The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you all realize this is the Tabloid of the horse world?

Everyday there is a new "shock" thread, a new horse killed in action, tortured, ravaging the countryside...

The National Enquirer or Star of Equines?

Where do you all find this stuff?
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

I'm waiting to see the thread:
    I Bred My Mare To An Alien Elvis And She Foaled A Bigfoot!

Then it would be the National Enquirer.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post

Then it would be the National Enquirer.
    The National Enquirer used to be filled with just such stories (really!)....more than the 'Oprah left me at the alter' stuff in there now.

**this, according to my father, who only subscribed to NE for the 'animal stories.'

Weekly World News was where it was at, IMO. Too bad they shut down. I would like to see COTH become more like that...after awhile, the slaughter and NH threads become so predictable.

Newsflash:

Pat Parelli and his Gypsy Vanner attended a Big Lick TWH show. After removing the chains and pads, he proceeded to gallop around the grounds and the arena jumping everything in sight including picnic tables, chairs, and golf carts while singing the star spangled banner... with no helmet, bridle, or saddle.

Meanwhile outside in the warm up ring.... three women, a midget, and a man with a huge beer gut were seen torturing a horse while it was preparing for the next class. They were attempting to get the horse to jump over PETA protestors while shocking it with a remote control device..

Then... in the Barns, somebody yelled CRAZY HORSE LOOSE over the PA, Run for your lives.... several minutes later something resembling a horse, hony, or donkey ran out of the barn with it's teeth bared. It ran into the ring bit Pat Parelli on the A$$ and proceeded to parade around the ring with a piece of ripped jeans from Parelli's Wranglers hanging from it's mouth..

Someone outside said... get a gun... get a gun....

Parelli said NOOOOOO get the Carrot Stick, Get the Carrot Stick...

A British man appeared saying, YOU AMERICANS ARE BLOODY CRAZY, Damn Yanks... you can't get anything right....

The next day a heated debate on the BB's recounted the event's activites, eventually declaring it all a hoax, the poster a liar, while starting to get the book deal rights in order ... you know just in case...

BTW, Don't tell PETA...

Just an average day on Outside Course on COTH.

One of a Kind Studio
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

...the next day, the ripped piece of material from Parelli's @$$ was being sold on eBay with bids starting at $5000....

then....

from the ebay money the person appeared on Oprah recounting the story. A book followed and a tv movie on Lifetime TV.

People around the world were shocked by the graphic detail and conditions of the event..

Horse owners around the world were put on notice, control your horses or ELSE!
    One of a Kind Studio
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

Coming up...

Horse that Walks on Water, is it the new Horse Jesus? Will he save us all?

Stay tuned....
    One of a Kind Studio
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

My point of this is..

Why are people so insistant on posting all these Sensational Headliner shock threads?

If a thread involved helping a horse in need or something fine..

to just broadcast horrifying news, horrifying slideshows, or something... what is the point?

If we want to look at that stuff all we have to do is Google horrific falls, horrific accidents, race horse dies.

Really people... it's getting really OLD.

Ok I will get off my soapbox now.

One of a Kind Studio
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    My point of this is..

Why are people so insistant on posting all these Sensational Headliner shock threads?

If a thread involved helping a horse in need or something fine..

to just broadcast horrifying news, horrifying slideshows, or something... what is the point?

If we want to look at that stuff all we have to do is Google horrific falls, horrific accidents, race horse dies.

Really people... it's getting really OLD.

Ok I will get off my soapbox now.

To play devil's advocate you certainly don't have to open the threads .

Quote Originally Posted by WorthTheWait95 View Post
    To play devil's advocate you certainly don't have to open the threads .
    I don't for the most part. It's just really apparant on here that there are many posters that feel it is their obligation to notify all of us on COTH that horrifying terrible things are occuring every day.

It's like they scour the web and newspapers so they can get a juicy thread to post on here.

I think THAT is the point of these.

I guess it's up to the mods not me to regulate it...

I am just sick of reading the headlines. They are bad enough!

One of a Kind Studio
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

But La Gringa, I thought I saw you involved in one such tread recently, saying we didn't have the right to judge it.

So am I to believe whats in the tabloids I see at the grocery counter with out judging for myself? I guess a man really did give birth to a baby with two heads then. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    But La Gringa, I thought I saw you involved in one such tread recently, saying we didn't have the right to judge it.

So am I to believe whats in the tabloids I see at the grocery counter with out judging for myself? I guess a man really did give birth to a baby with two heads then. Who knew?
    Yes in the horse euthing one. I understand this is a place for these topics.

It's really quite apparent though that a lot of people are just trying to get a juicy controversial thread going..

That's fine too I guess.

I'm not a moderator and really shouldn't judge at all...

Freedom of speech is after all an American way of life.

Tabloids are legal. LOL

Movie deals and Ebay is too. Something for everybody... It's how Fox News makes its living!

Go for it... I guess it in the end is entertainment for a certain audience.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

The sensationalism is here because there is an audience for it - DUH !

Answer - just don't go there.

Newsflash:

Pat Parelli and his Gypsy Vanner attended a Big Lick TWH show. After removing the chains and pads, he proceeded to gallop around the grounds and the arena jumping everything in sight including picnic tables, chairs, and golf carts while singing the star spangled banner... with no helmet, bridle, or saddle.

Meanwhile outside in the warm up ring.... three women, a midget, and a man with a huge beer gut were seen torturing a horse while it was preparing for the next class. They were attempting to get the horse to jump over PETA protestors while shocking it with a remote control device..

Then... in the Barns, somebody yelled CRAZY HORSE LOOSE over the PA, Run for your lives.... several minutes later something resembling a horse, hony, or donkey ran out of the barn with it's teeth bared. It ran into the ring bit Pat Parelli on the A$$ and proceeded to parade around the ring with a piece of ripped jeans from Parelli's Wranglers hanging from it's mouth..

Someone outside said... get a gun... get a gun....

Parelli said NOOOOOO get the Carrot Stick, Get the Carrot Stick...

A British man appeared saying, YOU AMERICANS ARE BLOODY CRAZY, Damn Yanks... you can't get anything right....

The next day a heated debate on the BB's recounted the event's activites, eventually declaring it all a hoax, the poster a liar, while starting to get the book deal rights in order ... you know just in case...

BTW, Don't tell PETA...

Just an average day on Outside Course on COTH.

Im sorry-- that was the funniest thing Ive read in a long time-- made my night

Yeah I was just shooting off at the mouth after some pretty amazing, horrific threads lately.

I guess it's just COTH, and it's the reason I don't post on here so often anymore.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

I know that some people do like reading the stories so they do have a place here. But there has been a lot of sad news lately. I don't even open it (I cried just watching the trailer about Royal Kaliber over on the H/J forum! ) But as long as there are people to read it, it will be posted. Same goes for the tabloids in the grocery store. (But aren't some of them so fun to read while you're standing in line? )

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    You know that would rage for pages on the Breeding Forum with more experts claiming to know the bloodlines and such. It would be one white hot source of debate

Yeah, there are a lot of sensationalist threads lately. I'm a re-rider with some confidence issues so the tragic threads are not for me. I like to read more uplifting stories and they are there, but sometimes they get bumped to the second page quickly so they're not as noticeable.

Everyday there is a new "shock" thread, a new horse killed in action, tortured, ravaging the countryside...

The National Enquirer or Star of Equines?

Where do you all find this stuff?
    it was Tommy Lee Jones in "Men in BLack" who said something like
    "This is the news" when picking up the tabloid... I think of it more like TMZ than anything else...

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.