The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down FEI Internet Live Stream WC-Finals Las Vegas blocked for ....

On the FEI website we can read that the Internet Live broadcast of the WorldCup in Las Vegas is GEO-blocked for the following countries :

France,Italy,Sweden, The Netherlanda and the USA.

http://www.feitv.premiumtv.co.uk/pag...,12664,00.html

So I think I will start selling some IP-adresses on Ebay

Why would they do that?

What countries will have the live internet broadcast and will it be free to them?

I so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyIris View Post
    Why would they do that?

What countries will have the live internet broadcast and will it be free to them?

I so confused.
    Streaming from the FEI website is not for FREE.

In the country mentioned the broadcast rights are bought by National Television. And it's no secret that they mostly broadcasts a small compilation of the equestrian sport.

But don't worry there are many roads to Rome.

Theo

Default Unreal.....

This always upsets me, there is always sooo much talk about making dressage more popular, more accessible, bla bla bla but when it comes down to it some groups are just not willing to go that extra few steps to make it possible. Now, the World Cup is in my HOME country which is a thrill but the US won't have streaming video - really, is someone smokin' crack????

Sent them an e-mail, and I am not one to send angry e-mails since they don't do a lot of good, but this makes me mad so I did.

It could very well be the case that NBC is streaming it via the internet for the USA and Canada.

It also supprises me that Germany is not on this list of GEO-blocked countries

Theo

Default Crackheads with a profit motive

Yes, they are smoking crack.... but not without hoping to turn a profit selling you your fix, too. An enterprising junkie will always find a way, of course.

If you are in the crowd with a big ass Dutch flag during either final, you will be prominently featured on Dutch television.

I'm really not against people making a profit on the hard work that they do setting up cameras and equipment, hiring operators, stuff like that; but to make the entire broadcast available only in a crappy, extensively editted, chopped up version really sucks.

In an ideal world, if these broadcasters want to turn a profit, make the videos available on-line in entirety for a reasonable price and SAVE them so people can watch them as they have time.

But to be honest, I don't know if I would pay for it and I think I speak for many others.

We've gone this long in the desert with little U.S. broadcasting of our sport... what's another competition? Why not make it freely broadcasted on-line and have sponsor banners on the side or in the beginning, much like this site or what they did with the Olympics?

Who WOULD pay for WORLD CUP broadcasting, out of curiosity?

But how about paying last week and finding out today that the WC-Finals at Vegas are not broadcasted ?! in our country

Theo,

If you paid them last week expecting to see the WC, I would demand the money back. That is just ridiculous.

I sent an angry email, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by imajicadutch View Post
    Theo,

If you paid them last week expecting to see the WC, I would demand the money back. That is just ridiculous.

On the other hand, won't there be someone from Holland doing a live stream, as well?

Does anyone know how we can see it here?
    First let me congratulate you with the recent succes of Lizz & Olivier.

Offcourse I will get the videos of Las Vegas up and running, but WHY does it allways has to be such a fuzzzzzzzz when it comes down to the USA. It's so funny and strange because in the countries where dressage is very populair (meaning you can make money out of it) all competitions, clinics,shows etc are broadcasted on TV and on the Internet for FREE.

Theo

I don't get it either.... When they finally broadcast the bits and pieces that they deem appropriate for the US viewer, they get some dummy announcer that makes it even worse. Wouldn't it be nice if somebody who actually knew about the sport (Anne Gribbons, Linda Zang, etc. etc.) commented on the top rides? Heck, the American public might actually learn something about dressage.....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

According to his blog, the US commentator on NBC Universal (not NBC) will be Robert Dover.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

It also makes anybody infringing on their (FEI/NBC) broadcast rights liable to a lawsuit.

NONE of these events are broadcast for free. The FEI SELLS the rights to broadcasters. The only thing that differs is the method of payment by the end user.

So - Theo, you should be expecting a knock on the door and a man handing you papers !

You can find the schedule for the USA broadcast here; http://www.universalsports.com/Sport...5&SPSID=105633

Channels per State here; http://www.universalsports.tv/Univer...rts_on_TV.html
    Last edited by Equibrit; Apr. 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM.

never mind. the silliness on these BBs just keeps rolling along
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

aside from that, it is common practice here for any sport- hockey, boxing, whatever, to be blocked from broadcast in the city/province where the game is being played in order to encourage spctators to go to the venue instead. They are available "Pay per view" for live broadcasts elsewhere. I think its dumb to block the local broadcasts frankly, because the big matches are always sold out so even if I wanted to, I can't get tickets to see them live. And I don't mind paying to see the live broadcasts. But our local pay per view carrier doesn't have any horse channels.

But why would anyone expect dressage sport to be different?

I am quite pleased that sometimes the Canadian Broadcasting Company will display the major Spruce Meadows tourneys for free either live or within a day or two. But alas- that's all jumping.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

What? I'm going to miss Robert Dover's debut as an announcer. Dag, I was looking forward to this and had my DVR set.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    It also makes anybody infringing on their (FEI/NBC) broadcast rights liable to a lawsuit.

NONE of these events are broadcast for free. The FEI SELLS the rights to broadcasters. The only thing that differs is the method of payment by the end user.

So - Theo, you should be expecting a knock on the door and a man handing you papers !

You can find the schedule for the USA broadcast here; http://www.universalsports.com/Sport...5&SPSID=105633

Channels per State here; http://www.universalsports.tv/Univer...rts_on_TV.html
    Can you ONLY get TV coverage from Universal Sports? B/c it sure as hell isn't available in the majority of the US.

If you don't get the channel, are you simply SOL?

I guess I should just be happy Rolex will also have a 1-hour program on NBC, so at least I'll get to see SOME of that.

I think NBC want to encourage people to lobby their Satellite/Cable companies to carry Universal Sports.

Can't they just chuck the stuff on pay-per-view, and let people pay to see it? Or pay-per-internet-view, whatever. It gets so complicated! I tried to figure out how to watch the Burghley coverage on the internet (and I would have paid a few dollars to see some of it), but it was utterly impossible to figure out where it was; or maybe it wasn't compatible with my browser or something.

I buy DVDs of events, and I order pay-per-view movies and stuff on TV. I would pay to see GOOD coverage of events online, but only if it was super easy to do - like YouTube + Paypal (I get a cut of that idea if YouTube uses it!)

I won't spend 15 minutes or more trying to register, login, navigate, download, etc.