The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which barn would you choose?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barn 1

5 16.13%
  • Barn 2

24 77.42%
  • Neither (Explain why!)

2 6.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which barn would you choose?

So, on my quest to decide whether or not to change barns, I found another barn to consider.

Here's the "stats" of both barns:

BARN 1:

10 minutes away
    $275/mo
    Very nice indoor, basically unrideable outdoor (REALLY bad footing)
    Dirt lot small paddock with shelter, turnout on grass weather permitting.
    My horse lives with only one other horse, buddy sourness issues.
    Paddock is picked out and cleaned often, but does get muddy. Clean = no flies.
    Very observant barn staff and BO, any scrape or bump gets spotted immediately.
    Hay AM and PM, grain AM and PM, no free range no matter what, BO won't allow it.
    Water trough is geothermically heated but still freezes in deep winter.
    I can work at the barn, so that's a big bonus for me, good source of income.
    BO micromanages EVERYTHING, tries to make decisions for boarder horses without even including the owner.

BARN 2:

35 minutes away
    $225/mo
    Decent indoor (small), AWESOME outdoor with AWESOME trails as well
    Large dry lot pasture with trees, turnout on grass weather permitting.
    Horse would live in small herd of 5-6 horses, more risk of bullying.
    Dry lot pasture doesn't get much cleaning, was VERY muddy, but BO says they're adding limestone this summer..?
    Very knowledgeable BO, knows more than BO from barn 1, but may not be QUITE as observant.
    Hay free range from really super high quality rectangular bales. Grain if required only.
    Water trough with electric heaters, no freezing.
    Unsure if I can work at this barn or not, I doubt it.
    BO is very laid back, management is almost a little lacking. Barn is sloppy due to this.

Which do you guys like better? I really am loving barn #2, but the longer drive and no work possibilties really are a downer.

I don't think any of us can come on here and say 'Oh, use barn x'. Which one feels better to you?

Think of it this way- which barn are you going to be happy driving away from and leaving your horse there?

I would pick barn 2 for me, because the turnout is better, free choice hay, heated water troughs, and hacking.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Barn 2 sounds better to me...but how sloppy is sloppy? I can't stand a messy barn!

1. Can you get along with BO#1. This would break the deal for me here and now but its not about me.

2. Do you need the work or can you find a job somewhere else that probably pays mroe? See comment #1--can you get along with BO#1.

3. It seems like BO #2 might not be as, um, anal? Paddocks not clean, barn sloppy, etc. Mud doesnt bother me--its mud season round these parts and theres nothing to be done.

4. Maybe you can offer to help clean paddocks and barn for cheaper board.

5. Which feels good to you?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote:
    BO micromanages EVERYTHING, tries to make decisions for boarder horses without even including the owner.

This would be the deal breaker for me. No way would I allow anyone to make a decision regarding my mare without asking me first.

Default Better for you or for horse?

I am totally (mostly) just teasing you here, but it sounds like it's a question of one barn being better for you, and the other barn being better for the horse. If it were me, I'd go for Barn #2 no question -- free-choice hay, larger turn-out, more trails, water always available. I think your horse would be okay in a herd of 5 or 6 -- they'll figure it out, hopefully sooner rather than later. The barn owner sounds better too -- and if she's more knowledgeable than BO #1, maybe it's not impacting the horses if her barn is alittle sloppy. Are we talking blankets draped over stalls, here, or are we talking mixing up different horses' supplements, etc.? Some sloppy is okay; other kinds of sloppy are more of an issue.

But, if you can't swing the longer drive and really wanted to work at the barn, I'd keep looking. Barn #1 sounds like there could be issues with the BO, which might affect how much you enjoy being there, and what with the lack of hay during the day and the crappy outdoor facilities, I'd pass.

Again, though, the barn has to work for you. It's your life, your money, your horse.

Overall it sounds like Barn #2 is a better situation. I would have a problem with the BO at Barn #1 making decisions for my horse without me.

I would talk to the BO at Barn #2 about your horse and seeing if he can have a smaller herd turnout. Maybe if you work at cleaning the barn, BO will take money off the board or will pay you. If not, find a different job to help pay for your horse. Waitresses make good money.

They both sound gross to me.
    I suggest you make a list of
    gotta have
    like to have
    must not have
    and stick to it!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    They both sound gross to me.
    I suggest you make a list of
    gotta have
    like to have
    must not have
    and stick to it!
    Why on earth are both barns "gross"?! That was rather rude to say.

As for the other questions..

I can get along with BO 1, but I have to bite my tongue a lot. We're VERY different on how we see horse management. BO 2 is much more similar to my ideals, but not a perfect match either.

Barn 2 is sloppy, but harmlessly so. ie, halters flung lazily on the stalls, leadropes on the ground, blankets tossed on the ground, random tack on the walls.. and a goat that occasionally poops in the aisle..

BUT, not sloppy-dangerous, she's very conscientious it seems to making sure each horse gets what it's supposed to get. The feed room, while not perfectly clean, everything is clearly marked with names and amounts, etc.

I know it sounds silly, but I do worry I won't find another job I can do. I get paid just above minimum wage now, but my requirements otherwise are kinda tricky. I need a part-time, weekend-only job that will not give me a hard time if I miss a weekend here or there (MAYBE once every month and a half) to visit family or boyfriend.

It wasnt intended to be rude; it was intended to be honest.

