The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Making No Molasses Beet Pulp tasty...

I purchased a couple of hundred pounds of pelleted beet pulp, with NO molasses, this winter. This was my first time using it. What I found was that adding alfalfa pellets or cubes to it, was enough to get my horses to gobble it down.

I used 50 pounds of alfalfa pellets to about 120-125 pounds of BP. I would have used fewer alfalfa pellets / more BP pellets but my container was what it was and I didn't want to save a partial bag of alfalfa.

I hope this helps anyone else that is using BP with no molasses if your horse is not showing an interest in it.

I put it in a container with water and a lid and use it 12 hours later.

Yes, you could also add other flavoring , like carrot or beet powder, fenucreek too

My 3 love cinnamon in their soaked beet pulp.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    My 3 love cinnamon in their soaked beet pulp.
    Yep, all of mine get cinnamon in theirs. They gobble it right up. I get those little 50 cent containers of Cinnamon at Walmart and do 3-5 dashes in their feed. But my horses get VERY little food (just enough to carry supps in) so you may need to adjust for those getting a large amount.

My two like the plain beet pulp pellets soaked with nothing added to it at all.

My horse loves the BP and tries to leave the alfalfa cubes/pellets behind, so I nixed the alfalfa (which I only added to make him eat it!).

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    Yep, all of mine get cinnamon in theirs. They gobble it right up. I get those little 50 cent containers of Cinnamon at Walmart and do 3-5 dashes in their feed. But my horses get VERY little food (just enough to carry supps in) so you may need to adjust for those getting a large amount.
    Cinnamon sounds tasty... I know that many spices are gathered and packaged overseas.... but with the problems with that melamine stuff... makes me nervous. I'll try to find a link ...

I've also heard you can add a dash of peppermint extract to the beet pulp. my pony eats it with nothing..but if the day comes when he stops, that's what i'll try...or the cinnamon!

I add a bit of grated apple or carrot and mix it in. I've heard of people adding a couple of handfuls of picked grass too.

I wonder if you can freeze grated apple/carrot/veg? I could do a big batch and just pull out what I need. Anyone know?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

don't freeze carrots. they give off nasty gases when thawed. could be potentially harmful.

This is why the alf pellets are easy. I mix those in the storage container with the BP pellets, then I scoop, add water, put a lid on it.

: ) I googled around for the melamine problem. can't find anything specific to spices other than they are frequently "doctored" with dyes for color... just makes me nervous about how cheap they are and how weak in flavor or taste compared to brand name or fresh spices. That's what makes me think they aren't very "pure".

Quote Originally Posted by gabz View Post

: ) I googled around for the melamine problem. can't find anything specific to spices other than they are frequently "doctored" with dyes for color... just makes me nervous about how cheap they are and how weak in flavor or taste compared to brand name or fresh spices. That's what makes me think they aren't very "pure".
    Well then, go for the expensive brand name. Problem solved It's the same brand I use for my own food. Haven't keeled over yet.

I used unsweetened applesauce - gradually reducing the amount of sauce I added to the feed.

don't freeze carrots. they give off nasty gases when thawed. could be potentially harmful.

They sell frozen carrots in all kinds of frozen forms at the grocery store. I would think if they gave of killer gases they might not do this.

I just add a little molasses, just a tiny bit blackstrap dark
    a lot less than beet pulp WITH molasses added

I also put a spot of molasses on the bit before riding

Carrots give off ethylene gas when thawing or rotting. Doesn't do anything except make potatoes and onions sprout, and cause apples to rot sooner.

I've used frozen then thawed carrots for decades, both for me and my horses. Never had a bit of a problem.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.