The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Seller now asking more than horse sale ad? *UPDATE on page 6/post 115 :D*

Yesterday I posted about what would be a reasonable offer to a $5000 horse. Well I made an offer last night on the horse and the owner got back to me today saying she would now like to sell him for $7500. He was listed (and still is) for $5000! His ad stated and still states $5000 and would consider any reasonable offers. She said someone else made an offer on him and also someone responded to his old ad when he was listed for $12,000. Is this person trying to play me for a fool in hopes I'd jump up to the $7500 or is this kind of thing pretty common? The horse owner said we are a good match and she'd rather sell him to me than the other person who made an offer. This is my first time purchasing a horse on my "own." This is so frustrating because I wouldn't have drove out to ride him had I known his real price.
    Last edited by Mimi La Rue; Apr. 8, 2009 at 09:37 PM.

They're playing you for a sucker. If they really had a buyer on the $12,000 ad, they'd have snapped it up and then told you, "I have accepted another (higher) offer. But thanks for your interest".

I'd just say, "Well, in that case, I'm sorry you wasted MY time. My budget is $[amount of original offer], and it appears that we can't do business on that."

And even if these folks straighten up and reconsider your offer, I'd want a reference from them regarding them as horse sellers, i.e., someone who can say, "I did business with X, and the horse was as advertised and they were honest to deal with."

I hope you've seen and ridden the horse. ????
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Yes, she's playing you for a fool.

No, it's not something a reputable seller would do.

Tell the seller you hope the new buyer works out, since it's obvious they can pay more money for the horse than you can.

Chances are, she'll come running after you and give him to you at his $5,000 price tag, if of course, you want to deal with a dishonest seller.

If she'll do that on his pricetag, what else is she being dishonest about?
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    They're playing you for a sucker. If they really had a buyer on the $12,000 ad, they'd have snapped it up and then told you, "I have accepted another (higher) offer. But thanks for your interest".

I'd just say, "Well, in that case, I'm sorry you wasted MY time. My budget is $[amount of original offer], and it appears that we can't do business on that."
    I guess the person who responded to the 12k ad hasn't seen him yet and are coming out to look at him.

The ad I still see for him has him listed at 5k.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    And even if these folks straighten up and reconsider your offer, I'd want a reference from them regarding them as horse sellers, i.e., someone who can say, "I did business with X, and the horse was as advertised and they were honest to deal with."

I hope you've seen and ridden the horse. ????

Yes, I have seen and ridden the horse a couple times now. I took off work and everything. Drove 2 hours each time to see him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi La Rue View Post
    I guess the person who responded to the 12k ad hasn't seen him yet and are coming out to look at him.
    Yeah, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I'm willing to sell, too!

That was just to make you want the horse more, and agree to her higher price.

Run, don't walk from this seller. There are plenty of good, honest sellers out there with nice horses. You don't need this crap.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Yes, she's playing you for a fool.

No, it's not something a reputable seller would do.

Tell the seller you hope the new buyer works out, since it's obvious they can pay more money for the horse than you can.

Chances are, she'll come running after you and give him to you at his $5,000 price tag, if of course, you want to deal with a dishonest seller.

If she'll do that on his pricetag, what else is she being dishonest about?
    Yeah who knows. I said $4500 is the most I can do, which it is.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Yeah, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I'm willing to sell, too!

That was just to make you want the horse more, and agree to her higher price.

Run, don't walk from this seller. There are plenty of good, honest sellers out there with nice horses. You don't need this crap.
    Yup, so true. How am I to believe all the stuff she told me about him now?

When we were looking at a horse the owner did say that she had received an offer on the horse but would rather the horse went to us and was only asking $500 more. We thought about it and did end up taking him. When we switched trainers we actually met the girl who had wanted to buy the horse But that seems to be a steep increase in price, I would wonder about it too.

Quote Originally Posted by dghunter View Post
    When we were looking at a horse the owner did say that she had received an offer on the horse but would rather the horse went to us and was only asking $500 more. We thought about it and did end up taking him. When we switched trainers we actually met the girl who had wanted to buy the horse But that seems to be a steep increase in price, I would wonder about it too.

I wouldn't mind $500, but $2500 is a little insane.

I wouldn't mind $500, but $2500 is a little insane.

Do you suppose the seller read this thread???? Well the other thread really.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Yesterday I posted about what would be a reasonable offer to a $5000 horse. Well I made an offer last night on the horse and the owner got back to me today saying she would now like to sell him for $7500. He was listed (and still is) for $5000! His ad stated and still states $5000 and would consider any reasonable offers. She said someone else made an offer on him and also someone responded to his old ad when he was listed for $12,000. Is this person trying to play me for a fool in hopes I'd jump up to the $7500 or is this kind of thing pretty common? The horse owner said we are a good match and she'd rather sell him to me than the other person who made an offer. This is my first time purchasing a horse on my "own." This is so frustrating because I wouldn't have drove out to ride him had I known his real price.

Hmmm... by chance, did this happen after you put in a low-ball offer of $3000 like your trainer suggested?

lol. I was thinking about this today. Went to a clinic and saw a loffly horse there. Was told horse was for sale for $35K - REALLY nice horse. Well, lo and behold, cruising a sale site this afternoon, saw an ad for the horse for $20K. That's a pretty big jump.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Hmmm... by chance, did this happen after you put in a low-ball offer of $3000 like your trainer suggested?
    The proper response to a low-ball offer would have been for the seller to say 'No, but I will let horsy go for X' or 'No, his price is original asking price'. Raising the price is not kosher.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Ditto Star.

I wouldn't even deal with a seller who was so offended at my offer that they raised the price of the horse. Seems a little theatrical to me & I don't do drama.

Walk away - it's incredibly rude of a seller to raise the price AFTER you have driven to see the horse.
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Maybe this is just an April fools day joke.

I know it's not though but that would be a good one to pull...

OOOOhh - Walk away!

I have to share a story that happened to me along these same lines: I went to look at a horse for sale, alone, without my trainer for guidance. I tried several horses, didn't like any, until a big chestnut with 3 socks and a blaze was brought out. I watched him being ridden, jumped, and then I got on. Rode, jumped, loved. He was offered at $5,000 (this was many years ago), and I said 'I'd take him.' While walking back to the barn with the horse, seller now informs me that the horse is no longer for sale, because he's so nice, didn't realize he was so nice, wife would kill him if he sold, ...... Ok, weird, but I got in my truck and left.

Several weeks passed, and I got a phone call from seller. He told me that he'd part with his wonderful horse, only the price was now $6500. I told him that was out of my league, sorry.

Months pass. Another call from seller. Horse is now priced at $5000. I said ok, sold. Pending PPE. Horse passed PPE. I arranged for a friend and I to go pick him up. Now, this will sound incredably stupid, unbelievable, but when I went to pick up this horse, seller was nowhere to be found. Horse was x-tied in the barn....or at least I 'thought' it was the horse. Looked 'smaller' but had 3 white socks and a blaze, must be 'horse.' I found seller's barn manager, and she confirmed that this was the horse I had 'tried, jumped, bought, had a PPE done on." Wow, he sure looked smaller, but I hadn't seen him in months. Took horse home.

Several more months pass - horse was never 'quite' as exciting as I remembered (and I had been 'blown away' by my trial ride). One day, one of the boarders at the barn came in with her new horse....and I about had a heart attack! Her horse was MY horse!!! Or was the horse I should have gotten. I asked her where she got the horse, and it was from the same seller. My heart sank. Just shoot me - after the word "stupid" is stamped on my forehead. Nice 'switch-er-roo' there seller guy!!

So, moral of the story, when a seller starts screwing around with your mind, run. Fast. I'm still reeling from my episode, and it was years ago.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

That said, if anyone raises the price of a horse after you've tried it and said you liked it, run! I have had this happen to me. Told the seller to piss off, that we ( I was shopping for a client) had gone to see/try the horse with the understanding that it was priced at $X, not $X + $1000. Seller backpedaled faster than Lance Armstrong on a bad day, and reinstated the advertised price. We didn't end up buying the horse, but that was because we found a more appropriate mount for the buyer.

I'm with those who say that if the owner really did get a better offer, she would have taken it and run like hell. Walk away, and see how fast they chase you.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Wow that is a crazy story TBMaggie! It sounded like my situation at first because I went out alone without a trainer my first time -- I guess that makes me come across as a sucker? The other time I rode him the owner wasn't even there, she just had her groom get him ready for me. I also gushed on and on about how much I loved him, which I guess I shouldn't have done (as much) but if I were selling my horse I'd love to hear positive things my potential buyer had to say. I wouldn't sell my horse to someone who was just like "eh."

Well as luck (or whatever) would have it another horse I enquired about owner got back to me today, so I will be going out tomorrow to see him. So we shall see how that goes.