The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking I have a new horse!!! So excited...what do you think?

So my current boy, which many of you know from previous post, turned 22 last Wednesday. And I made the decision to retire him and let my barn use him in their beginner lesson program. He will always be happier being in work and while I want to jump 3ft or higher I can't ask that of him anymore, he would jump the moon for me regardless how much pain he would be in! Here is a picture from out last show, the best picture we have ever taken.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...35160315QkTWlq NEW LINK

However I found a wonderful new horse, Forrest Gump, that has entered my life. He had a really rough life before him. When his previous mom got him in Sept '08 he was 450lbs underweight. He is still a little underweight but he hasn't been worked in well over 3 years. He is a wonderful inquisitive boy! I am so excited to have him and he follows me like a puppy dog. I have attached some pictures and the videos of us! I plan on making him my next local hunter prospect and my new Jumper boy! Critiques are always welcome!!!

Also any suggestions in show names would be great!!!!

I have a ways to go with him, and these videos aren't the best, but he understands when I want collection and him to frame up he physically cant do it! But in time he will!
    Pictures: ( From day 1)
    http://pets.webshots.com/album/570672129fLcnva

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0B2n15CyaY

jump
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-7aQ...eature=related

From a couple days ago
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...v=510592791291
    Last edited by cswoodlandfairy; Apr. 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

He is just the cutest!! And he looks very athletic. Don't worry about his head....he isn't strong enough yet and he looks like he is using it<up> to help his balance. Check his teeth and if they are ok....just keep getting him stronger.
    Good Luck and please keep us posted on your progress!
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

With some weight and a slick summer coat you will have a real looker! He has such a kind face, he is best friend material. You have a lot to be excited about. Congratulations!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix mom View Post
    With some weight and a slick summer coat you will have a real looker! He has such a kind face, he is best friend material. You have a lot to be excited about. Congratulations!!!
    Thanks! He has a horrible winter coat and it makes it worse that he was so malnourished his coat in general looks bad. But he is a good boy, we are working on the head slowly. I just ask for him to lower not so much in a frame but lower then release and praise him so he is slowly figuring it all out. But he is wonderful! I am very excited!! I will definitely keep everyone updated!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

can't get to the pics, but congrats! it's always exciting to have a new horse.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Congrats he looks very sweet, but their is a reason he is evading the bit, you just need to find out what it is. I would not ride him in spurs and I feel he is afraid and rushing, I think I might walk and trot him correctly for awhile before cantering, there is just no good reason to canter around like he is, I think I would slow everything down and get it right from whatever gait he'll give it to you, I think I'd also do lots of poles at the walk and trot, teach him to carry himself throught the poles, you have lots of work ahead of you, but he looks like he'll be worth it in the end,good luck, keep us posted!!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
    Congrats he looks very sweet, but their is a reason he is evading the bit, you just need to find out what it is. I would not ride him in spurs and I feel he is afraid and rushing, I think I might walk and trot him correctly for awhile before cantering, there is just no good reason to canter around like he is, I think I would slow everything down and get it right from whatever gait he'll give it to you, I think I'd also do lots of poles at the walk and trot, teach him to carry himself throught the poles, you have lots of work ahead of you, but he looks like he'll be worth it in the end,good luck, keep us posted!!
    Yeah the head is annoying. I don't want to ride in spurs because he reacts too well to my leg! Which is very different from my old man, who I have ot use a lot of leg. I had a friend whose great with projects come and give me a lesson and we were able to lower his head and canter without the giraffe head. I have him in a french link right now, not sure if there is something else out there. When he gives me the 10 seconds of framing up his stride is wonderful I love it, but giraffe head must go! Right now I am working on a lot of bending at the walk/trot and have thrown some poles in here or there. But I will definitely set up some pole grids to work on. Thanks for the tips!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

He is absolutely sweet and dear! Give him time to get in weight and muscle and you may have a handful, in a good way! 17h and young is an awesome combination! Congratulations on your new boy!

I might suggest lunging him a bit to help build that top line and strengthen him in general.
    Cutie!

Another thing, his back might be sore, if you can look in to that as a reason he is evading the bit, maybe a round of robaxin might help relax his back. Again I don't think I'd canter him until he's very strong at the walk and trot.I love projects and trying to figure out what's best, it seems like its rarely the same thing for each horse!!
    Hey have you longed him at the canter or watched him in the field, how does he carry himself then? That should give you an idea of where he should be carrying his head.

Cute new pony...good luck with him! Also, I'm having trouble seeing the first picture you posted.
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

Not sure why the link didnt work...I updated the link.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

Quote Originally Posted by cswoodlandfairy View Post
    Not sure why the link didnt work...I updated the link.
    There we go! Your "best jump" picture is lovely
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

Quote Originally Posted by HARROLDhasmyheart View Post
    There we go! Your "best jump" picture is lovely
    Thanks...only reason he looks so cute is he was trying to find the swamp monsters in the ring!!!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

He is quite lovely--congratulations!
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

He's a cutie, congratulations and may you have many happy years together

Very nice!!

I am only going to make one suggestion. I love giving flatwork suggestions as flatwork makes all the difference in the world when you go to jump but I'll spare you all my ramblings.

One thing, and it's kind of a big deal, is your hands. When he gets his head up in the air - Raise. Your. Hands. If nothing else you must keep your hands even with his mouth. Half the time his head is in the air your hands are in or nearly in his neck bracing down against his mouth which will actually encourage him to raise his head more.

Ok, I lied. I'm going to make another suggestion. Lunging is a very good idea. It doesn't have to be for hours but 20 mins-10 each way-is not going to hurt him and will help him strengthen up without worrying about a rider. Better than lunging would be ground driving - if you are unsure how to go about that I can walk you through it. You might also want to throw a standing martingale on him just to be sure he doesn't get his head any higher (a properly fitted martingale-not one so tight it holds his head down).

Of course teeth, back, and overall health checks need to be done and ruled out as causes for any funkiness

He's very cute and I can see quite a nice horse in there once you get him fattened, muscled and shiny!! Enjoy him!
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

He is soooo cute! Congrats on ur new boy

Cute boy!! Can't wait to see him when he fills out and gets his muscle tone back
    Theater Majors only: Lead swap, lead swap, wherefore art thou, lead swap?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CraziiPonii

Quote Originally Posted by 2 tbs View Post
    Very nice!!

I am only going to make one suggestion. I love giving flatwork suggestions as flatwork makes all the difference in the world when you go to jump but I'll spare you all my ramblings.

One thing, and it's kind of a big deal, is your hands. When he gets his head up in the air - Raise. Your. Hands. If nothing else you must keep your hands even with his mouth. Half the time his head is in the air your hands are in or nearly in his neck bracing down against his mouth which will actually encourage him to raise his head more.

Ok, I lied. I'm going to make another suggestion. Lunging is a very good idea. It doesn't have to be for hours but 20 mins-10 each way-is not going to hurt him and will help him strengthen up without worrying about a rider. Better than lunging would be ground driving - if you are unsure how to go about that I can walk you through it. You might also want to throw a standing martingale on him just to be sure he doesn't get his head any higher (a properly fitted martingale-not one so tight it holds his head down).

Of course teeth, back, and overall health checks need to be done and ruled out as causes for any funkiness

He's very cute and I can see quite a nice horse in there once you get him fattened, muscled and shiny!! Enjoy him!
    Yup, yup, yup and I am going to say it again, check his teeth.

The "problem" see with the head high stuff, is that he will actually build muscle under his neck that you don't want. It is so exciting toget a new horse, but please don't rush it. Lunge him, build up his back and neck and the get on and canter and jump.