The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default pictures of Arabians with pulled manes?

Does anyone pull their Arabian's mane and have pictures?

I've been toying with the idea of pulling my Arabian's mane for some times now and was just curious to see pictures. He has been out of 'serious' work for a while, so I have just left his mane alone. For what it's worth, he will never do any breed shows. At this rate, I'm not sure he'll be doing much showing at all - maybe a couple rated shows per season. He will be getting into more work soon, though, and I think a pulled mane will just be easier to manage. He's a dressage horse, so the long versus short doesn't matter so much for shows... but in my area, I'm not sure I'd be able to find a braider who does a great running or french braid for shows if he does show.

He doesn't have the most gorgeous Arab mane either, so I don't feel like we'd be losing this phenomenal mane or anything... I guess it just feels weird to think about pulling it after all this time.

Anyway, does anyone pull their Arab's manes? If so, please post pics!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

My guy is 15/16ths Arab. His mane is really thick, and half white (= yellow...) when he arrived, I showed him DSB/SHIH in open competitions, so we pulled and braided. I LOVE the way he looks pulled. I keep him trimmed mostly because it pleases my eye these days.

I mostly do scallop braids.
    http://www.angelfire.com/me/innisfai...ages/dance.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/me/innisfailte/braids.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/me/innisfai...airribbons.JPG

(forelock is loose because he's a stallion. Took me awhile to get used to that look.)

I've also shown him (~*gasp*~) roached (see the current thread on the dressage forum for some great nakid neck pics of horses of all breeds!)
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...g?t=1239026856
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I don't have pictures handy, but I have known several arabs that have had their manes pulled, and it looked SUPER cute. Really shows off their nice arched necks and made them look sporty.
    Work - feed - ride - shovel poop - repeat.

I pull my arabian's mane because I don't like the look of a long mane and tail. I think that it shows off his neck when he is not doing his best camel imitation. I will post pictures tonight when I get home.

You can see pics of my Half Arab's mane pulled, AND braided in 'button' braids for showing in hand here. He's won four Regional Championships in SH In Hand:

http://www.donerailfarm.com/faxxsimile.html

I pull all my horses' manes - whatever breed they are. I just am not into the long mane look and I only show in dressage or sporthorse in hand. And I also show at open shows.

I think a long mane actually hides a nice neck and a pulled or braided mane looks so much tidier.

Thanks, everyone! The horses posted are GORGEOUS!

Y'all are starting to make me think he'll actually look cuter with a nicely pulled mane.

Pull it! I used to ride and take care of a small herd of Arabs and I desperately wanted to pull their manes, especially the one mare I showed. The owners would never let me (despite none every going to anything breed related). They HAD to have long manes, they were Arabs!!! I felt so bad for the one mare, who was dark, dark, dark bay and had a huge, thick (as in pony kinda thick) mane. She roasted every summer. And she would have looked spectacular all pulled and braided as she had a lovely long neck that was well muscled. Argh...

We had an very typey Anglo Arab for awhile here who's mane was kept short. He was cute as a button. Wish I had pictures of him.

Almost all of mine are pulled and we do hunter braids. I hate all that hair flying around and getting caught on things! I would psot photos but don't know how!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Not an Arabian, but a saddlebred with a pulled mane can be seen in my profile. I had to drink 2 beers before I cut it... it was SO long a perty.
    Dreaming in Color

Default I need Help too !!!!!

I would love to see how the Arabs look with a pulled mane..... I have my mare's (half arab) bridle path trimmed further back, Arab style... but, I just hate to pull a mane ..... She does not have the long typical arab mane, so a running braid is out of the question..... I am not sure what to do with it.. She has a bit of a short neck... What to do??????

Here are a few pics.....
    http://s540.photobucket.com/albums/g...view=slideshow

I am not sure if I have any "good" pictures, but we pulled our arabians mane, and I thought he looked super cute. It did really show off his neck and I loved it after I did it.

Arizona DQ - it looks like we have a similar mane issue (not all that long), only my guy's mane is much more "straggly" (Beautiful horse, btw!)

If he had a beautiful long mane, I don't even think I'd be considering pulling it... but honestly, he didn't get the fabulous mane gene, and I'm starting to think he'll look better with it pulled...

I like em long and short... And I have shown my Arabians both ways... If your horse has a nice neck and you don't mind spending 30-45 min braiding hunter braids them pull away... however a nice neck can be shown off with a tight running braid too... so it's all good

My stallion with a short mane (mind you his mane is super thick )

Same horse with long mane in a tight running braid

My mare a while ago... I have since let her mane grow out.

Same mare

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...98723191BoanSQ

My horse and I are not very photogenic, so this one of the few shots I have that shows his mane.

Sakura, that running braid is LOVELY. So few people (myself included) can do a really good one and that one looks really nice.

I don't have any decent pictures of my late gelding Araba Tigris with his mane pulled and braided, but he looked *much* better that way than with a full mane. Since he showed in mainly in hunter and dressage classes, it was an easy decision.

(And I even showed and placed in native costume classes with his short mane.)
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Sakura - your stallion and mare are gorgeous

And looky at Shaq all grown up! He looks so cute!!! Last time I saw him, was he even 2?

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Arizona--if you trim a little, scallop braids are as neat as a 'high & tight' french braid or hunter braids... but the mane stays a little longer (my guy's grows so fast I use scallops--I can pull for hunter braids and a couple weeks later have to scallop.)

I completely agree that scraggly is better trimmed. That is my rule. The Heathen Child (often called Fabio by those meeting him for the first time) is allowed to keep his heathen locks only as long as it's pretty and nice. The MINUTE it goes scraggly... OFF it comes!

Sakura--excellent example of what a running braid SHOULD look like, IMO. Trouble with it sometimes is it can restrict stretching down... I do Lusos here and there for exhibitions, I'm toying with not fighting to trim & thin Himself's this year and seeing it braids up french... we'll see...

I don't have many of him not-braided with it pulled... here's a couple blowing in the wind...
    http://www.angelfire.com/me/innisfailte/images/pose.gif
    http://www.angelfire.com/me/innisfai...ages/strut.JPG
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

My Arab's mane is long again, but these pictures are from when I pulled it a few years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d/DSC_0187.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...d/DSC_0202.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    Sakura - your stallion and mare are gorgeous

And looky at Shaq all grown up! He looks so cute!!! Last time I saw him, was he even 2?
    He is 9 if you can believe it!! Classy must be... 14 or so now? He never really grew after he turned 2 so he is probably the same size as the last time you saw him.

About 15 years ago there were pure breds at Arabian shows that I went to that had pulled manes. It was in the hunter under saddle and over fences classes. I'm sure they still do it for those who show in hunter only.