was a year and a half ago and I still use the things he told me all the time.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I have heard good things about him. I'll be doing my first clinic with him the first weekend in May at Lochmoor stables in Lebanon Ohio. Findeight has all the details.

Indeed. May 2nd and 3rd. Still a few slots open to clinic and lots of room to audit. www.lochmoorstables.com, phone is either answered or your call returned promptly...we have an actual person who does that.

Come audit if nothing else, think it's $25 a day. Fairly comfortable, indoors with lots of seating and food is good. Believe a small charge for food to auditors but it's cheap.

Lebanon is about 40 minutes north of Cincy, about 90 minutes south of Columbus right off I71. Easy enough from Indy as well, maybe 2 1/2 hours. And just 90 minutes from Lexington Ky. and maybe 2 hours from Louisville.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I ride at Lochmoor, and he gives two clinics a year here. He is super super nice and definitely gives equal attention to all riders.
    I have a lot of respect for him.

Just make sure you polish your boots. Like four times.
    Carry a stick and wear spurs, just in case etc. etc.

His clinics are really fun, and you learn a lot by auditing too. It's a good experience and he isn't intimidating at all, which I think might be a common misconception about him since he worked for GM.

His clinics are really good, I'd recommend riding in one if you're given the chance, and I think we still have open spots!