The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Saidapal View Post
    Everytime a deal has started to take strange turns in my life, and I have tried to make it work regardless, I have ended up disappointed, screwed, sorry.
    True enough! Two of my geldings came from the same type of situation...the first time, I had fallen in LOVE with a gelding I worked with, had a solid deal with his trainer, and got back from the bank to find that he was sold and gone to another trainer. Two days later, I was told about a different horse - and 15 years later, I realize how blessed I am to have HIM instead. Fast forward to this past year, and the identical thing happened...I was offered a good looking chestnut, set a pickup date, and the trainer decided to keep racing him instead of letting him go to a guaranteed good home. Two days later....guess what?
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Well the seller got back to me and said she would sell him to me for $5000, his asking price. My husband wants to stay firm on $4500, so we'll see where we go with that.

Tonight I am looking at a WB cross and my trainer called me this morning telling me of two horses she knows of for sale in my price range. One is a TB who is kind of green but totally willing and the other is a seasoned WB that knows his stuff. She said at one time he was going for 30k+ but the owners need to sell him ASAP due to the economy. I am going to ride them both tomorrow.

12 years ago I made an offer on my foundation broodmare. Full asking price. Had her vetted. Arranged a pickup time. Got a phone call the night before I was to get her that she had been sold to someone else at twice the price who showed up with cash. Called the trainer at the barn who verified. Within a couple of hours I was more angry than sad ....and getting angrier. By dinner time I was in full BITCH mode. I called the owner and gave her a piece of my mind. What did I have to lose? I'd already lost my horse. I told her that not only would I never do business with her again, but I would make sure that every show that I ever went to, every horse person that I ever ran into would know about her unsavory business practices. I wasn't nice. At all.

At 5am the next morning I got a phone call from owner who apologized and told me to come pick up my horse. 12 years later it was still one of the best purchases that I have ever made AND I did business with that owner again.

http://ironhorsefrm.com/reelproper.htm
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi La Rue View Post
    Well the seller got back to me and said she would sell him to me for $5000, his asking price. My husband wants to stay firm on $4500, so we'll see where we go with that.
    I hope you told her that $4,500 is your top offer, and you have 2 horses to see tomorrow.

I told you she'd come running after you. It was all a bluff, to get you to pay more for the horse. What an assbucket!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

FWIW, I don't think that a $4500 off on a $5000 priceis a LOWBALL offer in any way. Now $2500.............. grrrrrrr
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    12 years ago I made an offer on my foundation broodmare. Full asking price. Had her vetted. Arranged a pickup time. Got a phone call the night before I was to get her that she had been sold to someone else at twice the price who showed up with cash. Called the trainer at the barn who verified. Within a couple of hours I was more angry than sad ....and getting angrier. By dinner time I was in full BITCH mode. I called the owner and gave her a piece of my mind. What did I have to lose? I'd already lost my horse. I told her that not only would I never do business with her again, but I would make sure that every show that I ever went to, every horse person that I ever ran into would know about her unsavory business practices. I wasn't nice. At all.

At 5am the next morning I got a phone call from owner who apologized and told me to come pick up my horse. 12 years later it was still one of the best purchases that I have ever made AND I did business with that owner again.

http://ironhorsefrm.com/reelproper.htm
    Wow and you have every reason to be mad! After she vetted and you agreed to pay full price? Maybe they assumed she wouldn't vet but once she passed they upped her price? I am glad it ended up being a happy ending for you though!

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    I hope you told her that $4,500 is your top offer, and you have 2 horses to see tomorrow.

I told you she'd come running after you. It was all a bluff, to get you to pay more for the horse. What an assbucket!
    I did because it's all my husband will pay -- even if I cry to him about it lol.

Can you scrounge up the remaining $500?

would you believe I had two people do the same to me a couple of years ago? And these were 20,000 and 25,000. horses. One I looked at for the first time, took a video to show my trainer and as I was leaving she said "you have 24 hours then the price goes up 5,000". The next said "the price you saw in the ad was the 2006 price, it's January, and I want 5,000. more. Neither horse was under saddle as both were 2....so it was not a training issue.
    Needless to say, I did not take a second look and one of them hounded me for a couple of months. Too late honey!
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Can you scrounge up the remaining $500?

Yes, husband just gave in.

Wait a few more days and she will come down to $4500. Besides, you might like one of the horses you are trying tomorrow better.

Be sure and tell the seller you are looking at other horses.

Buy it and be happy you have the horse you wanted!! Good luck with him/her!!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi La Rue View Post
    Yes, husband just gave in.

LOL, good guy, but it's now a matter of principal...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

oy, Mimi La Rue - hold your horses!!! If you decide to 'buy' this horse after the 'mind game' the seller has played with you, please go back and ride this horse again. Spend several hours with the horse, and make sure that this is the horse that makes you smile. Sometimes, as happened to me, the game makes you want something that you really don't want. Does that make sense?? You should have the biggest, sh**ta** grin on your face when you're on this horse. If not, pass. Doesn't matter that you 'won' the game.

and your husband is a doll.

My only question would be, is why on earth was the horse advertised before at $12,000 and then again on another site for $5000? Why the $7,000 difference?

Yeah, Look at the other horses. Let the lying seller sweat a bit. In this economy, you might find an even nicer horse for less money.

And yes, why $12,000 and then $5000? Because of the recession?

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    Yeah, Look at the other horses. Let the lying seller sweat a bit. In this economy, you might find an even nicer horse for less money.

And yes, why $12,000 and then $5000? Because of the recession?
    Might even get it for 4k or less... play hardball...there are PLENTY of really nice horses to be had right now. there is NO reason whatsoever to let yourself get hoodwinked like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I would keep looking for a horse OP. Based on that gap in prices on various sites alone....

I would ask that question also. maybe the $12k was an old listing and she has since realized she must sell- so lowered it to get him moved?

I drastically lowered the price of my guys for different reasons. One I had xrays done on and found she has some athritis in one ankle and needs maintenance- she went from mid-5 figures to 4 due to that and being unfit now.

The other had been young and well started and shown a few times ...and sat in my field for 2 years due to pregnancy, etc. He is sound, xrayed clean, but now 2 years older and should be showing- but still sitting in the field. I dropped him drastically but he's still a lot for a prospect. I can sit on him for another year and he'll be the soundest 7yo out there!

So... there could be different reasons. Greed and ignorance (in a good way) are the most common. A lot of times we hope to get "sedimental" prices for them and it takes the unseasoned seller awhile to figure out the horse is only worth "x" no matter how much you love them! The first mare was showing successfully and I didn't put her up for sale until after I got pregnant. Then she wasn't showing. Her price honestly did a landslide in one year!

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    My only question would be, is why on earth was the horse advertised before at $12,000 and then again on another site for $5000? Why the $7,000 difference?