The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Riding Options When Living in NYC?

I would like to attend school in NYC, but am weighing in the factor of not being able to ride as often if at all. Has anyone managed this and if so, how? I probably won't have my car with me, so I would have to rely on public transportation. Is it even possible to ride without having a car to drive out of the city to barns?

Thanks!

Yes, it can be done; I have been doing it for years. But, plan on spending up to an hour on the train (NJ Transit, Long Island RR, or Metro North) or NJ Transit Bus, and more on car fare from the station to the barn. (The only barns I know of within walking distance of a station are Knoll in Long Island and Bergen Equestrian in NJ, and Bergen is closing for renovations next month.)

Search "New York City" and you'll find a number of threads on this incredibly frustrating topic....
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

I can't imagine wanting to leave northern VA for NYC.

You might also consider money. NYC is hugely expensive and I would gather that most riding options within commuting distance are going to be pretty pricey in general (plus the cost of transportation). I lived in NYC and just gave up riding for 20 years. I was lucky enough to be able to pay my electric bill, to be honest, horses in any form were just not in the budget for me.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Of course, is you plan on attending NYU or Columbia, they have riding teams and, I would assume, a carpool -- Columbia rides at Garrett in NJ and NYU at Essex in NJ.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

I tried this myself years ago - the time and money spent getting to and from riding was pathetic! It may seem close by, but takes hours back and forth, and the closest barns tend to be crowded and expensive. And yes, $$$$ for everything adds up into a very pathetic lifestyle per dollar, compared to other places. If you come from some money, or like the poor-starving-student lifestyle, you can have a blast, esp. if your interests are something NY specializes in, like theater, film, fashion, law, banking (!)...

go join the mounted auxiliary police unit. you get to ride great horses and you gain something to put on your resume that is highly respectable at the same time... AND it's FREE!

I did it when I lived in Brooklyn and it was awesome. Kept me in riding shape and gave me a great boost in the job world. People are very impressed when you say you were part of NYPD.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Default Riding in NYC for the Carless

I've been looking for the answer to this question for ten years and haven't found it. I now split my time between NYC and D. C. for professional reasons, and there's a huge difference in the horsey scene. There are great trainers in Westchester, near Millbrook and around Gladstone, but the trains run infrequently and suburban cabs are hideously expensive. When I rode near Millbrook I paid $35 EACH WAY in cab fare from Wassaic station,bringing total transportation cost to over $100 each time I rode.

I don't know anyone in the horsey world in New York who doesn't have (a) a car and (b) a whole lot of money, as in super highpaying job, high earning spounse, etc., which would fund said car. Just an observation, but it seems to me that the costs of keeping a car here ( not to mention the riding itself) on top of the expense of just living means that people who ride seriously around NY arent reasonably successful professionals as around D. C., Philadelphia, Houston, etc. --they are usually people with a different level of resources, and have a different level of access and equestrian opportunities.

There are lots of reasons to go to school in New York, and being a student can make a very expensive city within reach--but not for riding. If anyone knows different, please let me know!

InWhyCee Redux--I was looking for the old thread and couldn't find it. Can anyone help?

OP--If you ride with a trainer in NoVa, maybe that person can connect you with a barn around NYC that will do you a favor and send someone to the train station to pick you up? Or maybe someone here will know of a barn that might do that? I had a trainer for a while who used to come pick me up at the station and work it into my overall lesson fee. It cut the cost of the trip, but it was still almost three hours each way door-to-door to ride. People thought I was flat-out crazy, and I guess I was. Still am, but at least in D. C. I can ride!

I work in NYC and ride in NJ.

I have a car.

This is affordable, both time and money wise, because I live right across the river in Jersey City in a 2BR apartment that has a parking space included for far less than a studio with no parking would go for in Manhattan.

I also save the 4% Manhattan residence tax.
    (Which, btw, I find it hilarious when Manhattan residents complain about the 4% tax hike on income earned above $250,000, when said complainers aren't even making close to $250,000 and they are gladly paying 4% extra in income tax just to spend twice as much on rent in Manhattan because they "want to live in Manhattan".)

I also save spending $8 in tolls and an hour just crossing the river.

when I lived in the city (college days) I had a pos car that I just parked on the street (upper west side). Its been many moons since then and I'm sure much has changed.

I rode/boarded in Suffern, NY, Rockland County, there are a bunch of places there, or at least there were, there is also a train station and bus depot in downtown Suffern, and a bus line that runs up rte 202. The place I boarded at has changed names, etc, and is now a h/j barn that has lost its access to trails.... but does have a huge indoor.

and what are your options going over the tappan zee?

also, check out Riverdale/Bronx... NYC area's best kept secret, I had a photographer shoot the small stable that is in Riverdale, they offer ring riding only I think. I'm sure its not cheap, but its horses . There used to be a couple of stables in Brooklyn too.

bussing around NJ isn't that bad and there are tons of small operations in bergen county, like Mahwah, etc... or, at least there were last time I checked about 7 years ago... I flew south.

Right, I agree, that's another choice, and if I stay in New York I'll probably move to Westchester or New Jersey for just that reason. If you own a car anyway, the riding becomes an affordable ( sort of) luxury. It's the horse and the car together with the cost of living that pushes everything into the stratosphere. I haven't wanted to leave Manhattan, but maybe it's time. Not a solution to the carless rider in NYC problem, though.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post

also, check out Riverdale/Bronx... NYC area's best kept secret, I had a photographer shoot the small stable that is in Riverdale, they offer ring riding only I think. I'm sure its not cheap, but its horses . There used to be a couple of stables in Brooklyn too.
    I rode at the stables in Brooklyn years ago. Hard to believe you could actually rent a horse and ride in Prospect Park (with a guide, not on your own!). The stables were ancient, small and very, very dusty, with a single dirt paddock for turnout and a small open area inside the stables to serve as an "indoor". If you are desperate, go for it (if they are still there). Kensington was the name of it.

Riverdale is as nice as urban gets - they have several dozen acres of space, so there are multiple turnout paddocks for rotating turnout and several outdoor rings, and one large indoor (normal kind of indoor). They are absolutely packed to the gills but my impression was run competently. You are surrounded by major roads on all sides, so no trail riding or anything. There are both boarders and school horses there. It is technically reachable by bus, but not a quick trip. Not bad by car (1/2 hour from middle of Manhattan, if you avoid rush hour).

Sorry, I join those who burnt out on NYC, and much appreciate having moved elsewhere. Like where you can stretch one arm out without accidentally smacking someone in the head.

Forgot about Riverdale. That and Twin Lakes in Bronxville are probably your best close-in options, although very crowded and no rideout at either one. Good quality people and instruction at both, I hear, although I don't know either place personally. Both about 40 minutes from midtown.

For the record, I'm not burning out on NYC--I feel like it's burning out on me, and everyone else who loves the city but wants a reasonably comfortable life without spending a fortune. Riding aside, it's a great place to be a student, because you get university housing and a lot of other good stuff that you have to cover for yourself once you graduate. You might just want to back-burner your riding and put school first right now--you have the rest of your life to ride, and you may not get another chance to live in New York for cheap (er.) And yes, I do know how hard that is to say.

There are express bus lines from the east and west side of Manhattan right up to Riverdale ($5) and if I recall the lessons are five dollars cheaper than Twin Lakes. The bus trip from the start of the line usually takes about 45 minutes. Its probably the most comfortable commute. The only disadvantage is that their regular lesson spots are booked up and so you may have to take cancellation spots. Also a mother told me that they don't offer jumping so her daughter also takes lessons at Twin Lakes.

Twin Lakes is good. The train commute to Crestwood is a little annoying though and more expensive than the bus to Riverdale. The train stops at every podunk station in Brooklyn. The cab station is right at the train station but you'll want to get there about 30 minutes before your lesson because they don't always have a cab waiting for you.

Fox Hill out of Hawthorne is the most expensive I've tried but its also the only place I've found where you can rent out horses for trail rides. Its also the only place this spring I've ridden outdoors which is a plus. Its much further north than Twin Lakes but the train ride is only 4-5 minutes longer because it runs express to White Plains. Its actually a pretty comfortable commute. However, between the train, taxi, and lessons, it is by far the most expensive option of the three.

oh, what about chelsea piers on the water on the lower east side? or was that just ages ago too? I used to go to school on 23&3 and drove past the piers on my way down the hh, used to watch the frantic horses out in "turnout" a little dirt patch with 6' concrete walls...

There have been a couple threads on this subject, so try the Search option.

Most responses were to go out to Long Island or to take the train (NJ Transit) into New Jersey. If you have a car it makes it a lot easier. I know a handful of people who live/work in NYC and commute to NJ to ride.

I've posted suggestions on the last two threads. If you can't find them send me a pm. The place at Chelsea piers has been gone at least 5 years. It became a basketball place and now I believe they tore that down as well.

If you can bring a car, it's doable to street park it in some areas if you don't have to work a full time job (alternate side of the street parking has its tricks). Otherwise, your options are limited (Twin Lakes, Riverdale, Hunter's Run (?) by the Glen Cove train station, Essex, Overpeck when it reopens, Jamaica Bay, etc.).

Living in the City is one thing getting around outside the city is another. I have lived most of my life around NYC, worked for many years in the city and always had a car. If you know someone close to the city even in NJ maybe you could park your car there and just take mass transit and them drive to where you want to go...
    There are lots of places either in Westchester, Long Island, New Jersey , Rockland and even Conn...but it is about access....If you do not mind the train Metro North covers most of Westchester and goes to Conn and easy from Grand Central....
    I now live outside the city and still have my car and my horses....
    Where are you going to school?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

try getting an apartment in hoboken or jersey city. a long time ago, these were one of the last places you'd want to live, but now theyre the new up-and-coming neighborhoods, and values are climbing. plus, you can avoid all the tolls and city traffic. to get to school, just hop on the path train, which hoboken and jersey city both have. that way, you can ride somewhere closer in NJ. in my opinion, this is the easiest (not that finding an apartment is easy, but, i mean once its all said and done, riding would be abundantly easier and more affordable if you were living on the NJ side of the river)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3