The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default JUNE 6 CLINIC AND JUNE 7 HORSE SHOW IN COOPERSTOWN, NY PRIZE LIST

The information on the June horse show is available and up on the Farmer's Museum website www.farmersmuseum.org
    The clinic information with Scot Evans along with registration form is there too. Overnight stabling a few miles away at lovely facility.

Great horse show - - Judges this year are Timmy Kees, Scot Evans and Susie Schoelkopf. Beautiful jumps, large grass arena, luncheon; "A" show quality at affordable prices. A very nice show to bring a young horse!

Question

Hmmmm! Isn't it a bit tacky to have the clinic before the show?

Or is it only in dressage that you should not show under a judge with whom you had a lesson or clinic within a previous short period of time?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Hmmmm! Isn't it a bit tacky to have the clinic before the show?

Or is it only in dressage that you should not show under a judge with whom you had a lesson or clinic within a previous short period of time?
    I think it's probably in Dressage...This show is a low key show, locally rated, that has runned the clinic the day before a few years in a row...it's not that big a deal. A nice opportunity to ride in a good clinic and show in front of 3 very prominent judges...Alot of riders that show don't end up doing the clinic anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post

Actually, if you look at the USEF rules, clinics are specifically excluded from the restriction about judges providing instruction within 30 days before a show. GR 1304.14 in the online rulebook at www.usef.org if you care to check. Not that the show in question is USEF recognized, but just to clarify.

I've been to the Cooperstown show in the past. It really is a beautiful setting, and they make a very successful effort to make it a lovely day in the country. Huge grass ring, excellent jumps and courses, awards actually presented in the ring by the sponsors.

It's how I imagine horse shows used to be, back in the day.

The clinic is with Scot Evans.

The show is judged by the other 3 listed judges.

Default Tacky is fine... better than fine.. in the Sticks of New York

Yes, yes, it may not be USEF kosher to have Evans clinic one day and judge the next.

But you have no idea what training and showing is like up here.

I have never been to this show and clinic, but the weekend looks like it has been thoughtfully designed to benefit people who don't enjoy the same access to quality shows and help that people in, say, the Westchester County/Connecticut mecca can find every day.

Really, the weekend sounds great! Kudos to the Farmer's Museum!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Yes, yes, it may not be USEF kosher to have Evans clinic one day and judge the next.
    Have you read the rule book?

It is NOT against USEF rules to ride in a clinic with the judge before a show.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

But you have no idea what training and showing is like up here.

I have never been to this show and clinic, but the weekend looks like it has been thoughtfully designed to benefit people who don't enjoy the same access to quality shows and help that people in, say, the Westchester County/Connecticut mecca can find every day.

Really, the weekend sounds great! Kudos to the Farmer's Museum!
    Yes, you are correct. The shows are limited up in this area...It is a special show with great judges; old fashioned awards (presented in the arena), a delicious luncheon served under a tent, ample parking and more amenities then most one-day shows can offer these days. Entry fees are 10.00 a class (add backs 20.00). I am originally from Westchester where nice shows are easy to find, so I am appreciative that this show is so well put together! Hope those of you who have not been here, can make it this year as well as those who have attended in the past, will come again!

I am appreciative too!!

I make it a point to travel the extra distance to this show with my students.

The local shows in my area are scary to say the least and we always travel a good 45 minutes or more to show.

It's also a good step for my kids who are ready to go on to shows like Hits etc.

Looking forward to the show!

Nope, MNM, I have not read the USEF rule book cover to cover. I took another poster at his/her word. But I'm a fussy scholar in the non-horse part of my life, so your point is well-taken. I do know the important stuff that applies to me-- ammy vs. pro, equipment regs. and most important, medication rules. I follow those to the letter even at unrated competitions. When I don't know, I ask, and when that doesn't work, I read.

In any case, I have read the clinic description and prize list for this show and I am delighted with the way both seem to fill a major needs for those of us in a horse showing hinterland.

I'm so there. I'm even going to get with the organizers and see if they need some labor the day before.

I hope others will come and help make this a really fun, educational weekend.

We hope to see all of you there; it will be a great weekend and hopefully the weather will be warm with blue skies and a gentle breeze...doesn't that sound perfect?

Default Footing question

The whole thing is on grass, right? Do most people add studs for the occasion?

Just planning ahead for the pre-show shoeing appointment.

Thanks!

After reading this and another thread about this show, I contacted Joy to see if they had a photographer. Turns out they didn't - so we're DELIGHTED to be the official photographer for this show! The grounds look gorgeous - backdrop to die for - jumps beautiful!

We're looking forward to meeting a whole new group of folks not too far from home!

See you all in a couple weeks!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast