The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rule Clarification Please

Is a short stirrup rider allowed to show multiple horses in the SS division? I cannot find anywhere that this is/is not stated, but it seems to me that this type of thing should jsut be allowed in "horse/pony" divisions, not divisions that have EQ included such as short stirrup and pre-childrens

I know of a kid who has shown multiple ponies in the SS at A shows so I am assuming it is legal.
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor!

I don't know about legal or not, but it seems to me like it really goes against the intent of SS classes. They're for beginners who are just starting to show, aren't they? Also, they're not a rated division.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    I don't know about legal or not, but it seems to me like it really goes against the intent of SS classes. They're for beginners who are just starting to show, aren't they? Also, they're not a rated division.
    That is my take on it. THis was a "C" show today, where a kid (who was really a much better rider than what I normally consider SS) rode two horses in the division. I have never seen anyone do that in SS or pre-childrens, and would frankly never do it myself. I consider both of those "stepping stone" divisions where it is frankly the horse/rider combination that is being judged (since those divisions have their own EQ classes and kids don't show in the "age group" EQ. I know that they were "padding" the class for points, and I know that is done all the time in other divisions like pony hunter etc, but my rider's parents were disturbed by it and I felt it wasn't exactly "kosher". Looked it up on the NCHJA website and they don't have anything prohibiting it that I can find, but I felt it was in bad taste

There was a kid in one of my old barns that would show multiple ponies in the SS division. Her parents had the cash to buy several nice ponies and wanted to for their daughter so they went out and bought a small, a medium and a large. The kid wasn't ready to do more then ss so that's what the trainer put her in, not showing was not an option according to both the parents and the kid. She was a beginner just starting out, she just happened to have several nice ponies to start out on. Once she got the miles she moved on to the pony divisions.

:shrug: It's prob a good lesson for the kid and her parents things are very rarely kosher in the world of showing sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by WorthTheWait95 View Post
    There was a kid in one of my old barns that would show multiple ponies in the SS division. Her parents had the cash to buy several nice ponies and wanted to for their daughter so they went out and bought a small, a medium and a large. The kid wasn't ready to do more then ss so that's what the trainer put her in, not showing was not an option according to both the parents and the kid. She was a beginner just starting out, she just happened to have several nice ponies to start out on. Once she got the miles she moved on to the pony divisions.

:shrug: It's prob a good lesson for the kid and her parents things are very rarely kosher in the world of showing sadly.
    Yeah I guess, just haven't seen it, granted we pretty much stay at the local and "C" shows, not the "A"s which I could see it being more prevalent there.

Was it a USEF recognized show? Did it include an equitation class?

If you look at http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2009/11-EQ.pdf specifically EQ 104.3, it refers to the rider staying on one horse for all phases of a class.

I would not have a problem with multiple rides in any hunter division, even short stirrup hunters, but if it includes equitation, that sounds to me like it's against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Was it a USEF recognized show? Did it include an equitation class?

If you look at http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2009/11-EQ.pdf specifically EQ 104.3, it refers to the rider staying on one horse for all phases of a class.

I would not have a problem with multiple rides in any hunter division, even short stirrup hunters, but if it includes equitation, that sounds to me like it's against the rules.

Yes that is what I thought, as SS (as well as pre-childrens) here have their OWN EQ on the flat and EQ over fences. Our shows are not exactly USEF rated (I know that also is weird!). NCHJA is a USEF "affiliate" and they do "C" shows and "A" shows, the "A"s are USEF, the "C"s are not true USEF rated shows.

As long as she didn't ride multiple horses in the actual equitation class, I don't see the problem. Any rules addressing this issue are going to vary from area to area.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yep, you can ride as many as you want in the hunter over fences, but only one in the equ.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

If its ss HUNTER you can, if its ss Eq no.

SS is not rated on a national level. Rules are determined by whatever affiliate organization offers points in the show. They may be held at a USEF rated show and fall under the umbella of USEF conditions (drug test etc.) but USEF does not participate in any eligibility issues, set any class requirements or offer any points. Thats' done solely by the USHJA affiliate organization that does offer points.

So, say, if the namethestate HJA says a kid can not show SS Eq and 11 and under Eq they can't but if the nameanotherstate HJA has no such restriction, they can. But of their affiliate HJA says they can? Or show more then one? They can.

Any issues you may have need to be directed to your namethestate HJA in the form of a review and/or proposed rule change.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Some associations have a 2 pony limit in the SS hunter and one only for the equitation.

yes but only in the Hunters, NOT the SS eq.

but that would kind of defeat the purpose of SS in my opinion, but hey if the SS kid has 2 SS ponies then why not.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Back in the day (late 80's), I often showed 2 ponies in SS the year I did it. I had my regular SS pony then I usually had a for-sale pony too, but those changed from show to show. I don't remember ever having a problem with it.

I've seen it done at NC C shows and as a mom, it doesn't bother me. The child had two ponies; one an absolute packer and the other, a green, fancy thing. I think the child probably learned a ton and the packer kept her confidence up. If you can afford it, it certainly increases your child's learning opportunities at a show.