The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

A beginner rider where I board, is looking for his very first horse. He has a VTNT (very tiny name trainer) and they brought in a nice TB gelding (12 yo)on trial. Of course everyone had to check his tatoo out, hmmm teeth look........well what do I know?

I asked permission to watch the PPE from reputable local vet. Permission was granted. Vet checked tatoo, first letter unreadable. He hummed and hawed. "How old?" Vet checked teeth once, once again, looked at legs, checked teeth again. Vet sighed and said in his conservative estimation horse was 24 to 26 yo.

Nice horse, beginner rider devastated. Not sure what he will decide to do as he had already fallen in love.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Did vet perhaps run the tattoo through the JC registration? It's easily done online. Maybe horsey has shitty teeth and that's what's giving the vet that impression?

I only say that because it happened to me. I bought a TB gelding knowing he was 13 (had copies of his papers and checked out his tattoo # with the JC) and a vet tried to tell me that he was at least 20. His teeth were malformed to the extent that he couldn't chew his food properly, and had to be put under general sedation to have his incisors cut down, to allow proper mastication. Made him look a LOT younger once that was done! That was the horse I lost three weeks ago, at age 29. There's hope for your buyers yet.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Walk away.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Good luck to you on your next horsey trial....there are sooo many wonderful horses out there. You don't have to put up with a strange seller! You'll find that 'right' horse!!

Thanks! I am excited to see the other horse tomorrow even though I feel like I am getting burned out with the whole buying process.

I just have to remember I am not in a rush. I can ride my trainers horses in the mean time. These are all ready made horses -- horse I could never afford but are so much fun to ride.

Politely tell the seller thanks, and to get back to you if she changes their mind.

I did that once. The seller called me after we had already closed the deal and I was on my way back from the bank with the check, telling me a buyer on the east coast was interested in the mare due to her bloodlines. I could hear the lie in her voice and I was steamed that she would try to yank my chain, but I just calmly wished her luck and told her to contact me if the deal fell through.

Four hours later my phone rang, and the horse was mine at the agreed-upon price.
    --o0o--

Sorry OP, that sucks (and, holy CRAP!! TB maggie!!)

Stick to your guns and your offer. She is probably just trying to jerk you around. Let us know how it goes!
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

I'm with everyone who says walk away. At least for now.

I would give the seller the benefit of the doubt in the sense that they may not be raising the price of the horse in an active or malicious attempt to screw you. I've seen a LOT of people "suddenly realize how valuable" their horse is the minute someone else is interested in it. And I wouldn't be surprised if she had a really basic inquiry on a more expensive ad. And since you're very interested, she may be transferring that interest to the new person and assuming they'll be just as interested. It's CRAZY what the thought of money will do to people!

I will also say that I truly believe that horses come to you when you're meant to have them. If it's meant to work out then it will without you having to jump through hoops or spend more than you want. If I were to take a wild guess, I would guess that if you pass you'll get a call in a week or two weeks or a month asking if you're still interested in the horse.

Good luck!

Whew, leave that lady behind. I am sure her selling tactics and honesty are not a whole lot more ethical. You may be losing a great horse but Lord, there are billions of great horses out there.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

THE ONLY reasons a seller can increase the price after the ad is placed... and I mean THE ONLY REASONs are if it's due to more training (ie: several months have passed since ad placement and your inquiry)..
    .. and the training is proven by a traceable show record
    ... and the potential price increase is already stated in the original add. (ie: Price to increase from $5k to $7k in 90 days)

Somehow, though, I think OPs seller is a scheister.
    Run away!

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    lol. I was thinking about this today. Went to a clinic and saw a loffly horse there. Was told horse was for sale for $35K - REALLY nice horse. Well, lo and behold, cruising a sale site this afternoon, saw an ad for the horse for $20K. That's a pretty big jump.
    I think this happens a lot. There was a pony brought into a barn where daughter was taking lessons for a bit. Ok pony nothing great. Trainer is trying to sell it for another trainer. Trying to get me to lease purchase it or something with a real complicated deal. I say "no thanks' kidlet will outgrow it in no time. Has another girl ride it, who IMO is already too big for it. Pony's price is $5000 for them. I look up the pony on dreamhorse price is $3000. When I mention this to trainer you could practically see the wheels turning! Well, I guess she didn't update the price since he's had more training hmm when did that happen? Other family did end up buying him. They were happy enough I suppose. They left the barn soon after so I don't know the final outcome.

OP I too would run away!

That stinks! But run like others said and you will find the one horse for you

Recently I was looking at ads for no reason and came across an ad for a horse that I know very well. He is listed 16.3H, 17 YO, Dressage 2nd level, stadium jumper, $6K... I think hummm, anit that fishy as I know this horse and I don't remember the jumping part what so ever. Next ad I see now the horse is 17H, 18 YO, lower level dressage, jumps 2'3" a little stiff behind $4K. Now that sounds like the horse I know ... minus the 17H part

Grrr! Why do people price gouge horses?? I know a horse is worth what someone is willing to pay but when it's in an ad black and white how can you keep switching it up? Makes me feel like the seller is totally dishonest from the start!

Walk away and don't look back. There are too many nice horses out there.

Everytime a deal has started to take strange turns in my life, and I have tried to make it work regardless, I have ended up disappointed, screwed, sorry.

At the first sign of highjinx now, I walk away and don't look back. Several times I have gotten calls later on, and I've always said "no thanks".

She apparently thinks she has a hot item because people have shown interest. We will see if she feels the same down the road when she's still feeding, shoeing, vetting the horse. I'm sure most of the lookers have been tire kickers.

I agree that it was either a response to the ridiculously low offer and she was insulted and/or she read this thread.

I dunno...maybe seller thinks she is countering your low ball offer with a highball price increase. But it's odd unless the horse is receving more training and has done well at shows since the price was originally set. Then again, seller may just not be very experienced at it, or flat ignorant.

You could counter back and offer 4k with the stipulation that's it, you have a week to accept.

And, NEVER ever post on here unless you change the details and descriptions significantly. If some don't read it, they know others who do and it's a smaller world then you think.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by khorsem View Post
    I agree that it was either a response to the ridiculously low offer and she was insulted and/or she read this thread.
    Agreed, I think said person read this thread!

You gushed about the horse- thats why!

Oldest trick in the book... try to extort an extra $1500 out of the horse lover with no trainer to tell her to shut up

So just because they might have read this thread it ads 2k on to the horse? Doesn't make sense to me. Also I didn't state any names or really anyway to out this person, and that wasn't my intention to do so. I am just using this board as a place for some friendly advice. This is my first time purchasing a horse on my own -- in the past I was lucky enough to have my parents support my love for horses -- so posting here has been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubreyyy View Post
    You gushed about the horse- thats why!

Oldest trick in the book... try to extort an extra $1500 out of the horse lover with no trainer to tell her to shut up
    Yup, silly me! Next time I will totally act uninterested.

^^^

Don't worry, I'm seriously the worst at it. To the point where I wasn't even ALLOWED to come on other people's horse shopping trips before I moved away... my trainer had banned me!