The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Coggins - Vet is taking photos now. Is this new?

I received a confirmation call from my Vet's office yesterday just to verify my CC number and what I wanted done for spring shots.

Apparently this particular Vet is no longer doing the drawing of the horse's markings and will be taking photos instead.

This is to eliminate any Coggins fraud according to the receptionist.

Any others seen it done this way? Or is the new?
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

My vet has used photographs for about the past three years. So, somewhat new; I suppose it depends on how techno-savvy your vet practice is! I know others who still do drawings.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

My vet doesn't do it but I think it's a great idea. Does the vet superimpose the photo on the certificate?

Haven't heard about the photos, but our vet clinic now sends the forms out to the owner ahead of time and you are supposed to THOROUGLY document all markings - even white scars, brands, missing hair, etc. The vets are so busy that they would crudely scratch down a blaze, and it may or may not match the horse. They sent a note saying that coggins regulations have been tightened and this is part of the new procedure. This was the first year I've gotten the forms in the mail before the appointment.

This is all well and good IF personnel at equine venues actually CHECK the papers against the horse. Can't count how many times they just take the copy, stuff it in the folder and never even look at the horse.

Honestly, in all the trailering I do to endurance rides, fun shows, organized trail rides, mounted patrol work days, etc. I can't ever remember a person actually checking the papers against the horse.

My vet has been doing them like that for the last 4 years or so. There is a computer software they use that prints the coggins form with the photo and all on it and a digital signature.
    He sends me the "original" in the mail, and then emails them to me.
    I like it because if you have a color printer and print them out, they look just like the original. I also save them to a disk every year with other necessary photos and put the disk in my hurricane kit.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Once you get used to it, it's easier. Definitely more accurate descriptions, and they always get the color and markings, if not the sex and breed right.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    put the disk in my hurricane kit.
    Ok I'm sorry but I would MOVE if I lived somewhere that required a hurricane kit! Does that consist of all your stuff you don't want to lose when your house is washed away??? j/k The worst we have to worry about is being colonated by polar bears and penguins if we continue with this wicked cold weather cycle we've beeen in for two years.

We have one local vet here who does the photograph ones. They are not superiimposed, but printed out on one sheet, photos and all, sort of like a passport. I think it's a SUPER idea!

The vet's wife boards at our barn and I was asking her about it She said the only "problem" is that some barns/shows organizers have never seen them and assume they're fraudulent. She's had several calls from show organizers asking for the "original" coggins to be sent. :teehee:

I
    m going to have mine done with the photograph next year.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Perhaps a stupid question, but if a horse is passported & micro-chipped does it matter much whether the drawings are correct-ish or not?
    Can one just jot down passport & chipnumber on the Coggins instead?

Just wondering, and hoping my vets won't ask me to draw up my boys whorls, curls, scars, white spots, socks etc. for their upcoming coggins.

My vets been doing this for I think 3 years. I do know some who are still drawing.

Depends on the vet and where you live

I live in an area where EIA is present from time to time. We have some vets here who go to great pains to make sure everything is "correct" and some who are less-than-accurate.

I would think photo ID would help lesson the amount of fraud. They want the markings to match the passports and such, so yes, I would think it's important for them to be accurate.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    Perhaps a stupid question, but if a horse is passported & micro-chipped does it matter much whether the drawings are correct-ish or not?
    Can one just jot down passport & chipnumber on the Coggins instead?

Just wondering, and hoping my vets won't ask me to draw up my boys whorls, curls, scars, white spots, socks etc. for their upcoming coggins.
    I had to do the drawing, plus the chip number.

What a good idea: faster, easier, and more accurate. Sometimes technology is our friend.

I would think it might be valuable for vets to make digital photos part of the medical record in other instances, too. You could take a picture of a wound or other visually apparent situation, and then you would be able to compare it later in the week, especially if more than one vet were treating the horse, to see how it has changed with treatment and time.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

The vet who treats my greenie uses photos now -- The one who treats my retired mare still draws the markings by hand --

I'm not sure how much 'quicker' it is -- Vet's been out twice already this year on rainy days, and I'm not in a rush to take my greenie anywhere, so we keep opting to wait for the next appointment hoping for a nice day to take a picture outside --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Ok I'm sorry but I would MOVE if I lived somewhere that required a hurricane kit! Does that consist of all your stuff you don't want to lose when your house is washed away??? j/k The worst we have to worry about is being colonated by polar bears and penguins if we continue with this wicked cold weather cycle we've beeen in for two years.

I have an expandable folder that has one folder for each horse and dog on the place, with their vet and microchip etc info. Then we have a small fire safe that has all policies, wills, important papers etc all double ziploc bagged, plus my nice jewelry when I am not wearing it, and the disk for the animals, plus the video of the stuff in the house. So if we really need to we can grab both of those and haul a^&. Just pack enough clothes and stuff for a week or so and some food and water.

We live in NE FL near the Ga state line. We have never evacuated (yet) and most likely won't since DH and i are both police officers we run in when everyone else is running out.
    But we try to keep the really important stuff together so we can salvage it if needed.

NO way would I move further south. I grew up in S FL and it SUCKS
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

My vet gives us the option to do the picture or have her draw it. When I asked her if there was any possibility that this new procedure could have anything to do w/a tracking system or NAIS she said..

ummmmm... yes....

and I know what that means when she says that, with that look on her face. So I opt for the drawing.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Question for those of you whose vet has been doing the photo's for a while... Do they take new photo's every year?
    I'm asking because my vet did take photo's this year for my horses' coggins, but they are bad photo's He had a BAD trace clip when they came to take photo's & I don't want this to follow him on all his future coggins It's kinda like having a bad drivers license photo

My vet does not but he hates doing 13 coggins here because we have Paints and Appaloosas.......he grumbles that doing standardbred farms is WAY simpler.....less artwork!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    My vet does not but he hates doing 13 coggins here because we have Paints and Appaloosas.......he grumbles that doing standardbred farms is WAY simpler.....less artwork!

Until we got Buddy (see my Profile pic) my Coggins just showed pretty much plainbayhorse. Vern has a white coronet LH and that is I-T!

Then along comes Buddy - strawberry roan sabino with 4 high whites and a bald-faced blaze.

The first time my vet drew his Coggins I wondered WTH was taking so long...
    Then I noticed him trying to get it all down right..both sides

My vet will be coming to do Coggins in a week or so, I'll have to ask him about photo-certificates.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    I know what you mean! Every vet who has pulled coggins for my pintos has groaned when I pull them out!