The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Default NYT article today on a race trainer and the mares sent to slaughter?

What's up with that???
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

There is a several page long thread in the off course forum. BTW he is not a trainer.

I think the article was self explanatory, and I believe if I remember correctly it was the owner, not the trainer, but Icould be wrong on that.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

sorry - missed the OC thread and as I am not a resident scholar of all things racing, I may have missed that he was the owner, not trainer.

Sigh, just not a nice story, whatever true or not. I was just suprised it made the NYT - I suspect this is happening in many places.
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

I think this is making the news because he is is a very high profile owner. He has one of the highest priced studs in the business and has many horses running at a high level. I guess that makes people's expectations go up more than some small time owner hoping to keep feed in the tubs.

Also, the mares are in horrendous condition. I've seen a lot of broodmares dumped at cheap sales, but never in such bad condition. Paragallo posted a lengthy explanation on thoroughbredchampions.com that just doesn't hold water.

Links please. I went to the NYT online & searched several words & came up with nothing. COTH uproar link too please.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

If you ask him the "owner" will say he's not the owner, he's the "Authorized agent for Paraneck Stable" which his children "own." He also is the de facto "trainer" even though he has no license to train. He hires trainers whose job it is to put their name in the trainer box on the entry sheets.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Links please. I went to the NYT online & searched several words & came up with nothing. COTH uproar link too please.
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=197602

Plenty of other links within the above thread. Appalling.

Pretty hideous story.

Oh, & interesting the comment, "He also said that the workers on his farm could not have urged Baiardi to take the horses or anything else. “None of them speak English,” he said." What, only hire non English speakers to make it difficult to get the word out about hideous conditions?!

Call me naive, but I am writing I am writing Taylor Made. They probably won't give a rat's behind, since it is all about the money. But I have to say something!

To quote (Spook Express) on TBC message board: "An investigation should be started and if Paraneck is truly responsible, they should lose their stalls in NY." Absolutely solid idea!
    Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; Apr. 5, 2009 at 12:25 AM.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Frankly if NYRA had any guts they'd install the same rule as Suffolk Downs and at least prevent reoccurances of this sort. I as much as anyone would love to see this guy banished from NYRA tracks the rub is that he hasn't violated any racing rule to do just that.

Clearly this isn't his first time for having a direct ownership link with neglect - Paragallo had horses rescued from his Center Brook Farm in 2007:

Paragallo, who was at Aqueduct on Saturday watching his colt Cellar Dweller finish sixth in the $750,000 Wood Memorial, said he had given horses away from his farm in Climax, N.Y., around that time but said he was not aware that they were in poor shape.
    One can only hope Paragallo will suffer from karma ...

The horses didn't go from the track but from his farm where they had apparently been neglected.
    He should lose his license though.
    F O.B

He should lose more than his license!

This is disgusting, you win 20 million and starve those that "aren't good enough?" There is no excuse for this AT ALL. His explanations make me ill.

Racing needs to clean up its act before the PETA and Humane Society come after them.

Horses get the very best care at the track, but obviously not at that breeding farm.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Per the digging by Ray Paulick and his report today - Paragallo isn't a licensed owner in NYS as it was revoked in 2005 and has never been reinstated.

"Nice" article from the NY Daily News --reportedly, he was the breeder/owner.

Ernie Paragallo: I was wrong on horses
    BY Jerry Bossert
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, April 4th 2009, 9:30 PM

Ernie Paragallo admits he was wrong. The prominent thoroughbred owner and breeder blames nobody but himself for the actions that may have resulted in the death of 17 racehorses.

"It's a terrible situation," Paragallo said after finding out that horses he bred and raised were possibly sent to a slaughterhouse in Canada instead of to a Florida breeding farm. "I don't know where they are."

According to Paragallo, 24 mares were picked up at his Center Brook Farm in Climax, N.Y., in December to be shipped to a farm in Florida where they would be bred.

Instead, they ended up in a New York kill pen. Three were saved when purchased by a woman, who contacted a rescue farm called Another Chance 4 Horses, which then saved four more two weeks ago. The incident was reported this week on the horse racing Web site Paulickreport.com.

The Paragallo mares were examined by the veterinarian for AC4H, and were given physicals, which determined they were suffering from the effects of long-term neglect. Some were severely underweight, loaded with worms and infested with lice.

Horse transporter Richard Baiardi said the horses he picked up from Paragallo's farm were in poor condition and never would have survived the trip to Florida.

"One died not even 90 miles into the trip," said Baiardi, who claimed he picked up the horses in February. "How were they supposed to make the 1,290-mile trip? I got in touch with the rescue farm. They were so skinny."

Baiardi, who sold the horses to the kill pen for $680 because he said he had no other choice, believes it's not Paragallo's fault, but the fault of his help at his farm. "I can't blame Ernie," Baiardi said. "He's at the track, but at the same time he's got to keep eyes on his farm."

The farm is 130 miles north of Aqueduct, where Paragallo's horse, Cellar Dweller, finished sixth in Saturday's Wood Memoria. Paragallo claims he feeds his horses 14 tons of hay and 5,000 pounds of feed a week and that they were not in that poor shape when they left his farm. He admitted some of the horses at his farm were "skinny" as a result of dominant horses scaring off others. "Some were skinny but others looked like elephants," Paragallo said.

Paragallo said the feeding procedure has been changed. "Of course it's a wake-up call," Paragallo said. "It's a tragedy and totally my responsibility. It was a major screw-up, but I'd never send my horses to the killers."

The New York Racing Association, which operates Aqueduct, Belmont and Saratoga race tracks in New York, said it will investigate the matter.

The rescue farm is looking for donations to help care for all its horses. For more information, check out their Web site at www.ac4h.com.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Per the digging by Ray Paulick and his report today - Paragallo isn't a licensed owner in NYS as it was revoked in 2005 and has never been reinstated.
    Which is why his children are listed as "owners".
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    That was my point in post #8. This has been widely known in NY for years.

The mares were never bound for FLA. EP gives that away when he tried to say that they were to be bred to his NY stallions as part of the deal. Uh, if they were to be bred to NY stallions, why was he shipping them to FLA at the start of breeding season? Oh, right, they were not going to Florida.
    F O.B

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    If you ask him the "owner" will say he's not the owner, he's the "Authorized agent for Paraneck Stable" which his children "own." He also is the de facto "trainer" even though he has no license to train. He hires trainers whose job it is to put their name in the trainer box on the entry sheets.
    Sorry Linny - indeed you cited this well before my link to the Paulick Report.

A good point raised by another is his choice of trainer: John P. Campo Jr. (His dad was best know for his brash remarks with Pleasant Colony to Jim McKay on ABC). Campo's brother is Paul Campo, known as P. J., the racing secretary of the New York Racing Association.

If you think PJ is going to cause a lot of grief for his brother's big client think again. Maybe only if the NY Times (and other media sources) continues to shame them into something.

Quote Originally Posted by InWhyCee Redux View Post
    "
    "One died not even 90 miles into the trip," said Baiardi, who claimed he picked up the horses in February. "How were they supposed to make the 1,290-mile trip? I got in touch with the rescue farm. They were so skinny."
    WHAT?!
    First mention of that, and first mention of HIM contacting the rescue... BS.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Look at this, I didn't even know this was possible.

In related news, The Jockey Club board of stewards held a regularly scheduled meeting April 7 and unanimously endorsed the following statement from Ogden Mills "Dinny" Phipps, chairman of The Jockey Club. It is being issued in the wake of the Paragallo situation.

Said Phipps: "The Jockey Club fully supports and assists law enforcement agencies, the courts, and racing regulatory authorities in the investigation of matters involving animal cruelty.

“Furthermore, pursuant to Section V, Rule 19A (4) of the Principal Rules and Requirements of The American Stud Book, The Jockey Club reserves the right to deny any or all of the privileges of The American Stud Book to any person or entity when there is a final determination by a court, an official tribunal, or an official racing body that such person has killed, abandoned, mistreated, neglected, or abused, or otherwise committed an act of cruelty to a horse.

“The Jockey Club has invoked this rule in the past and will not hesitate to do so again when appropriate. The Jockey Club maintains a long-held conviction that owners are responsible and should be held accountable for the care, well-being, and humane treatment of their Thoroughbred horses.”