Neither has full access grazing (yet is for keeping an animal that spends 40 minutes out of every hour grazing). That alone would make me pass.

one has bad footing (limited riding options)
    and no herd (horses are social herd creatures that thrive in groups of 5 or more)
    and has a BO that acts without permission and may differ from your husbandry ideals.

the other has an unkept paddock and a generally sloppy manager. If someone isnt meticulous about the upkeep of their barn, they are generally not meticulous eyeing over the horses for injury or abnormality. Someone can have all the knowledge in the world, but that does you no good if they do not act accordingly.

Finding a boarding barn that suits your needs can be a difficult challenge

As for a weekend job, look into grocery sample/demonstrations, or even pet food demonstrations/sales. The job generally pays rather well, and hours are usually only on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    As for a weekend job, look into grocery sample/demonstrations, or even pet food demonstrations/sales. The job generally pays rather well, and hours are usually only on weekends.
    That's an interesting idea, I wonder where I could find that kinda job?

The second barn has full access grazing in the form of free fed hay.

Barn #2 sounds better. What are your "life commitments"? a.e. family? kids? Is the 35 minute drive a "deal breaker"? I drive 16 miles to/from my barn but the care, turnout and cleanliness is worth it. Not to mention fabulous trails....and I have 2 kids under the age of 6. There are MUCH closer barns to me - a.e. 8 miles, but much more expensive, small turnout areas and paddocks vs. the huge multi-acre, hilly field my horse is in. I'd love for him to be 5 minutes away but I love where he is more.

Especially if you want to trail ride, Barn #2 would be a must. The sloppiness issues don't sound bad - and heck, if it were me I'd just pick up as I walk by, but I am like that

Herd of 5 sounds perfect to me (vs. just 1). Horses are horses - the bullying should work itself out, if any at all really.

As for working - try to find another place to work and if your new barn sees you cleaning up and tidying things, they may just hire you. You can also be a pet sitter (like me). If you market yourself well, it's flexible, great money (vs. kennels around here) and lots of repeat business. Good luck! I say Barn #2 without question.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAltermas! View Post
    Why on earth are both barns "gross"?! That was rather rude to say.
    ...I need a part-time, weekend-only job that will not give me a hard time if I miss a weekend here or there (MAYBE once every month and a half) to visit family or boyfriend.
    You sound young...it wasn't "Rude" to say both barns sound "Gross". They do both sound gross. #1 would suck for the horse and #2 would drive me nuts with crap tossed all over the place. I like goats, hate em' when they're on the loose - chewing tack, crapping in the barn aisle etc...I wouldn't want to be a maid for a bunch of slobs.

If you're not in school, get a real job that pays above minimum wage...have your boyfriend come down and visit you. Why wouldn't a business give you a "hard time" if you were taking weekends off...either they need you there or they don't...maybe you should work for yourself...start dog/pet sitting, dog walking etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    You sound young...it wasn't "Rude" to say both barns sound "Gross". They do both sound gross. #1 would suck for the horse and #2 would drive me nuts with crap tossed all over the place. I like goats, hate em' when they're on the loose - chewing tack, crapping in the barn aisle etc...I wouldn't want to be a maid for a bunch of slobs.

If you're not in school, get a real job that pays above minimum wage...have your boyfriend come down and visit you. Why wouldn't a business give you a "hard time" if you were taking weekends off...either they need you there or they don't...maybe you should work for yourself...start dog/pet sitting, dog walking etc.
    They sound like barns to me. It's very easy to say 'get a real job' but in many areas, minimum wage jobs are the only thing going.

The untidyness of barn two would bother me, but I'd just keep my area clean and tidy and ignore the rest. Usually, if one person makes an effort, a few others will join in, so it starts looking better.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAltermas! View Post
    I can get along with BO 1, but I have to bite my tongue a lot. We're VERY different on how we see horse management.

Im hearing "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!"

If you see that now and you arent even t here yet, how much more will happen once your there? Trust me barns dont show what they really believe before you get there.

I was one at a barn where they said "feeding grain 3 x day". Sometime between the time I got there and the time I really checked, they had "decided" that they coul dfeed more 2x day and do the same. Not a deal breaker for me esp. given the choices to move but Im not real happy about it. The care is otherwise good so I dont say anything.

Be aware. Be very aware.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I assume you are already at #1. The micromanaging would get to me as well as the hay doling.

As for #2, how sloppy is sloppy? Barns are hard to keep totally neat. But if there are buckets and rakes, etc, strewn about, and uncleaned stalls, and poorly stored grain. That would be an outta here for me.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    I assume you are already at #1. The micromanaging would get to me as well as the hay doling.

As for #2, how sloppy is sloppy? Barns are hard to keep totally neat. But if there are buckets and rakes, etc, strewn about, and uncleaned stalls, and poorly stored grain. That would be an outta here for me.
    It's mildly sloppy. The aisle is clear, the stalls are clean, the feed room is fairly neat and everything is in containers. There's just halters and blankets randomly laying on the ground by the stall fronts, etc.

Heck that isnt sloppy.

Thans normal!

Well, neither sounds like a match made in heaven but #1 with it's micro managing BO that makes decisions without consulting the owner and has only frozen water mid winter does not seem to have much going for it. Limited riding too.

Honestly, it is a barn and you don't have to eat off the floor, most of what you describe is fine with the horses, they really don't care as long as the food is good and there is enough of it, they will thrive. Alot of what we tend to judge a barn by is really extra on top of what is really necessary-and this is not an expensive place at all.

If it's basically clean, the fences are in good shape, the gates safe and in working order, #2 sounds like a better place for your horse. You can deal with a few careless or lazy boarders easier then that BO at #1 who wants to tell you what to do with your own horse-or do it without telling you. That's a deal breaker.
    Last edited by findeight; Apr. 7, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.