The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

stella bella Guest

Default Advice needed on sale horse

In August I bought a horse, on a whim, and it turned out, I was pregnant. Absolutely nothing wrong with the horse. I took it to my old coaches farm. (I moved the horses from her place, home).

At first she thought she had some clients intrested in leasing the horse, but that did not work out. Then she had a trainer coming to buy the horse. That did not work out, he didnt come. Then the horse was listed on the internet for sale (no pictures, no video, just very basic information with 10 other horses for sale.) I personally sent two people to see the horse. One made an offer that she rejected and told me about afterwards, and the other was never able to make arrangements that worked for the coach, to see the horse. When asked about it, she said didnt want to sell him here, and that she wanted to take the horse to Florida to groom for a BNT, and sell him while she was there. She never went. Then the horse went back up for sale, no intrest in the horse.

She then came to me two months ago, and says he is just not right, and wants to get him gone. (I thought this was the plan all along) She says hes stopping, and spooky. Others tell me at christmas they saw him being schooled 3'3-3'6 courses, and that hes great).

Anyways, she tells me she has been in contact with a well-known local agent, and the agent is full right now, but will come and see him soon. She asks me if its okay to say the horse is hers, since it would be a favor to her for the agent to sell the horse. (WHAT??) Nothing came of this, but everytime I ask what is going on, she tells me the agent is coming.

I ask if she wants me get his passport ready to show, so we can get a video and pictures and get him out there. She says no, he will be gone by then, but that we can take him to local show for pictures. Nothing is set up.

Then, this week, I send the horses information to a friend who is looking. I tell my coach. She says hes lame, and that he has always been off and on lame, and that shes put him on stall rest. (This is the first have heard of it, except the last time I sent someone to try him, he got an absess). She said she doesnt know whats causing it. She thought his winter blanket was causing it, or he pulled a muscle in the mud.

So I went over yesterday. I suggested we take him to the big lameness vet clinic here, and figure out what the heck is going on. She says she'll make the appointment.

I go down to the barn to see him. He's skinny. Not just ribby, but SKINNY. No muscle on his topline, no fat on him. His coat is dull, and he grumpy. He is NOT in sale turnout, and DEFINATELY NOT the fat happy hunter I dropped off.

Also, the barn is more than half empty, and it just got listed for sale.

I have not payed board on the horse since he has been there, but I have payed for his shoes, wormer, and vetting. This was our arrangement, and it was to be added to her commission on the horse. There is no written contract.

Now what do I do?? He will not sell in the state he is in, for a reasonable amount, (not what she is asking). Why does she want to sell it as her as the owner? Can she sell it to the agent without me knowing, and I have to accept this price? Is that why doesnt want to deal with the passport?

Do I just go pick up the horse? How can I do this without a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by stella bella View Post
    Do I just go pick up the horse?
    Yes.

Be prepared for her to ask for back board.

But as the owner of the horse, it's your responsibility to see that he is healthy and taken care of, and that needs to be your first priority.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Sounds like something "shady" going on with her-not to mention- the poor care she is giving your horse. I would go pick him up today. Find a time when you don't think she'll be at the barn. Leave her a note to send you an itemized bill for what you owe. You can always dispute the bill later-Just get the horse back to your house.

It is time to take the horse home if you can afford to do so. Way, way too many red flags (and I've been there done that)...plus if he is in poor condition and not being worked he is not going to sell anyways. Take him home fatten him up and if you have any friends that could ride him offer them the opportunity to get him back in shape. Deal with the potential soundness issues once he is back in condition to work - from everything you wrote I would wonder about the lameness issues (and if he may actually be sound when receiving the proper care).

Use the stall rest if you have to to get him out of there. Suggest that since he is in need of lay-up he would be happier (or you would feel better having him) at home.

If you are wanting to send him somewhere else to sell, I would bring him home first (again if that is possible) and get him fat again.

Good luck.

And take lots of dated pictures/video of his condition. Plus vet's statement as to it as well.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Here's another vote for go get the horse now.

Sounds like there are several fishy things going on, and none of them make any sense. Don't try and figure it out, just get the horse, and worry about what to do with him later.

Take him home. Doesn't sound fishy to me, sounds like she has run out of money and is in distress. If so, your horse is probably the last thing on her mind. If her financial world is falling down around her ears she probably cant think straight even if she wanted to. The horse is innocent, take him home or feed him yourself.

