The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Odd Situation at Charles Town 3/28/09

First race. A horse trained by Joan Reynolds leaves the gate and is pulled up about 3 seconds after the gate is opened. After watching the head-on the horse didn't appear to break down, but was pulled up and I couldn't tell if it was in distress or just fighting the rider because it wanted to run. It was vanned off according to equibase. That's not the odd part.

After that happened, the stewards repeatedly paged for Joan Reynolds to call them "IMMEDIATELY".

It was a $4,000 claiming race.

Anyone have any guesses as to what the judges wanted? Running a lame horse in hopes it would get claimed and instructed the rider to pull it up immediately??? That's about all I can think of.

I'm not calling Joan Reynolds out or anything, I'm just real curious what the deal was. Any Charles Town people know?

I heard the rider was fined $1000.00

I can believe it. It's like he left the gate with the intention of pulling the horse up. I'm sure Ms. Reynolds got a healthy fine as well if they did indeed fine the rider (unless he took the fall for it).

Default No foul by Joan

I watched the race, I know Joan and was there to hear the aftermath. The rider did not like the way the horse felt the state vet saw nothing wrong with the horse(thats a first) told the jock he could have a change of rider, but fearig she would fire him off all her horses he opted to ride. So the jock pulled the horse up out of the gate and said it took a bad step. The state vet watched it jog again said he still saw nothing wrong and told the stewards what had insued. The stewards fined the rider for failure to try and the horse does not have to return to Charlestown to work. The jock has been fired from her horses.
    Another rider this week took a horse that she did'nt like to the vet, was given option to change riders she opted to ride and the horse trailed the field, she did not attempt to pull it up just let it gallop around. She was also fined for failure to try.

I saw the same thing happen years ago. Was running a horse for someone at the Northampton Fair. Horse was an old warrior, gnarly ankles but racing sound. Trainer put an older fair circuit rider on who hadn't been on this horse before. They sprung the latch, rider immediately stood straight up and snatched him hard. But he was unable to pull him up. He made a circuit of the track on the outside fence with the rider waterskiing, and the horse running with his head straight up and mouth wide open.
    I went to pick the horse up after the race, rider had bailed before they got back to the unsaddling area, outrider brought the horse back, said rider claimed he felt bad. How can he say that when he never really rode him? Literally, as soon as the gate opened he snatched him.
    Trainer was furious. Horse ran back and was second by a nose next time out a week later. He claimed the rider pulled him for his own reason, because he had plenty of time to take off him before the start of the race but didn't.
    Riders are people who make their own assessments, and you don't always have control over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Muleskick View Post
    I watched the race, I know Joan and was there to hear the aftermath. The rider did not like the way the horse felt the state vet saw nothing wrong with the horse(thats a first) told the jock he could have a change of rider, but fearig she would fire him off all her horses he opted to ride. So the jock pulled the horse up out of the gate and said it took a bad step. The state vet watched it jog again said he still saw nothing wrong and told the stewards what had insued. The stewards fined the rider for failure to try and the horse does not have to return to Charlestown to work. The jock has been fired from her horses.
    Another rider this week took a horse that she did'nt like to the vet, was given option to change riders she opted to ride and the horse trailed the field, she did not attempt to pull it up just let it gallop around. She was also fined for failure to try.
    Interesting. I just figured that vet would have scratched if there was anything wrong with the horse, but then again he scratches horses because they have high knee action, but totally sound.

Wow! If I was Joan, I'm sure I would be furious!!! I know that Jockeys are their own people who make their own decisions, but the Jocks have to trust the Vet's opinion on whether a horse is sound to race. And it sounds like the Jock was given the chance to take off his mount that he "didn't like" to feel of. He made the decision to stay on the horse, so he should have rode it!

Wow - I'm so glad the stewards caught wind of this. In my eyes, that seems like a low-down thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyRide View Post
    but the Jocks have to trust the Vet's opinion on whether a horse is sound to race.
    While I suppose that's true, and this may not apply in THIS specific case, it is possible for things to be wrong with horses that vets and trainers don't catch. My own horse felt off to me for a while, and everyone kept telling me it was ok. A vet told me I'd brought them a sound horse. A professional trainer I respect said he was just being lazy. But I could feel it, and in the end I was right that there was a problem (pedal osteitis, and some inflammation in a knee, time off, injections, and new farrier seems to have solved it).

Would the horse have broken down or been severely injured if raced? Who knows. And in all likelihood this specific instance isn't like my situation at all. JUST piping up that there can be things wrong with horses that don't "show" and a rider just feels.

I don't know who the jockey is or anything else, and I can totally see why trainer and stewards would be pissed here, but I do wonder about situations like these.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    While I suppose that's true, and this may not apply in THIS specific case, it is possible for things to be wrong with horses that vets and trainers don't catch. My own horse felt off to me for a while, and everyone kept telling me it was ok. A vet told me I'd brought them a sound horse. A professional trainer I respect said he was just being lazy. But I could feel it, and in the end I was right that there was a problem (pedal osteitis, and some inflammation in a knee, time off, injections, and new farrier seems to have solved it).

Would the horse have broken down or been severely injured if raced? Who knows. And in all likelihood this specific instance isn't like my situation at all. JUST piping up that there can be things wrong with horses that don't "show" and a rider just feels.

I don't know who the jockey is or anything else, and I can totally see why trainer and stewards would be pissed here, but I do wonder about situations like these.
    There are two seperate, but related, issues. The jockey can decide to get off the horse and refuse to ride if he feels his personal safety is jeopardized by what he thinks to be an unsound horse. In this case the jockey had that oppurtunity, but he chose to stay on the horse and be loaded in the gate.
    The descision as to whether the horse is sound enough to run is made by the trainer and or vet.
    By pulling the horse up immediately he is making a descion that is not his to make. He is lucky he got off with a slap on the wrist $1k fine.

That really stinks for Joan.

I just had to find out what rider it was... interesting... the horse was even 2-1 morning line.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Chad Murphy did that to one of ours once - a nice gelding named Pirate Ship. Pulled him up down the backside, vanned him off, came back to barn and jogged 100% sound, as witnessed by the state vet, Dr Day. That horse would colic once every 6 weeks or so and was on GG from the day we got him. Couple years later for a different trainer, same owner (horse went to Chicago) horse colicked badly enough to operate - during surgery they found a tumor the size of a football in his gut. So after two years of thinking he had been pulled up for no reason we finally got the reason why he might have felt terrible underneath the jock.

Hope they find some reason to give this trainer some ease of mind. But yeah, if they don't, that just SUCKS for the owner and trainer. Jocks have a moral obligation to take off IF they aren't going to ride 100%. But they don't want to give up the stables because of one horse, so they give that horse a half hearted effort, or worse - pull the sucker up. Sorry to the trainer that her jock yanked her horse up outa the gate, thats terrible.
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Hopefully such oddities won't occur when HRTV is there live for the coverage of the Charles Town Classic day April 18th