The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Curly Coated foal?

I had a nice tall well developed filly born last night to my stallion, Cayuse Gold and Lonesome Dancer...her fifth foal. She is Colonial Spanish and the fifth foal of this cross. Interestingly, the filly has a very curly kinky coat. I've never seen a baby with a foal coat this curly. It is very short and densely kinked. I am wondering if this will shed out? Interestingly her older full brother, has a slightly wavy longer coat...but nothing like this.

I did a bit of research and found the Baskir Curly breed was derived from American Mustang stock...22 original horses. We do occasionally get curly foals in the Spanish Mustang strains of Colonial Spanish horses so that may well be where the Baskir horses got their curls. Hard to say. Very weird to have this crop out.

Do you all think this baby will keep this coat? The vet was out to do her exam and IgG and he said he'd never seen anything like her before. He almost carried her off too!

BTW, the mare is 13:2 for some size perspective. The filly is very tall and stout. I'm delighted with her. She looks like she'll roan also.

Thoughts?

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P4030007.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P4030001.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P4030006.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...P4030007-1.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P4030004.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P4030003.jpg

Just in time for my Grandkids Easter Basket! All kidding aside, I think she is very pretty, but I have no input to your questions.

Wow! Look at that! It looks really cool -- I want to touch it!

I have no idea if she'll keep it or not (totally NOT my area of expertise), but it sure looks WAY curlier than any foal I've ever seen. I've had a few that had kind of wavy coats when they were first born, but not even CLOSE to that!

Keep us posted!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

We had one like that at the ranch I worked at in Texas. Stayed like that until he was almost weaned. Couldn't tell any difference in his coat as a yearling.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

ooohhh.... mmyyyyyyy...........

not a bit of a guess re: the curly thing.

But thanks. Medicine for what ails me this evening.

It does make me wish I could feel it--silky curly or coarse curly? (um, truth be told, what I *really* need to do is bury my face right into it to be sure. (
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Silky...very silky...but very dense and kinky too. The coat is very short also..much more so than normal for one of my foals this early in the Spring. So unusual.

I think we might call her RE Golden Light...she just shimmers!

Oh she's just BEAUTIFUL, Sharon. I have no idea about the coat but it is certainly unique. She looks like a plush toy!!

Congratulations.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Congrats!! Very lovely. Ironman had a chestnut filly out of a paint mare 3 years ago with the exact same coat. I had never seen anything like it prior to that foal, but in time her coat fell out out and the nest one looked like a regular coat. I expect this one will too.

Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

That is really neat!!! We've never had anything like that, but you know they bred Curlys up at Happy Valley and that foal's coat does look just like the coats on the adult Curlys! So very cute!! Perhaps Joan who owns HV and bred them could give you some insight on if the foals looked that way too - weird!!??
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I am pretty sure that the curly gene in the BCs is dominant, though if I remember correctly a heterozygous curly horse might not be quite as curly as a homozygous one.

Though I did find this...

Recessive curly genes also exist & pop up occasionally among other equine breeds. The recessive horses have many of the same characteristics of dominant gene Curly Horses. However it is the dominant gene Curly Horses that are in breed evolution within their own right. The dominant Curly gene isolation project is in progress within the International Equine Genome Project.
    http://www.homozygous-horses.com/curly.html

There is a recessive curly gene seen in some breeds as well. Missouri Fox Trotters, Quarter Horses, Appaloosas, Arabians, Morgans, Pasos, Standardbreds, and some others, occasionally will throw a "sport" curly from two straight haired parents.
    http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/bre...urlyhorse.html

Jennifer....Happy Valley had these? I had no idea! I'll have to see if I can hook up with Joan. Thanks for that tip!

Shannon...thanks for doing that research. No doubt this is a recessive crop out if she is indeed a curly coated horse. Neither parent shows any curly traits at all.

nsm...interesting that you had a similar foal who shed out normal. It will be a long wait until midsummer when this little filly sheds out to see what happens. I'm fine with it either way but it was just so unusual.

We've had a couple of curly coated foals....but many Connemaras have curly manes and tails right into adulthood....it is a highly desirable characteristic in our breed. I have a 2008 colt that has a very unusual cowlick at the moment...or I think that is what it is. He has an unusualy soft coat and fine curly mane and tail and wickedly curly corkscrews for feathers. You can just see this odd marking on him in this picture...looks like "W" but is something in the curl of his coat. It looks like he has been branded. Your girl is lovely Congratulations. Maybe worth mentioning here....but it has long been suggested that the Connemara Ponies are of Spanish Origin....as in the Spanish Armada sinking off the coast of IRE.

