The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Jingles needed for newborn and thanks to a wonderful vet staff at UGA

Breeding is a tough career choice-no doubt. Last week I had to put to sleep an 11 yr old broodmare that was due in 6 weeks due to cancer.

Tuesday night at 11:20, we had a very large-150lb- colt, born to our senior 17 yr old broodmare. At first, everything appeared normal. I attended the birth, 25 minutes total with no dystocia obvious. The mare rested for about 15 minutes before standing and breaking the umbilical cord. The colt remained recumbant, but bright and sucking my fingers and everything he could get his mouth on.
    After an hour I milked the mare and bottle fed the colt then left the stall to attend a second foaling down the aisle. ( HEALTHY FILLY)The colt still had not stood at 2 hours old. Both my husband and I tried for over an hour to assit this colt in standing to no avail. Having experienced this before, I started to milk the mare and bottle feed 4 to 8 oz every hour. At 9 hours old, the colt stood with alot of assitance and stumbled around the stall. At this point, I called the local vet out,recognising a "dummy foal syndrome" and requested a referal to UGA. I called my farrier and handyman at home to help carry this colt onto the trailer. My husband rode in the back with mom and son all the way to GA.

We arrived at UGA at 6 PM(It is a 3+ hour drive from our farm in NC) to be met by a team of Resident, ER Intern and several students with a gurney. Even before the colt was put on the gurney, the mare was given a mild tranq so that she could handle the situation. Events moved at a blinding pace, rolled into the ICU, with IV started, Igg run ( greater than 800 on the snap test)arterial blood pulled, Oxygen started and a complete physical done by two vets and a student all within less than an hour. A course of action was outlined, attending vet contacted, and everything explained to me as it was done. An NG- feeding- tube took some time as the colt, who still had a very good suck reflex, refused to swallow.
    After recieving the bloodwork back with a low Oxygen level and low protien, a bag of plasma was given, antibiotics started and another Blood gas run showing a response to treatment.

I have recieved at least a twice daily update from the attending and the student assigned to his case, until yesterday when he was moved from ICU to the main hospital. Now, the attending calls once a day. He has been rolled and placed sternal every hour as well as assisted with standing. Yesterday managed to stand a few times on his own. He is still not nursing from his dam as he sticks his tounge out to the side, not centered. His mother is a saint, allows a chair to be placed under her and is milked hourly. His prognosis is good, but today bloodwork showed some luekopenia and there is some concern about septicemia. So far no joint involvement. They will ultrasound the umblicus this afternoon to see if there is an abscess there from laying recombent the first three days. The attending is looking forward to watching this guy walk to the scales on his own tomorrow as his balance is much improved. Enough to run around his dam in the stall.

Please send your jingles to this guy. We are still trying out names for him. Need a "D"
    Currently liver chestnut with a blaze and three stockings but will grey. By Don Principe out of Windsong. Need something with a music connection as all her foals have composer names or the word "song" in them. Playing with "Dylan" as in Bob or "Daltry" as in Roger. But I usually like something classical but am open to suggestions.

Forgive the spelling as I am watching two more as I write this and am a bit sleep deprived.

Maryanna Haymon
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2007 USEF Breeder of the Year!

Jingling like mad for the baby, Maryanna. It sounds like he is in very good hands! Debussey?

PA sized jingles headed your way for the little Dude!

More PA jingles
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Jingling like mad from CA!

Jingles from New York for the little guy!

Cindy
    Watching Hawk Arabians
    Home of ZEGAS
    *Ganges x Zabrynka
    http://www.watchinghawkarabians.com

Jingles!
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Hey Mary Lou,
    Great minds think alike LOL!!! His full brother, now three is named "DeBussey".

Maryanna Haymon
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2007 USEF Breeder of the Year!

Jingles for your big fellow!

sending jingles for your baby, and huge condolences on the loss of your mare.

I like the name Daltry, and Debussy.
    Blackstallion, I think you might be thinking of Blue Bayou (by LR).
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Sending loads of Jingles fr the baby boy and for you.

You are definitely doing everything possible for the little guy. Jingling for a complete recovery in no time.

Maryanna,

Sending lots of jingles for your foal and very sorry to hear the loss of your mare and her unborn foal.

Right, I think I am confusing 2 old songs ..
    how about Drum Roll

I vote for "Death Defying" =]

UGA took great care of the OTTB I purchased sight unseen, had shipped to GA, [while I was in school in NJ], and who 3 days later was deathly ill with a colitis infection. They treated him for 10 days, phoning me regularly and informing me that he was flipping his feed bucket over whenever he was hungry -- when it was touch and go decisions as to putting him to sleep.

He had an appointment for euth when I was informed about the feed bin flipping, and I begged my mom to go see if he had a spark in his eye still. She wanted to know how she would know, I had no clue having never met him. She called back 3 hours later and said he threw his feed bin at her. With my bank account running out of $$ quickly, they kept him overnight and saw him improve greatly. He's alive now, 2 years later, all because of a hunch.

His name is Always the Optimist =]
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Sending lots of jingles Maryanna! I hope he rallies fast!

How about Degas? Like Dagas and the Dancer.

Hoping he's doing well now. We spoke the morning after his birth. I knew at that time you were optimistic that he was going to stand up by himself later that day. So sorry you had to take him to UGA.
    You mentioned the 3 hr trailer ride. I love where I live & never plan to move but if I did it would be to either the Ocala or Kentucky area next door to a great equine clinic!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Jingling like mad!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I'm confident that your colt will be fine.... Jingles nevertheless, but know that he will be ok.

Names -
    Dvorak (pronounced Dvoarshak)
    Delius
    DiOrio
    Dubois
    Drechsler
    Donato
    Dorizetti

Best,
    Siegi
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Very sorry to hear about your mare with cancer and her unborn foal.

Jingling like crazy for your colt!
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook