The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default George Morris on our radio show!!! Trivia added to 1st post!

TRIVIA ALERT: We just found out that George Morris was the gas station attendant in the movie Psycho with Anthony Perkins. In our interview, we discussed his career including his brief stint as an actor and apparently, he was friends with Anthony Perkins and did have a brief spot in this film. He is not credited in the credits as it was a bit part but still cool!

GEORGE MORRIS is going to be interviewed on our radio show, Horse Talk, Saturday morning APRIL 4th 8AM EASTERN TIME. You can log onto www.wtbq.com to listen in on the interview. We are so excited and honored to have him on our show! Below is a quickie bio.

[Mods: I'm sorry to place this here as well as HJ. But we're getting a lot of interest in this and George is going to talk about his childhood, brief acting career, fear of horses, etc. I'm really sorry and I understand if you think this is advertising. I do this show for free so there's no money exchanged but I though COTH'ers would be interested in his life...He's been a pleasure to speak with on the phone and I'm excited to get the details of his life this Saturday!!!]

For those of you who don't know, I do a radio show every Saturday morning called Horse Talk. We have two other show hosts, Peter Cashman and Chip Watson. We interview horse people local to Orange County NY and, of course, nationally renown horse trainers and figures!

What: Horse Talk Radio show
    When: April 4th, Saturday morning: 8AM-9AM Eastern Standard Time
    How: You can log onto: www.wtbq.com
    Who: George Morris is going to call in and tell us about his life!! Did you know Mr. Morris had a brief acting career and a fear of horses as a youngster? We are going to get to the bottom of this.
    Where: Your computer! Simply flick it on April 4th and listen in!

Quickie Bio: George Morris is considered to be one of the most influential trainers in the history of equestrian sports and a "founding father" of Hunt Seat Equitation.

A rider with a long list of impressive wins himself, Morris first caught the attention of the equestrian world in 1952 when he won both the AHSA Hunter Seat Medal Final and the ASPCA Maclay Final - the two most prestigious junior equitation titles in the country - at the age of 14, the youngest rider ever to do so.

He went on to represent the U.S. as a member of the Gold Medal-winning USET squad at the 1959 Pan American Games. Between 1958 and 1960, he rode on eight winning Nation's Cup teams, and in later years served as Chef d'Equipe for numerous Nation's Cup teams as well.

And in 1960, at the age of 22, George Morris was the youngest member of the U.S. show jumping team which won the silver medals at the Rome Olympics. In 1988, Morris won the biggest purse in Show Jumping history at Spruce Meadows, Canada.

After the 1960 Olympics, Morris retired from competition and had a brief fling at an acting career, but he was soon back with the horses and achieved considerable success as an instructor and author. Acting? Who knew, this is what we're going to find out!

In 1963, Morris began training junior equitation riders. Morris's former students include some of the sport's top riders, including Leslie Burr Howard, Norman Dello Joio, the Leone brothers, Chris Kappler and Katie Prudent.

A well-known author of several titles, Morris's first book "Hunter Seat Equitation" is now in its third edition. Morris also writes a popular column in Practical Horseman, called "Jumping Clinic," in which he critiques the jumping positions of photos which have been submitted by readers

Morris served as a Director for both the USET and AHSA; Vice President of the American Grand Prix Association; and director of the National Horse Show Association.

George Morris developed what he calls a crest release which is commonly used in showjumping. Touted as one of his many indispensable "innovations" on the art of riding. We will discuss this on the show because even Mr. Morris feels it is overused.

(Ironically, Morris had suffered from a fear of horses during childhood. This too we'll find out about!)

Tune in to hear the answers to all these questions, acting? Fear of horses? And his renown career with horses! As George Morris says: Try it, practice it, perfect it.

When: Horse Talk has been on the air for about 6 years in Orange County NY. You can listen in at www.wtbq.com and stream radio shows live. If you're local, you can listen in at 1110AM or 99.1FM.

Hope you'll tune in and you can call in at 845-651-1110. If there are any questions you'd like us to ask George directly, e-mail them to me and I can ask him or feel free to call into the radio show April 4th!!
    Last edited by pines4equines; Apr. 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Added piece of trivia I learned...I wish I could put this in the thread title
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Default Podcast?

Is the radio show available by podcast?

I will be listening, thanks for letting us know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by blazn View Post
    Is the radio show available by podcast?
    I listen online by going to the WTBQ website:
    When: April 4th, Saturday morning: 8AM-9AM Eastern Standard Time
    How: You can log onto: www.wtbq.com

Looking forward to it P4E!!

Default Hay

We're not podcast ready but again, you can go online for now.

I just confirmed George for tomorrow!!!

Default Hay

Don't forget guys! Tomorrow morning! I'm nervous.

Default morning bump

"I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

Wow - he just admitted to being "a nervous rider"!

This is a cool interview.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

GM gives a plug to saddle seat... Mentions VHV... "To be a great rider, you have to master a LOT of seats"...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

What a wonderful interview so far.
    Im glad Im in good company as I to am a nervious rider...
    Friend of bar .ka

Default Hay

And, I had this thread in HJ and someone said that GM was in the movie Psycho with Anthony Perkins. GM said in his brief stint as an actor, he was friends with Perkins and someone on NJ said that GM is in the movie!!! SOmeone have Psycho so we can see what scene? (The old Psycho!!!)

This interview will be up on my web site this coming week, I will let you all know!!! We had Stacy Westfall on a few weeks ago and will let you know who is up and coming!!!

Thanks all for listening!!!

Default Hay

Bump so people can read the new trivia added. Does anyone have a copy of the original Psycho movie?

He is a gas station attendant in Psycho, and appears for all of 15 seconds...or so I've heard. I keep meaning to rent it!

I know it's been forever since I actually watched the movie, but I think there's a scene with a gas station attendant in the rain-so if that's GM it wouldn't be easy to spot him through the rain gear and lighting.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Hopefully you'll have him back on the show--he said he would do another interview (). Then you can confirm this information with him--since at this point it seems to be hearsay.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

Default Hay

MMorgan, I'm on it! He was a great interview! The below thread in HJ kinda answers the question about where GM was in Psycho as someone has already state above. Apparently Psyscho is playing on TCM as we speak...anyone watching?

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...=1#post4001654