Tiger

My registered Percheron stallion is a recessive curly and was born w/ a coat like that, but he also had the kinky mane and tail to go along w/ it. He was an oddity and still sorta is. Not very many of them at all and as far as I know from the ICHO is I have the only recessive curly full Percheron stallion.

His coat is like crush(ed?) velvet in the summer and in the winter he's like a wooly sheep though the coat stays very soft. He's shedding right now and it's not a fun time. He sheds in clumps and it takes a horse of that size a long time to shed completely.

He's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but I like him because he's different and his coat is hypoallergenic. Everyone that meets him just has to touch his coat to see what it feels like.

His sire and dam both had smooth/straight coats and my stallion's older full sisters are not curly.

Being he's recessive, like the red gene, it can only be shown if he's bred to another recessive, therefore he's not produced a single curly foal for me or any of the outside MO's.

HTH.

Check out the ICHO website if you want more information about curlies.

And congrats on a beautiful filly. I love buckskins.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

DDB- first of all, what a cutie and how neat on the coat!

Our paint filly last year was born with a curly coat, and VERY curly mane/tail. I figure she would outgrow it, but as a yearling she still looks like she has a perm. My vote is your baby keeps the kinks

PS - anyone heard of the curls in paints before?

What a cute baby congratulations.

I had my first encounter of a baby with curls last year lol

My TB paly colt was the same (he's also had a white star appear which was weird too!)
    I call him Crinkle (aka Aurumba) because of his curly coat..it stayed all Summer but went when he lost his baby coat.
    I have some pics that show it really well but can't post them as they are on my main computer which is broken :-(..these are from my website:

http://electrum-cremello-tb-uk.com/p...4/DSCF6450.JPG
    http://electrum-cremello-tb-uk.com/p...DSCF7132-2.JPG

My BO's full saddlebred colt born in 2007 had a coat just like that. I called him the poodle for quite some time. Once he shed out his regular coat was normal. It'll be fun to see what her coat will look like both texture and color once she sheds her baby fur.
    Member of the Redheads with Redheads clique.
    I have a blog about Sammy: http://www.sammyssaga.blogspot.com/

Thanks for everyone's inputs and complements as well. I'm totally smitten with this filly...she is a lovebug also. I think as she had a hard time learning to nurse (so so tall for that little mare) she got a lot more handling than normal. I was up with her most of the night Wed. night. The vet literally picked her up and declared her at least 80 lbs and as tall as many large breed foals he sees as a newborn. He almost carried her out of the stall and to his truck! ;-)

It is going to be very interesting to see if she hangs on to her curls or loses them. I'll have to keep you all posted on how she turns out. I will be fine either way...with or without curls. It is interesting that some keep them and some don't. I wonder how you tell the difference?

Our Horse of the America's breed forum is excited. I posted pics there. We don't get true curlies often in our breed but a breeder in Texas gets them occasionally and she had one that is someone related to this baby...same foundation stock behind it...but in our rare breed, many of our horses are somewhat related. Her colt is a year older than my filly and still very curly.

Seeing her in the bright sun today also I am certain now she is a roan also. Her little butt is silver in the sun. What an lovely little girl she will be with a silver cream body and dark points. I think we are going to name her RE Golden Light. Light for short.

goodpony...I was told the same thing about the Spanish Armada and possible Spanish Barb blood behind the Connemara breed by a long time breeder and rider of Connemaras. It makes a lot of sense when you compare them to our breed which is as close to the old Spanish horses of 500 years ago as exist in the world today. They are similar in size and even type and such talented little athletes. We are finding our little guys can really jump too..much like the Connies...they are naturals. My yearling colt..about 13 hands...a full sib to this filly...jumped a four foot gate out of deep mud the other day during a romp with his buddies! I love Connies and if I wasn't into this breed, I would have Connemaras. :-)

Ooh, she's stunning. Congrats. Will she be a keeper?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Ooh, she's stunning. Congrats. Will she be a keeper?
    Thanks! I'm not sure yet. It certainly is tempting!