The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prep for IM Adequan Injection -How do you?

I intend to give the first Adequan injection tomorrow - in the neck.
    I read where the injection site must be cleaned. I have not given an injection for quite some time, but in the past I always used an alcohol prep ie the little package - and I don't have any. I see injections given without any prep - wondering why for Adequan it is recommended. Were I to use alcohol to clean - (long story, short) it appears all I have is a bottle of 70 pct Isopropyl alcohol with wintergreen and cosmetic 100 pct cotton "rounds". Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabs View Post
    I intend to give the first Adequan injection tomorrow - in the neck.
    I read where the injection site must be cleaned. I have not given an injection for quite some time, but in the past I always used an alcohol prep ie the little package - and I don't have any. I see injections given without any prep - wondering why for Adequan it is recommended. Were I to use alcohol to clean - (long story, short) it appears all I have is a bottle of 70 pct Isopropyl alcohol with wintergreen and cosmetic 100 pct cotton "rounds". Would that work?
    Unless you scrub the area for ~5 minutes, you're not doing anything significant in terms of antisepsis.

Find a clean dry area and inject there.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Unless you scrub the area for ~5 minutes, you're not doing anything significant in terms of antisepsis.

Find a clean dry area and inject there.
    Ditto, only I hear 30 minutes if you were to use rubbing alcohol. just brush his neck, use a wet towel if it makes you like, and inject.
    If it really makes you feel better you could scrub him for a while, but IMO it's kinda excessive since I like to make as little a deal out of shots as possible (horsey is afraid of needles )

I have recently been told never to use alcohol prep pads for injections because they are virtually useless in killing anything, and make the needle sting as it goes in if you don't wait for the alcohol to completely dry/evaporate.

I never prep.

Horse is clean and dry. I don't even halter her.

Same here. I just grab a little pinch of skin to distract them, then inject. No muss, no fuss and the horses barely notice. Never had any kind of reactions/infections so far...

So for the Adequan injections - you don't do anything different than other injections?
    I, too, hesitate about the alcohol - as I give myself injections - have used alcohol as a prep - and it does sting!
    My horse lives out - rolls in dirt/sand- etc - of course I would brush the area beforehand.
    That would be enough? Or as mentioned - wipe off with wet towel?
    No need to go as far as scrubbing with Betadine?
    I am asking because I have researched Adequan - and see so many references to making sure the site is very clean. I would understand for injecting into joint - but I gathered same for IM with Adequan.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabs View Post
    So for the Adequan injections - you don't do anything different than other injections?
    No. And I have been not scrubbing and injecting Adequan monthly for a couple years. And lord knows, if something was going to wrong, it would. That's just my luck.

I don't even scrub for IV Legend injections. But I do put a halter on the horse for those.

Nope, just pop it in. Done before the horse notices it.

Just did the horse's Adequan injection today.... no prep. I've never done anything for them and it's been about a year that he's had them. He's never had a reaction. Same with the IV injections I had to give him. When I was first shown how to do injections my vet said it wasn't neccesary to prep them.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I have recently been told never to use alcohol prep pads for injections because they are virtually useless in killing anything, and make the needle sting as it goes in if you don't wait for the alcohol to completely dry/evaporate.
    Me too.

I don't do much of anything. A few strokes of the neck (which is common, it's not a signal that I'm about to pounce ) just to say "hello there, I'm here", then I stick, a few more strokes to say good boy, inject slowly, and I'm done. A few VERY firm massaging type strokes to disperse things a little, and that's that.

Prep for IM shots:
    Draw meds out
    Go to horse
    Pat horse
    Stick needle in

This may vary, especially if you have a needle shy horse, but other than finding or making a clean spot on a horse, I've never worried about it (and never had a problem).

Grab the tail, pat the horse on the butt (hamstring) a couple of times. Inject.

I'm with Ghazzu (as usual)--unless you clip and do a surgical prep, you're just as well off just going for it with a clean needle and being quick.
    Click here before you buy.

Just dittoing everyone else. I just pinch a little skin on the neck, stick, inject, remove, pat area and give cookie. Never had a problem. Good luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Just a side question, I need to refill my syringes/needles for my Adequan. (I concur with the no prep versions above) I think I got too large of a needle last time. Anyone know the right gauge needle?

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhorse2000 View Post
    Just a side question, I need to refill my syringes/needles for my Adequan. (I concur with the no prep versions above) I think I got too large of a needle last time. Anyone know the right gauge needle?
    I used an 18gauge to give Prolixin which is VERY thick.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhorse2000 View Post
    20 gauge (pink casing is universal, right?) works just fine for me. 18's are like cannons.

add me to the lack of halter, lack of prep crew, although if the horse had a muddy neck, I'd take the time to hose it off, but I plead the 5th about waiting for it to dry...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    20 gauge (pink casing is universal, right?)
    Color is not universal. Monoject 20 g are pink, but other brands are not.

I also use 20 g 1.5" for Adequan.

The prep advice is strictly CYA for the drug companies so you don't sue them for a secondary injection site infection and they can always say the injection site was not clean enough if you try.

Come on, it's a barn animal that rolls in sh*t, how clean are you going to get that with a 1 inch square towlette on a 1200 pound animal with a bazillion square inches of skin surface?

I always keep mine clean enough and just pick a cleaner spot for injections. They stay nice and relaxed so the needle slides right in...as opposed to tensing up when you put frigid feeling alcohol next to the skin to let them know that sticker is coming.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Color is not universal. Monoject 20 g are pink, but other brands are not.

I also use 20 g 1.5" for Adequan.
    oh wait... there's another brand?

No, silly me, I thought i bought a diff't brand and it was still pink, but I'm thinking it was most likely the difference between aluminum and plastic hub, but still monoject. Hate non-aluminum hubs, btw.

Still, my pea brain thought it would be a good idea if there was a standard color scheme, might make it less likely to reach for the wrong gauge in an emergency. Just goes to show I have hung around JCAHO and NCQA types for too long!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.