The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Banged Tails

Just want to get your opinions. Since moving to Ireland 8 years ago I must say I love the look and also know the practical aspect of why it's done. And if you have mulitple horses, you do not want to spend all day with tail bags and other accessories to try and keep tail clean. But practiacally, with the copious amounts of mud we have here, the tail will only be pulled out and end up thin and nasty. And tail is less likely to be weighed down by the mud either.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

i bang all my horses tails dwouldnt even consider a tail bag hair is meant for air

I do love the look of a banged tail. But I assume you are talking about a shorter length banged tail? The end of my guy's tail is "banged" but the length of the tail is pretty long (just above the fetlock)...
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

I love the look of a banged tail on a the right type horse (hunter/dressage/jumper/etc). I think it looks a smidge silly on some of the QH western pleasure horses though. They are usually too long and get stuck in their hind legs, but that's just me. Also, it would obviously be silly on any breed that prides itself on long flowing tails.

But, in general, I love them. My current project horse is a little appy and does NOT have enough tail to pull and bang = ( But he has such a nice butt, I think it would look fabulous. It has been growing though, so maybe someday.

I don't like banged tails super short though (when the tail is carried in its natural position while riding, I like the tail to fall between the hocks and fetlock, but closer to the fetlock), and I prefer them with a lightly pulled dock, but again, that's my opinion. I think it is a very tidy look though.

I agree... a banged tail looks much nicer and tidier! My mare's is fetlock length, but then again I only have one to look after

When done properly, I think it can really help a tail that's been chewed/mangled somehow. It looks like there was at least an effort put in!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I love my big guy's long tail banged, but it's still almost to the ground.

Personally I like my tails long (like, an inch off the ground long!) but I HATE it when the bottom of the tail isn't banged. I love the nice clean edge! I totally get the shorter tails for mud, and I think on the right horse they look lovely.

I love the look, and it really does help a not so full tail look a little thicker. I like it about 3/4 between the hock and pastern. But will anyone who does it really well please share their methods, as I'm still not sure I'm doing it as well as I've seen it done.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Racehorses over here are always at the hocks, I do keep mine a little higher than mid way between hock and fetlock.

And yes, QH's would look pretty silly. I hadn't considered that!

I only learned to pull a tail at the dock a couple of years ago. It is a rather nice and tidy look. But only use that when showing in hunters and I very rarely do that. But it comes in handy if they do a bit of scratching and the tail looks a mess.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I'm in the minority as I think it looks silly- but then again I refuse to pull a mane too because I can't stand the way it looks either.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I have always banged the tails and I love the look! My app/tb was blessed with a long tail, and although I have always banged it at the bottom of the fetlock joint, I am now banging it midway between the hocks and the fetlock joints because of the heavy infestation of ticks in this area. It's a little short for my tastes, but I am getting used to it.

wel it always grows back in summer but i bang mine to middle of the cannon bone below the hocks

I like the look of a banged tail too. We have about 35 horses here and I do them all. Even the yearlings get the scraglies straightened up. My clydesdale unfortunately had his tail bobbed when young long before we got him. We have let his grown (it's to his hocks now) but I still bang it to keep it looking as good as possible.

Many of them have nice thick tails so I actually use the kitchen scissors. I just walk out to the pasture and do it. They know to stand for their "tail hair cut".

I cut theirs, for the most part just at or above the fetlock joint.

I bang tails in November to help deal with the mud. By the time spring rolls around, they are back down to the ankles.

I love the look.. Unfortunately my POA has a rather thin but long tail.

Is there a certain way to cut to achieve a good banged look? Or do you just cut it straight across?
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Someone taught me this method a long time ago and it has always seemed to work well:

Spray tail with detangler and brush out gently to avoid seeing random longer hairs later. Lift tail and put your arm under it close to the dock so that your arm on either side of the tail is resting on the butt. Then take your other hand and, starting near the base of the tail bone, put it around the tail hair and slide down until you're at snipping length. I like to have the hair flat across (side to side vs. front to back of horse), but I don't know that it makes any difference.

You can cut just a little, then check and cut more if you like.

The arm under the tail at the top mimics natural carriage, so doing it this way helps you get a flat, even look at the end when the horse is going under saddle.

Mine are banged too. I hate trail-on-the-floor-tails!

I cut mine straight across, then step away to see if it's straight, step back and neaten any hairs I've missed out.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

My mare's tail is banged short, just a few inches below her hocks. When it was longer, it got so muddy, and then would get so thin from the mud pulling the hair out. Now her tail stays soooo nice and thick, it's basically in perfect condition all the time, no bagging, nothing.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I love looks of banged tails, unfortuately the look does not seem to be too popular in the hunters so I have to wait until they are retired .
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
    Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    I'm in the minority as I think it looks silly- but then again I refuse to pull a mane too because I can't stand the way it looks either.
    Ditto.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique