The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Favorite Barn Aisle Flooring?

I'm getting ready to re-do my barn aisle flooring. Right now it's just sand. Which is ok, I like the fact that I don't have to sweep it , but it gets really dusty. What's your favorite flooring?

We're really happy with our brushed concrete aisle. It wasn't expensive, it looks good, the brush marks keep it from being slippery, and it's easy to leaf blow every day and power wash when we need to.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Stonedust.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrider View Post
    We're really happy with our brushed concrete aisle. It wasn't expensive, it looks good, the brush marks keep it from being slippery, and it's easy to leaf blow every day and power wash when we need to.
    I second this!

Rubber matting if you can afford it!

It's quiet, non-slip, warmer. You can brush it just as easily, and pressure wash it if needed. I love it!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I used to have brick pavers in my last barn and I liked those, but now I have rubber mats and I love them. They are quiet, easy to clean, easy to move if you need to fix a pipe or something and are very non-slip.
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I second the vote for stonedust.
    It packs down so it feels like concrete (and can be swept like it) to me. Hayguy can drive his truck on it, but horses still leave shallow imprints so it has some give for them.

BTW: truck doesn't leave tracks - so it must be how the weight is distributed?

I have it in my stalls as well and aftyer 5 years w/o mats they are still level.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Brick.

asphalt with a popcorn finish.

vet and farrier like it too.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Stonedust * For safety* as I had a horse fall on concrete aisle with a mat runner (at trainer's) and break her pelvis -had to be put down) - I have concrete aisle now from last owner -- I have matted wall to wall but can be slippery with snow packed shoes in winter. Dirt with a little rock salt to keep dust down - topped with a little sawdust would be my first choice * Stonedust second.
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Apr. 7, 2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling

I have a brushed concrete center aisle with several rubber mats down the middle. I'm planning to put down rubber brick pavers in the future. I really love the pavers but I need to save up my pennies!!
    Dream Again Farm

Stone dust is a traditional TB race horse barn aisle. (Note: I did NOT say TB breeding farm barn aisle - different animal entirely.) Stone dust is very good for hooves as it does have a small amount of give & the grittiness wears bare hooves slightly if horses are being handwalked, &, of course, it it non-slip. You can ride on it, too ("shedrowing" when the weather is bad).

It is dusty (downside).

I really like the look of brick, or cobblestone, although they can be a pain to sweep (we had blowers at a cobblestone barn I was at, which I know raises all sorts of concerns about respiratory issues, but the barn was well ventilated). And of course, they can get a bit slippery, and that makes me nervous. Sooo, I supposed my all-time favorite would be rubber mats, followed by canvas, brushed concrete, or stonedust. Yes, I said canvas! My barn at home has smooth canvas, which I think must have been put down by the owner who is into harness racing, so perhaps it's a racing thing. LOVE it!! I didn't think I would, but it sweeps up beautifully, doesn't get slippery (it absorbs moisture but dries quickly with stonedust underneath), looks nice, provides a clean flat surface when applying hoof polish, etc. It does get stained, but still looks nice and is replaceable.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

I had wondered about doing brick pavers myself. I am about to build the dirt aisle back up (previous owner just left it dirt) and was thinking about putting down paver base and using pavers.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Do you have a photo of the canvas aisle? I am intrigued....

My own preference is a clay aisle because it doesn't get slippery and is 'soft' underfoot. BUT the maintenance is a killer. I started with clay in my barn aisle and tried to replace it but the guy brought pond sand, which was terrible! Then I got it all leveled again and put down stone dust with rubber mats down the center of the 12' aisle and rubber mats coming from the stalls to the center of the aisle where the mats were so the aisle wouldn't get holes again but that didn't really work well. So I leveled again and put down rubber mats covering the entire aisle. The only thing I don't like is sometimes when we have really high humidity and rain, the mats get wet and slippery.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Another vote for stone dust.

I use a plastic leaf rake to tidy it up, which is easier and less dusty than sweeping concrete, mats, etc.

100% non-slip, even in the depths of winter, or when it gets wet, when mats and concrete can become slippery.

Only problem I've found is that the cats favour the softer edges as prime cat litter territory, but the world's most disgusting dog soon takes care of that

Quote Originally Posted by veebug22 View Post
    I really like the look of brick, or cobblestone, although they can be a pain to sweep (we had blowers at a cobblestone barn I was at, which I know raises all sorts of concerns about respiratory issues, but the barn was well ventilated). And of course, they can get a bit slippery, and that makes me nervous. Sooo, I supposed my all-time favorite would be rubber mats, followed by canvas, brushed concrete, or stonedust. Yes, I said canvas! My barn at home has smooth canvas, which I think must have been put down by the owner who is into harness racing, so perhaps it's a racing thing. LOVE it!! I didn't think I would, but it sweeps up beautifully, doesn't get slippery (it absorbs moisture but dries quickly with stonedust underneath), looks nice, provides a clean flat surface when applying hoof polish, etc. It does get stained, but still looks nice and is replaceable.
    Well, I am also in harness racing, my aisle is stonedust with an outdoor carpet on top. Comes in variety of colors right from Lowe's or Home Depot. Yes, it'll stain (I keep rubber mats over it in my grooming spot) and might rip if a horse acts up, but it looks great and is easy to sweep and in hot weather I soak the carpet and the stonedust underneath and the barn seems to stay cooler for a bit.

Sawdust over stonedust. We get green sawdust and spread it down the aisle of the barn. It dries out well and when we clean stalls, we shovel sawdust from the aisle into the stalls. If we want it to look nice, we rake it in a herringbone pattern- much quicker and easier than sweeping. I can also ride in the aisle or breed a mare if I have to.

I love the rubber pavers. So much warmer and nicer to stand on for any length of time. Plus they look very sharp. I'v noticed the older horses behave better for the farrier on the rubber then on concrete/stone dust, possibly because it is more comfortable.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.