She's not trying to sell the horse and she's obviously stopped feeding, working, caring for the horse. You may get a phone call at some point in the near future that he's colicked and she has euthanized him, or that she wants to drop the price drastically to get him gone and btw she already sold him for the drastically reduced price.

Go get the horse. Nothing good is going to happen to the horse at that barn. You don't need to make a scene, just email her and tell her that you've changed your mind and you're taking your horse home. You will have a discussion about whatever outstanding bills there are when you get there.

You need to go with whatever records you have of conversations and agreements, and you'll probably need to have a sum in mind that you'll reimburse her for back board. Even though she doesn't deserve it, it sounds like. Take cash.

Don't leave the barn without the horse.

Good luck.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

I buy and sell horses for a living and would expect a customer to pick up their horse if I gave them this run around. I agree with everyone up here.. go pick him up.

As for back board. - she didn't sell, so she can't add on to comission.. It didn't happen.

Don't know where you are,, wish I could help more.

Get him home, fatten him up and get him going.. Do the sale yourself, if you cannot find someone you trust. But this person don't trust!.

Good luck.

Go get him and let her come to you for the board money. You don't need to be mad, just clear.

As others have said, she planned to get her expenses paid by the sales commission. If she didn't sell the horse and/or made it impossible to sell him, that's her loss. She could have done otherwise. In fact, both of you were working on the assumption that she was capable of managing the nuts and bolts of prepping him and selling him. She must have known that each month she found a reason not to sell or show or video tape the horse, she was losing money.

Unfortunately, he's now yours to fix and sell yourself.

Sorry this falls in your lap while you are getting more and more pregnant! But it sounds like you have been organized and proactive about getting him sold in the past, so I think you can do it.

Definitely go get the horse. She's not doing her job and he needs to be removed from harms way. Once he's home you can evaluate the situation and decide what to do next. I agree with finding a friend to ride him. If the person who offered is still looking I would contact them.

As far as back board...I don't know. That's a tough one. If she was having problems with the horse she should have communicated with you about it. She obviously wasn't caring for the horse so I don't know how I would handle that. Maybe a reduced amount when he sells? Maybe figured if she wanted her board she would have worked harder to sell him? Seriously, I don't know how I would handle that.

Quote Originally Posted by Posting Trot View Post
    Nothing good is going to happen to the horse at that barn.
    absolutely

Better get him now before it gets worse. And it WILL get worse. There was a thread oh... two years ago? About a broodmare sent to a BNT's barn and found there, starving to death. There was another thread about someone who was told her horse died, and then was buried immediatly, all before the owner was contacted. No one knows if the horse did die, or just disapeared.

Please do him a favor and bring him home, just throw him in a field and give him groceries for a month or so. Put a listing in the riderless horse thread and see if someone will come once or twice a week to put some muscle on him.

Good luck!
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Take pictures of him AT HER FARM before you take him. PROOF that SHE did this. That is all I'm going to say, because she is going to give you a big feed bill, a feed bill for what? I'd take him to a vet too and have the vet write down in writing the day you took him what he looked like, just more proof.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Call me a skeptic, but I am wondering if this is a genuine story. 1st post on COTH, no response to any of the posts, pretty obvious answer without asking for help. I could understand this as a vent as opposed to a "what do I do?" thread.

Yes, there will be a fight and, even tho he is poor, she did incur expenses for his care and may have the right to demand payment before he is removed. With no written agreement stating who is paying for what? You might want to consult an attorney familiar with your state's laws before you just show up to take him, she has possession and it is on her property. She could call the cops on you as a tresspasser and you may have to prove it is your horse. Get something together that proves ownership and identifies him as your horse.

Things like this are a mess but am wondering why you waited so long to look at him, even after she wanted to tell the agent she was the owner-and that would have done it for most.

It would be wise to get him out of there as quickly as possible lest he be siezed if the property, and everything on it, goes to auction in a foreclosure.

With no written contract, she may do whatever she wants and just say you told her to...and yes she can sell it to whoever she wants at whatever price she wants and then not give you a dime saying it's the back board and her commission. Because you have nothing in writing that says otherwise.

Go get the horse and don't do this again. Be prepared to go to court if you have to.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

OMG!!! Are you sure you are not my alter?!?!?!?!
    This EXACT situation happened to me. Go get the horse. Now!

She can not hold your horse for payment- no matter what she says.
    If she says you owe her money- it's a civil matter. She can not hold your horse.
    She can however - not let you on the property to get the horse.

Be real nice to her. Tell her you have a vet appointment that day and you'll bring him right back.

Then...just don't take him back. It's the safest, quietest way to get him out.